DAC/Amp for Fidelio X1: Ratings and Recommendations Compilation Thread
Nov 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #16 of 31
I just wanted to add the comment that my ratings are based on a scale that only contains the x-1

IE: 10 on my scale is what I think is the best possible sound from a x-1

I noticed some people using this survey to place the x-1 on a scale with audio minerva or other combos compared.  It was my impression that this survey was to rate amp/dac combined with the x-1, and that is what MY ratings reflect.

Nov 16, 2013 at 5:13 PM Post #20 of 31
I've heard many descriptions of the Fidelio that describe it as a bassy yet neutral headphone - would that be correct? On that basis would a Sabre ES90189 based DAC (dry and neutral) be about the best you could get for extracting the maximum amount of detail out of the Fidelio.

Nov 17, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #21 of 31
 Anyone hear the X1 with the Soloist SL? Looking for a decent new amp, but wondering if it's too much for the X1's. Unfortunately, at the moment I don't have any other HP's. Thinking of going with the Shure 1540s as my go to closed back though.

Nov 17, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #22 of 31
NAD D1050 also a good pairing with the Fidelio X1. I rate it 7/10 like the ODAC/O2 setup. O2 might be finding the last low notes and be harder hitting, whereas D1050 might have bigger soundstage, but differences are very very subtle. D1050 DAC only + O2 also works really well. But i rate the D1050 as a much better DAC for my 2-channel fullsize rig where ODAC does not sound good at all.

Nov 17, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #23 of 31
  NAD D1050 also a good pairing with the Fidelio X1. I rate it 7/10 like the ODAC/O2 setup. O2 might be finding the last low notes and be harder hitting, whereas D1050 might have bigger soundstage, but differences are very very subtle. D1050 DAC only + O2 also works really well. But i rate the D1050 as a much better DAC for my 2-channel fullsize rig where ODAC does not sound good at all.

Thanks, I've added this to the table.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #24 of 31

1 being the sound quality of an mp3 listened to on an iPod with the default earbuds that come with it and 10 being the ultimate headphone experience.

What would a 10/10 be for the best amp for the Fidelio? I realize you can sift through the results as they are based on different scales;  but some people's entries are based on some very expensive headphones and DAC/amps.

Nov 20, 2013 at 7:28 PM Post #25 of 31
@Gun - yeah PTom revised the scales from 1-10. Read each entry individually, not compared to the others. A headphone and amp combo that God uses compared to a Fidelio and an E07K wouldn't really help
smile.gif

Nov 21, 2013 at 5:59 AM Post #26 of 31
Comparing the ratings of the Fidelio X1 driven directly from a laptop or iPod to a given amp/DAC should give you a rough idea of how much of improvement you can expect. I think relative increases are more informative than absolute numbers since like you said everyone has a different 10. [I'm not sure if there is a way to make an objective 10 since everyone has had different experiences with headphones and have different expectations?] 

However, I think the comments are probably more useful and the consensus seems to be that  people generally feel that the Fidelio X1 doesn't require much amping and performs pretty well directly out of laptops/iPods.

Nov 21, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #27 of 31
Got the Compass 2 (Sabre). Bass tightened up nicely and the treble's improved. Very happy.

May 1, 2014 at 5:14 PM Post #30 of 31
I'm surprised it took me so long to find this thread considering I've done nothing but research this headphones, which is still happening after purchasing and receiving them. I like them A LOT. This survey was great; I was considering a lot of different amps/DACs but after trying them with a few different DACs/amps already, I agree you can run them on anything. I think they scale up decently from a portable device.

One thing I did notice is that on a DJ mixer, I had to turn the headphone volume up higher than with my ATH-M50s. I'm not sure how their impedance differs, but just an observation I felt like sharing. I also noticed the X1s sound fine through a Yamaha receiver where as the M50s sounded like I was listening to a lower quality audio file.

Thinking I'll just stick with my setup and maybe get an SBZ for surround purposes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back