DAC/Amp vs new headphones?
Feb 6, 2020 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WeaponX

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. I own the IE 800 and sometimes I miss the punchy bass of the IE 80, what do you recommend? a budget (max $130) dac/amp or instead buy ATH-M50x or HD 569?

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #2 of 8
Hi everyone. I own the IE 800 and sometimes I miss the punchy bass of the IE 80, what do you recommend? a budget (max $130) dac/amp or instead buy ATH-M50x or HD 569?

The IE800 is more like the HD800 while the IE80 is more like the HD650 with even more bass, ie instead of just toning down everything above 1000hz with a slight boost below that, it really boosts everything below 500hz. Unless you use a DAC-HPamp with bass boost, or alternately, use an EQ software to apply the boost and just use the DAC-HPamp so you get farther off from clipping the signal with more power headroom, changing the headphone would have a more drastic effect...except if for example you feed an M50X 5watts and chances are you just get dark and boomy than punchy bass.

For that budget I'd just try EQ first. What device are you using? If you're on a Windows computer try Equalizer APO and input this:
20hz - +3dB
35hz - +3dB
70hz - +3dB
140hz - +2dB
1500hz - -3dB

If the bass gets distorted or you hear outright clipping maybe try a good DAC-HPamp.

Feb 7, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #4 of 8
Change the headphone. A DAC and amp are designed to not color the sound. If you are not pleased with your sound signature changing the driver is your best shot and getting results. Plus, if you swap our your old gear and don't do an A/B test how do you know for sure you've upgraded?

I bet you will like the M50x, but the pads need care in the long run. It's always a good idea to apply little leather lotion to them once ever 6 months to keep them from cracking.

If you do any traveling especially on jets I suggest you stick with IEM's. In that case head over to joker's master IEM list and see if one of them fits your budget and sound signature.

Give the Audio-Technica ATH-CKM500 a try.
$60 new
Good bass, but a slight V-shape sound signature which can be good for IEM listening on the move.

WARNING
This thread can crash old computers and web browsers due to it's sheer size!

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mul...audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106.478568/

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 8
I just try APO and now I get interesting variations, thanks. Any special recommendation for listening rock/metal (Deftones, Messhugah, Pearl Jam...)?

You mean the EQ settings? I only set the EQ to get the overall response mostly flat down to 20hz, witha slight bias at 35hz to 800hz over everything else. I use that for everythign from K-Pop to power metal.

Feb 8, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 8
Some dac/amps do have bass boost like the Fiio E10K Olympus2 and it adds a bass boost that does sound good which I'm surprised to be honest. Before I got my E10K, I used the Realteks Sound Manager that's been installed on my MSI motherboard. It depends on which motherboard you have and mine for example comes with many different pre-installed EQ settings installed and they do sound nice.

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 8
You mean the EQ settings? I only set the EQ to get the overall response mostly flat down to 20hz, witha slight bias at 35hz to 800hz over everything else. I use that for everythign from K-Pop to power metal.
Yeah, Actually using some options which I find on audio device properties giving it a boost value of 6db to the bass it really reminds me of the IE80. So I pretty good right now, this little headphone can kind of do everything

Feb 8, 2020 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Some dac/amps do have bass boost like the Fiio E10K Olympus2 and it adds a bass boost that does sound good which I'm surprised to be honest. Before I got my E10K, I used the Realteks Sound Manager that's been installed on my MSI motherboard. It depends on which motherboard you have and mine for example comes with many different pre-installed EQ settings installed and they do sound nice.
Yeah I've been looking to buy the Fiio K3 because it says that is Hi-Res just like the IE800, and indeed it has a bass boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back