DAC/AMP for Beyerdynamic DT 990
Apr 22, 2012 at 5:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 39

NoMatterWhat

Head-Fier
Hi, I'm going to buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT990 soon but currently I don't have any AMP or dedicated DAC. I have been reading forums in search of the answer for me but I couldn't find exacly what I wanted. My budget is about 400 $ for DAC and AMP. Before a lot of Hi-fiers recommended Meier's AMPS for DT 990's but now they are no longer available and new ones replaced them, so what AMPS are now recommended for DT 990's?. I have also read a lot of good opinions about Audio-GD NFB-12 , Music Fidelity V-DAc v2 and HRT MSII but I don't know how they suit DT 990's.
Im mostly listening to reggae, electronic music, rock ,rap, mostly dynamic and I like good bass.
  • And here is the question, I have read a lot about tube amps, that they work very well with Dt 990 but are they dynamic enought to handle these types of music? I think that SS amps are more of dynamic and warm but I could be wrong.
  • Are tube amps or SS amps better for that type of music? 

Apr 22, 2012 at 8:34 AM Post #2 of 39
First question:   what impedance DT880s are you looking at?
I suspect that a Soild State amp would be better for those types of music.
I currently use DT880 600 ohm with a tube headphone amp, but I would not use this if I want tight punchy bass.
My tube set up is rather on the warm side with slightly soft bass.
For rock I usualy use my Matrix M Stage solid state headphone amp, but I don't think is amp is a good choice for the DT880s. The Matrix really tights up the bass and makes it really punch but there is something rather bland about that combo. 
I'd like to get another solid state amp for my DT880s

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 39
There are single tube headphone amplifiers sold on eBay that can power 250-Ohm and 600-Ohm headphones.
Prices start at $50, better ones start at $80 (Indeed G2).
Shipped from China, takes 10 days.

The DAC Destroyer (USB/DAC) can sell on eBay for as little as $50.
Ships from Canada.

So for about $130 you can power your DT880 headphones

Apr 22, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #5 of 39
Maybe there is but it is not a choice for the future, I would rather buy Audio-GD NFb-12 and in 2 months buy some AMP. But my question then is what AMP would be good there, I mean dynamic and with good bass, I don't think that Tube amps offer it, so maybe some SS ones?

Apr 22, 2012 at 1:36 PM Post #6 of 39
Right now I am listening to 600 ohm DT880s with a dinky little iBasso D12 Amp/DAC and for $275 it sounds amazing.
I wouldn't worry too much about getting 600 ohm DT880s.
They have a reputation for sounding better than the 250 ohm versions.
I have only heard the NFB-12 for a few minutes but it will have no trouble driving 600 ohm DT880s.

Apr 22, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #7 of 39
But the sound of Audio-GD NFB-12 works well with DT 880, I mean everthing will be fine, not too much highs, clear mids, good bass and dynamic that I need ? . And if I bought that DAc what AMP would be good in the future for around 200-250 $ ? Because the NFB-12 has very good DAC but AMP is worth upgrading because it won't drive those headphones to very good level.
Are there any good alternatives to NFB-12 at that price ? For example HRT Music Streamer II + some AMP that can drive those HP.

Apr 22, 2012 at 5:14 PM Post #8 of 39

Quote:
But the sound of Audio-GD NFB-12 works well with DT 880, I mean everthing will be fine, not too much highs, clear mids, good bass and dynamic that I need ? . And if I bought that DAc what AMP would be good in the future for around 200-250 $ ? Because the NFB-12 has very good DAC but AMP is worth upgrading because it won't drive those headphones to very good level.
Are there any good alternatives to NFB-12 at that price ? For example HRT Music Streamer II + some AMP that can drive those HP.

I have only tried the NFB-12 with a pair of Grados.
Technically, it should be clean enough and flat enough and powerful enough for DT880s, but I can't say that an NFB-12 will compliment a pair of DT880s.  I have nothing bad to say about the NFB-12, for the money it has a good reputation, I just don't know enough about it to recommend using it with DT880s or any other headphones.  My friend likes his NFB-12 with his Grado RS-2s, though.
I doubt you will have any problems getting enough volume out of the NFB-12 if you use it with 600 ohm DT880s, they are not that difficult to drive.
I think the DAC is good enough to use if you want to get a better amp in the future, like a vacuum tube amp for a different sound.
I can really only offer opinions about stuff that I own or I have heard extensively.

Apr 22, 2012 at 6:04 PM Post #9 of 39
thanks for reply. Now that I know something about NFB-12 I need to hear some opinions about hrt music streamer II + amp of choice. What would you say about Objective2 amp, is it good or there are better desktop amps under 200$? i woul like to listen somebody who had experience with dt 880 and knows what plays well with them.

Apr 22, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #10 of 39

Quote:
thanks for reply. Now that I know something about NFB-12 I need to hear some opinions about hrt music streamer II + amp of choice. What would you say about Objective2 amp, is it good or there are better desktop amps under 200$? i woul like to listen somebody who had experience with dt 880 and knows what plays well with them.

A lot will depend on what music preferences you have, and what sonic preferences you have - as different combinations will yield different results.

Personally I think the NFB-12 pairs nicely with the DT880 (I have the 600 ohm).  The NFB 12 is not overly detailed (on the 2x and 4x settings), but with the filters, you can adjust the sound to suit - from very warm (2x oversampling) to quite detailed (8x oversampling).  For the cost, it combines a good 'entry to mid level' DAC (dual WM8741) with a reasonably good entry level SS amp.  And it does the drive the Beyers pretty well.  There is plenty of power there anyway.  The form factor and features punch above their weight for the price.

I do like some detail and sparkle - which is the main reason I got the DT880s - neutral presentation overall with a slight lift in both the bass and highs (but still more flat to me than V shaped).  I also really enjoyed the Beyers with a tube amp - had a PortaTube formerly - and when I had the 250ohm Pros, they really sang with that combo.  The tubes seem to bring the mids out a little more - gives it that touch of euphoria in the mids that it's missing.  So I've recently purchased an LD MkIV - and really looking forward to it's arrival, so that I can pair it with the NFB-12 DAC.

I can report back when the LD arrives - should be later this week.  But for now I'm pretty happy with my set-up - for the next year (maybe longer) anyway
wink.gif
.  If this is just a stepping stone though, you may be better buying a separate dac and separate amp.  Reason is that it is easier then to step your way up.  However - if you have a limited budget - and looking for a good SS amp/dac, then you may find the NFB-12 hard to beat.  I originally came from an E7 + E9 combo - and for me it was nowhere near the NFB-12 sonically.  Plenty of power - but too dry, thin and sterile.  The NFB-12 has more body - and I think that's what the DT880 need (for my preferences anyway).  The problem with going separate components is that the cost to get decent gear can be pretty steep.  For me to upgrade into mid-fi (my idea of it anyway) I'd be looking at a Bifrost next as the DAC.  I won't be too badly off - having the LD already.  But if I had to get both, it's a significant outlay.

Hope this helps. (Just re-iterating I am an NFB-12 and DT880/600 owner - so this from first hand experience).

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:46 AM Post #11 of 39
Thanks for reply, helped me a lot. As I said in the first post I listen to reggae, electronic music, some rock and generally like dynamic and good bass.  After your arrival tell me your music preferences and tell me whether the tube amps are good in dynamic music, bacause all I could read was that tube amps are warm but they are not dynamic enought for some types of music for example for those which I like. Do you think that HRT Streamer is sonically same level as NFB-12 DAC? And also will that NFB-12 be good in my music preferences?

Apr 23, 2012 at 8:55 AM Post #12 of 39
Unfortunately haven't had the pleasure of listening to any of the HRT amps - but reviews on them are pretty favourable.  You really need to talk to an HRT owner, or visit an HRT dedicated thread.

As far as the NFB-12 goes, I wouldn't be recommending it for the DT880 if I didn't think it pairs well.  I find it's added warmth and body help the DT880 which can sometimes be a little dry.  I have no issues with bass impact.  I'll post again once my LD arrives - and give you an update on how the Beyers sound with that.

Apr 23, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #14 of 39
I already have SS (NFB-12), but wanted to go tubes mainly for the DT880  - just to add some euphonics/dynamics to the mid-range.  I've heard the 880 with a hybrid tube before, and for me it added the small touch of magic that the Beyer was missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back