DAC for ipad
Feb 18, 2011 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

codeninja

100+ Head-Fier
I'd like to ask for your suggestion on DAC that ca use with my iPad. I intend to get little dot mkivse, but little dot DAC seems pricy to me. I'm intending to spend less than $100 on DAC as long as it won't cripple my overall system. Thanks for you suggestions in advance.

Feb 19, 2011 at 1:06 AM Post #2 of 14
Feb 21, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
I'd like to ask for your suggestion on DAC that ca use with my iPad. I intend to get little dot mkivse, but little dot DAC seems pricy to me. I'm intending to spend less than $100 on DAC as long as it won't cripple my overall system. Thanks for you suggestions in advance.

For 100 dollars?  I would just buy some great headphones, and use the ipad default headphones out. If u are trying to get a Dac so u can use the Airplay/airtunes, then that is a whole different path.   

Feb 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM Post #5 of 14

Quote:
I might be wrong, but the Cypher Labs Algorythm Solo which is about to come out should work?  If it works for an iPhone I'm guessing it will work with the iPad.

I know the PS audio DLIII works for the Ipad, But i cant get the Camera adapter to work with the Iphone/ipod touch.  In general, if the Dac doesn't need additional softwares or drivers, it should work with the Ipad via Camera adapter USB out.  Keep in mind that it is still functioning at 16 bit via USB out, so one is better off using the Optical out via Airtunes with airport express or some sort of UPNP so one can use the  ipad/touch/phone without wires.  

Feb 22, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #6 of 14

Quote:
I know the PS audio DLIII works for the Ipad, But i cant get the Camera adapter to work with the Iphone/ipod touch.  In general, if the Dac doesn't need additional softwares or drivers, it should work with the Ipad via Camera adapter USB out.  Keep in mind that it is still functioning at 16 bit via USB out, so one is better off using the Optical out via Airtunes with airport express or some sort of UPNP so one can use the  ipad/touch/phone without wires.  

The camera adapter doesn't work with the iPhone or touch as you're finding out. 

Spot on with software and drivers, they need to be standard stuff.  Also keep in mind that you need to make sure the power draw of the DAC isn't too high or you'll get an error, more of a portable issue.

An airport express is limited to 16 bit output as well, and only at a 44.1kHz sample rate.  When you play higher sample rates iTunes sample-rate-converts the data in real time before sending it to the AE.

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:22 PM Post #7 of 14

Quote:
The camera adapter doesn't work with the iPhone or touch as you're finding out. 

Spot on with software and drivers, they need to be standard stuff.  Also keep in mind that you need to make sure the power draw of the DAC isn't too high or you'll get an error, more of a portable issue.

An airport express is limited to 16 bit output as well, and only at a 44.1kHz sample rate.  When you play higher sample rates iTunes sample-rate-converts the data in real time before sending it to the AE.

Yeah,  AE is still only 16 bit, etc...  and it is cater towards more casual listening, but not having wires, and AC noise etc.. ( Via optical) is a plus.  Now u can also stream Pandora, and almost any apps sound is really nice.  

Feb 22, 2011 at 3:33 PM Post #8 of 14
I just recently purchased a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic to run via Airport Express, and honestly I couldn't tell a difference between that and the LOD of my iPad.  I don't mean to stir up an age old debate here, but if you go back to the 2004 CES where David Wilson ran a demo of his Sophias off of an iPod (no external DAC) against a competing system (B&W) running off a Krell front end, he shocked a lot of 'golden ears' (from Absolute Sound no less) when only after the demo he revealed the source units.  My point is iPods (and Pads) IMHO sound a LOT better than people give them credit for if using decent (224kbps+ or Lossless) files.  And you might have to spend a lot more than a few hundred dollars to get better sound out of your iPod/Pad.  Be careful and shop with your ears!  :wink:

Feb 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #9 of 14

Quote:
I just recently purchased a Cambridge Audio Dacmagic to run via Airport Express, and honestly I couldn't tell a difference between that and the LOD of my iPad.  I don't mean to stir up an age old debate here, but if you go back to the 2004 CES where David Wilson ran a demo of his Sophias off of an iPod (no external DAC) against a competing system (B&W) running off a Krell front end, he shocked a lot of 'golden ears' (from Absolute Sound no less) when only after the demo he revealed the source units.  My point is iPods (and Pads) IMHO sound a LOT better than people give them credit for if using decent (224kbps+ or Lossless) files.  And you might have to spend a lot more than a few hundred dollars to get better sound out of your iPod/Pad.  Be careful and shop with your ears!  :wink:

yeah, But now u dont have to disconnect, and connect wires to your main set-up.  furthermore, some dac gives u the multiple connections for USB, ect.....so basically a dac is like pre-amp for 2011

Feb 22, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #10 of 14

Quote:
yeah, But now u dont have to disconnect, and connect wires to your main set-up.  furthermore, some dac gives u the multiple connections for USB, ect.....so basically a dac is like pre-amp for 2011

I ended up returning the Dacmagic, but the thing I did like about it were the number of inputs (USB, Toslink, Coax, etc).  While I am a bit skeptical about the advantages of an outboard DAC <$1k, I am looking at the Emotiva XDA-1 for the reason you mentioned- it would make an excellent digital preamp with it's multiple inputs and remote volume control.  And yes, it's very cool to be able to use the iPad free of wires and get top quality sound via the AE, which I can still do from the analog out of the AE- which IMHO is about the same SQ as the DACs on most of their other devices.

Feb 22, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #11 of 14

Quote:
Yeah,  AE is still only 16 bit, etc...  and it is cater towards more casual listening, but not having wires, and AC noise etc.. ( Via optical) is a plus.  Now u can also stream Pandora, and almost any apps sound is really nice.  

[size=10pt]I totally agree.  The SQ can be debated, but not the convenience!  I really enjoy having an additional rig set up with an AE so I can access my entire library with Airtunes, stream some Pandora, etc… all controlled by the iPad, very slick.  If I want to do some critical listening it’s going to be reserved for the main rig, but the quality is fine for my regular music enjoyment![/size]

Feb 23, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #12 of 14
Well, actually the best part of a nice DAC and AE is for friends to stream "their music" to the AE . I don't have to connect and disconnect wires for different songs/albums. I believe the most important chain in a system are the speakers.

Mar 3, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #14 of 14
I got the Fiio E7 and it sounds pretty good with the Ipad. Got for about $100 from Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back