DAC for under $200
Sep 5, 2011 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jbl772

100+ Head-Fier
hey guys i was wondering if someone could PLEASE help me pick a DAC for under $200 including shipping & tax.

I've been looking at the Tianyum Zero but I've been reading good and bad reviews, if someone could help me clarify whether it's any good or not.

Im going to be using this DAC with a pair of Ultrasone HFI-580's

Sep 6, 2011 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 10
I am assuming you are looking for a combined DAC/AMP? The Audinst HUD-MX1 is a commonly recomended solution.If you plan to use a seprate amp you may want to consider the HRT Music Streamer II. 

Headfonia.com has reviews on both. Scroll down to the bottom of the page under Source: http://www.headfonia.com/recommendations/

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #6 of 10
uhm i'm going to be using these with my pc and ultrasone hfi-580's...idk much about amps but i know dacs make a huge difference

and also how does it compare with the tianyun zero dac? my cousin had it and recommended it to me

Sep 7, 2011 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 10
DACs really don't make a huge difference. Your first upgrade, from onboard sound to whatever, might be huge if your motherboard has a crappy audio chip.

Your card doesn't have especially good audio quality. It's fine, just not great. You could replace it, rather than get an external DAC. Assuming the rated 101dB sensitivity of your headphone is in dB/mW, you won't need a powerful amp. The X-Fi Titanium HD is a good card. It's not nearly a good as the Essence STX for audio, and doesn't have as powerful a headphone amp, but the differences should be inaudible. I won't recommend the STX because it has a 10.7 ohm headphone output impedance that will cause problems with your Ultrasone. When and if you get headphones that need more power, use the card's RCA out to an external amp.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:27 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
i have the ht omega striker sound card

so you don't think getting a dac is worth it with the 580's?

Sound cards are DACs. They're often better than externals for the price, though low-end ones lack shielding and suffer for it. They don't need to include a power supply of their own, they don't have a fancy expensive enclosure, they don't need any digital inputs, all of which cost a surprising amount of money. They also offer sound processing for games and movies, if you like that sort of thing. All in all, a good investment for computer sources.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back