DAC+amp: Mac (USB) >> DAC-amp >> Grado 325i -- around $500?
Apr 10, 2008 at 12:11 PM Post #108 of 113
Has anyone compared it to the Headfive?
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2008 at 8:45 AM Post #109 of 113
For anyone interested. My $500 budget squeezed out of my wallet, and turned into a $900 mini-DAC. Why not Duet? Well, several reasons:
1. Duet won't work if my MacBook fails me, and my MacBook does indeed do freaky things now and then. That is also why I chose FireWire and not just plain (optical). The mini is in other words far more versatile as far as source goes - which many of you here, including the Duet fans, pointed out.
2. Some of youse had problems with the Duet, like when Time Machine set in.
3. The mini-DAC has a dual clock, and should therefore be more independent on the quality of the optical signal. It also has an upsampling of the incoming DC, and is in a way therefore also very independent of the PSU quality.
4. Larry (HeadphoneAddict) told me about the sigma-11 and the advantages of a PSU that delivers ample quantity of current.
5. From your described differences in sound quality in different threads between the mini, the Duet and the DAC1, the mini's "warm" quality sounds like the perfect match for my preferences + cans.

But that is of course not the end of it. I also bought a pair of MD5000, and have my eyes (and money) on a Cowon i7, a pair of RS-1, and some IEMs for the treadmill ... probably Atrio M5 if I believe they will fit my ears.

What's more, I am now on the prowl for a proper amp ($2000 class) to buy in a couple of years. In a couple of years, guys, for I am truly broke now! This site is indeed a dangerous place.

May 9, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #111 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Solan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I noticed that the frequency diagrams at HeadRoom actually show that k701 has proportionately more deep bass than DT880. But then again, DT880 are closed, which might be useful in circumstances where closed cans are contraindicated.

I've also wondered about the DT770 for that deep bass experience. Neutral? Heck, no! But for those pieces where you enjoy sub 50Hz bass, they seem to offer a lot. (Are those the so called Darth Beyers?). But is the bass controlled?

BTW: The 325i don't lack in overall bass. But they're a bit weak in deep bass, sub 50Hz, at least with my current set-up.

For the record - the DT880's are actually a semi-open design which provides, imo, a nice balance between bass response and soundstage. With a proper amp, and the right tubes, I don't think you'd find them lacking in solid, controlled bass, should you elect to consider this option somewhere down the road.

Congrats to you on your new mini-DAC!

May 9, 2008 at 8:07 PM Post #112 of 113
Thanks, skeptic. My first pair of real headphones were Beyers, so I am friendly towards them, and will at a minimum audition a pair of 880s in the years to come.

May 10, 2008 at 5:57 AM Post #113 of 113
I've had a Predator before and it was really an excellent amp even before any real burn in. It is also smaller than a pack of cigs.
However I have received a Corda Cantate today that I bought in the FS forum for around 475 and I have to say it is a step above the Predator in every measure.
The biggest difference between the two I'd say is the soundstage and bass slam. But still, with the Grados, both amps will be more than fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back