DAC - Mid Level
Feb 14, 2008 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 44

mrarroyo

Headphoneus Supremus
I have spent all day reading the various dac threads, to the point my eyes are about to pop out. Based on what I read a few come to the top. Before I start I should mention that I want to spend $750 or less, might go a bit higher if justifiable by improving the sound I do not need USB capability in the DAC nor do I need it to have balanced outs.

I had the Lavry DA10 as a possible contender, however at an street price of $875 a bit higher than what I want to spend. This unit has balance out only, which means I would have to purchase balance to rca cables from one of the various cable makers thus adding to the cost and being above the $1,000 mark.

So at this moment I am considering:

1. Oritek modded Zhaolu 2.5 at about $475
2. Channel Island VDA-2 w/ the VAC-1 PSU at about $759
3. Benchmark DAC1 at $975, although according to Lavry DA10 vs Benchmark DAC1: DEATHMATCH! - Topic Powered by eve community the Lavry DA10 is a better unit
4. Stello DA100 at about $695

At this moment I have not heard any of the above four dacs. Base on what I have read I like the reports on the 1, 2, and 4.

So, I am looking for comments from those of you that have heard 2 or more of the 4 listed dacs. Thanks.

Feb 14, 2008 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 44
Between 1,3,4 I prefer the Stello - but I have not heard the VDA2 and things I have been told about it were most positive.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #3 of 44
I can only recommend what I've heard, and I've ditched all of my previous DACs for the Headroom Ultra Micro DAC. At the time, it was twice what I wanted to spend on a new piece of kit. However, I am really impressed and satisfied with the level of performance from this diminutive box. At 700 USD, it's in your stated range. That said, I'd love to try out the DA100, mainly because of the defeatable upsampling. Seems like a pretty good feature.

Fred

Feb 14, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #5 of 44
I am curious if Headroom Ultra Micro DAC can fit here? And how it compared to the other candidates?

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:17 AM Post #6 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have spent all day reading the various dac threads, to the point my eyes are about to pop out. Based on what I read a few come to the top. Before I start I should mention that I want to spend $750 or less, might go a bit higher if justifiable by improving the sound I do not need USB capability in the DAC nor do I need it to have balanced outs.

I had the Lavry DA10 as a possible contender, however at an street price of $875 a bit higher than what I want to spend. This unit has balance out only, which means I would have to purchase balance to rca cables from one of the various cable makers thus adding to the cost and being above the $1,000 mark.

So at this moment I am considering:

1. Oritek modded Zhaolu 2.5 at about $475
2. Channel Island VDA-2 w/ the VAC-1 PSU at about $659
3. Benchmark DAC1 at $975, although according to Lavry DA10 vs Benchmark DAC1: DEATHMATCH! - Topic Powered by eve community the Lavry DA10 is a better unit
4. Stello DA100 at about $695

At this moment I have not heard any of the above four dacs. Base on what I have read I like the reports on the 1, 2, and 4.

So, I am looking for comments from those of you that have heard 2 or more of the 4 listed dacs. Thanks.

Used DAC1? under 800.00..

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #7 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am curious if Headroom Ultra Micro DAC can fit here? And how it compared to the other candidates?

Maybe MaloS can answer that. I think he has listened to the 2006 HR Micro DAC. I know the Ultra is supposed to be an improvement over the previous versions.

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #8 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by solvexyz /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Isn't Ultra has the same internals as regular with just additional upsampling chip? I used to own 2006 MicroDAC (regular), it was not bad paired with Transit and 24/96 SRC upsampling in foobar2000, guess that should have made it somehow closer to Ultra, but even with all that Stello DA100 directly out of USB was clearly superior, in fact I feel Pico's DAC is better than my old MicroDAC, as it is stepping on Stello's heels already, but I don't have it in my possession anymore to do A/B comparison, so take this assessment with the grain of salt.

Feb 14, 2008 at 6:18 AM Post #9 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...but even with all that Stello DA100 directly out of USB was clearly superior...

Praise like this is why I want to try out the DA100. Unfortunately, I've got to travel with my gear in the very near future. And the DA100 is much larger in comparison. That said, I may have to order one when I get to Japan.

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:03 AM Post #10 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Praise like this is why I want to try out the DA100. Unfortunately, I've got to travel with my gear in the very near future. And the DA100 is much larger in comparison. That said, I may have to order one when I get to Japan.

If you need just USB, I highly recommend Pico. It gets scarily close to DA100.

Feb 14, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #11 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you need just USB, I highly recommend Pico. It gets scarily close to DA100.

Actually, I need the optical input more than anything else. And it's hard to find one in a small form factor that matches the SQ found in larger DACs.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #12 of 44
Well, the VDA-2 is pretty small and light, and offers both optical and coaxial input. Even without the external power supply, it's still an excellent choice. There is also an adapter that allows you to create a balanced output from the VDA-2 if you decide to go balanced in the future.

Feb 14, 2008 at 3:36 PM Post #13 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Crash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, the VDA-2 is pretty small and light, and offers both optical and coaxial input. Even without the external power supply, it's still an excellent choice. There is also an adapter that allows you to create a balanced output from the VDA-2 if you decide to go balanced in the future.

Thanks, I'd never heard of it before this thread. I'll have to take a look.

Feb 14, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #14 of 44
Quote:

Originally Posted by illkemist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only recommend what I've heard, and I've ditched all of my previous DACs for the Headroom Ultra Micro DAC. At the time, it was twice what I wanted to spend on a new piece of kit. However, I am really impressed and satisfied with the level of performance from this diminutive box. At 700 USD, it's in your stated range.

I'd have to agree to this. The Ultra Micro upsamples to 24/192, and I have only heard great things about this DAC at $699US that's well within your price range. Plus this thing is tiny, and accepts USB, Optical, and Coaxial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back