DAC for laptop
Dec 23, 2012 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

AUTigers2016

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm a college student starting off on the path of being an audiophile. That being said, I unfortunately cannot spend ridiculous amounts of money on audio components yet. I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M50s which I mainly listen to through my Dell laptop, and I do not have an amplifier for them yet. I can either buy a DAC and an amp separately or buy something with both built in. I was hoping you all could give me good recommendations for a DAC (or DAC/amp combo) below $200 that I can use to compliment my headphones.

Dec 23, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #2 of 7
Dec 23, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #3 of 7
Fiio E10 USB-DAC-Headphone amplifier, only $44.99 at Adorama.
http://www.adorama.com/FIE10.html

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #4 of 7
I appreciate the replies. I checked out both the Schiit Modi/Magna combo and they seem like they'd be a better buy than the Fiio E10 (and they look pretty sweet too). How would the Fiio E17 stack up compared to the Schiit stuff?

Dec 23, 2012 at 1:41 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
I appreciate the replies. I checked out both the Schiit Modi/Magna combo and they seem like they'd be a better buy than the Fiio E10 (and they look pretty sweet too). How would the Fiio E17 stack up compared to the Schiit stuff?

I would still suggest getting the E10, sell off the ATH-M50 and put all the cash towards better headphones (not really against the ATH-M50, but should be able to get better).

Dec 26, 2012 at 4:09 AM Post #6 of 7
I have the Fiio E17, but like another user said I don't think those M50's really need a DAC or an amp, they should be able to run fine with your laptop.  That being said I have owned both the Fiio E10 and the E17 and the sound is fairly comparable, but go with the E17 if you want more functionality (EQ, portability, S/PDIF, all that jazz)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back