DAC & AMP for Moondrop Blessing 2
May 9, 2020 at 11:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DrStrangelove96

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, recently I decided to step up my audio hardware and, starting from the headphone itself, I bought a pair of Moondrop Blessing 2 IEM. Coming from a pair of shure se 215 the improvements are solid but not that impressive to be honest.

I use a new MacBook Pro as a source, and use ripped FLAC songs as files. I'm wondering how to improve the quality further, so I thought about AMPs and DACs. I still have to comprehended exactly how they works, and I read that usually AMPs are't required for IEM. So I'm asking your advice, do I really need those, and in case, which device(s) do you recommend me? (200$ max budget, the lower the better)

May 10, 2020 at 4:38 PM Post #2 of 6
The 22-Ohm Moondrop Blessing 2 IEM would be very easy to drive, so not much amp power is need.
Apple products usually come with a very decent DAC function.
Would you consider getting a DAP (Digital Audio Player), that could be used as a DAC/amp, when connected to the Macbook, but also something you could use by itself, for listening while traveling?

May 10, 2020 at 4:45 PM Post #3 of 6
Macbook Pro's have good audio out, well they did, not sure about the newest models. I think you should be perfectly fine using that. I have a Late 2013 MBP I still use and it has great audio out, even though I don't use it much because I do have a DAC/Amp. Save your money, you're good.

May 10, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #4 of 6
Macbook Pro's have good audio out, well they did, not sure about the newest models. I think you should be perfectly fine using that. I have a Late 2013 MBP I still use and it has great audio out, even though I don't use it much because I do have a DAC/Amp. Save your money, you're good.
My two cents.
The Macbook's headphone jack, to have good damping control (for driving the 22-Ohm IEMs), would be having an output impedance of around 3-Ohms or less.
Would be nice to know the output impedance of the Macbook?
Also doubt the output impedance for the current hardware, is a big deal.

Jun 26, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #6 of 6
you'll get lots of different opinions on this topic, for me personally a good DAC/Amp is crucial, and after getting a CHORD Mojo I lose interest in listening very quickly when using my IEMs with the other options I have available. That said, I bought a Tempotec Sonata Pro on Aliexpress for $45 and find it to be quite decent. Comes with USB-C and Lightning cables which makes it quite versatile.

The other question is if the Blessing 2 is the right IEM for you. The SE215 has a lot more bass/mid bass and I suppose the Blessing sounds MUCH cleaner but also leaner. Is that what you like? If not, then you'd possibly be better off with another IEM with a signature that suits your taste better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back