DAC For DT990 250 Ohm
Sep 20, 2013 at 9:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Tyranade

New Head-Fier
Hey there. I am going to be purchasing some DT990 250 Ohm Headphones and would like an External Amp/DAC Combo unit thingy that is USB powered that is Capable of driving these Headphones. Problem is I don't know what one to buy. I have look at dozens of the things and I don't know what to get.

Sep 21, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #2 of 5
I just ordered a pair of these cans from amazon and am looking into a good amp/dac as well. I have decided on 1 of 2 courses of action fiio e17 or Schiit Magni headphone amplifier with a xonar Dx sound card. I guess a xonar essence stx with the Schitt amp might be a good option as well. 

Sep 21, 2013 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 5
  Hey there. I am going to be purchasing some DT990 250 Ohm Headphones and would like an External Amp/DAC Combo unit thingy that is USB powered that is Capable of driving these Headphones. Problem is I don't know what one to buy. I have look at dozens of the things and I don't know what to get.

Did you have a budget?
Cheapest external USB DAC/Amp for driving the DT990s is the Fiio E10, $62-$75

Sep 24, 2013 at 5:15 PM Post #4 of 5
Did you have a budget?
Cheapest external USB DAC/Amp for driving the DT990s is the Fiio E10, $62-$75

I think the Fiio E10 is something that one can expand upon, too. Even if at some point in the future, you would desire to upgrade your amplifier, you can still keep the E10 and run it strictly as a DAC. I'm running mine with a Little Dot I+ hybrid amp and driving a pair of Grado RS1i headphones. That combination is a delight to listen to as the bass and mids are perfect and the upper frequencies are not harsh. When using my Audio-GD fun (with 2 Wolfson DAC chips), there is much more mid-range present and seems "shouty" to me along with the upper frequencies pushing the Grado combination a bit further than I'd like and making the sound not quite as pleasant.

It's hard to believe that the E10 provides some greatness for the little cost that it sells for. On the other hand, you'll hear and read of others that really put the E10 down after they've moved onto another DAC. They'll then claim how horrible of a performer the E10 was. But, the key here is how it all sounds to you. We all have different tastes, but I was kind of surprised with how well it has been working for me during the past week.

I could easily spend $300 on a DAC at the moment. But, I'm stuck in "analysis paralysis" at the moment and would hate to drop big money and have a sound that might not be to my liking. Just because a $300 DAC is more costly than the E10, it doesn't mean that it is always better. I've been up and down the chain before and there are some nice surprises in the "affordable" categories that should not be overlooked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back