DAC for HD-598
Sep 24, 2012 at 6:38 AM Post #16 of 19
imo a neutral headphone is more flexible than a lets say bass heavy headphone, a neutral can be tuned to be bass heavier or have sparkle in treble, you cant make a bassheavy headphone into a sparkly headphone, (example, boosting the bass of a srh940, desasterous distorded bass, and treble boosting a bass heavy XB700, will give you harsh treble, but then again it depends on the individual headphone itself)

*250 band eq plugin for winamp*

with this eq (plus a Hippo Box amp with bass boost setting, compensated in the graph) i managed to get them to have satisfactory subbass response, and add sparkle into the treble, and remove quite a good amount of the veil in these headphones (yes i know the bassboost is very severe in this graph, but oh well it works, subbass kicks hard now, midbass boomyness is gone, vocals are deeper and more crisp sounding, and imo more natural)
eq is powerful
tongue.gif

but has limits.

not to forget this tuning is done for EDM ,electronic music and Dn'B, so it may not work with softer genres of music

Jun 21, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #18 of 19
So do you recommend a DAC/Amp for the HD598? 

Will it be a significant improvement compared to without it? 

And for something worthwhile, how much should I look to spend? (On a PC)

It's been a while, thank you in advance if you're still here :)

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:48 AM Post #19 of 19
Quote:
So do you recommend a DAC/Amp for the HD598? 

Will it be a significant improvement compared to without it? 

And for something worthwhile, how much should I look to spend? (On a PC)

It's been a while, thank you in advance if you're still here :)

The Magni/Modi stack works very well with the HD598 and my personal opinion:

First go for an Amp, then for a DAC. Under the condition that the output of your PC is decent.

The first time I connected my HD598 via the Schiit Asgard from my Mac (without DAC) was like a revelation to me. It sounded just sooo good.

The Asgard can be bought new (in the updated Asgard 2 version) for $249 and I think it's perfect (and recommended by Schiit) for the Sennheisers. So it really makes them shine.

Cheers,
K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back