DAC/AMP for Alpha Dog cans?
Feb 10, 2015 at 6:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Delta9

New Head-Fier
So I'm probably going to buy a pair of Alpha Dog's with my tax return. I run all my headphones off of my computer via the motherboard.

I was thinking of getting an amp but don't know what one to buy. I'd rather not break the bank with it but suggestions are welcome. I was thinking something like the 02+DAC from JDS labs.

Feb 11, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #2 of 19
"Break the bank" doesn't mean much since that amount is different for everyone. You should post a budget.

The ODAC/O2 are very good for the money. Also consider the Schiit Modi 2/Magni 2.

I would imagine if you skim through this thread, you could find what kinds of amps people are using with them: http://www.head-fi.org/t/676095/mrspeakers-alpha-dog-revealed-the-worlds-first-production-3d-printed-headphones

Feb 11, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #5 of 19
The Schiit stack, ODAC/O2, and Audio-GD NFB-15 would be my recommendation.

Probably going to go with the Schiit stack (Magni 2/Modi 2).

I really appreciate the help, as I'm pretty noob to the whole "high-end" audio spectrum. Most of my $$$ has gone into my computer setup over the years. I've mainly dealt with $100-300 headphones and never felt the need to dive any deeper until now.

My other question is when I purchase the Mangi 2/Modi 2 combo, will it come with required cables or will I have to buy those seperately? Also how will it interface with my computer and what cable type should I choose for my headphones (Alpha Dogs)? The 1/4" or the 3.5mm?

I have the following ports on my motherboard -

1 x Optical S/PDIF out
6 x Audio jack(s) (3.5mm)

So I figure I can go the audio route, or the usb route for connectivity. Currently I'm running my wireless gaming headset off the optical, but I can swap that to USB with no issues.

I figure I'll also need a set of PYST Short RCA Cables, and another 1/8" to Standard Toslink Cable.

Thanks for the help.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #6 of 19
Yes. You have to buy cables. A lot of audio manufacturers don't include cables because people either (a) already have some or (b) want to choose their own.

Be sure to get the Modi 2 with optical input (you have to choose between USB and optical). That's what you'll use to connect your motherboard to the Modi. Amazon Basics has inexpensive optical cables that have worked well for me.

Then, you are right. Those short PSYS cables are a good choice for connecting the Modi and Magni.

If you would ever like to hook up powered speakers or speaker amp+passive speakers for your setup, it is worth investing the extra in the Magni Uber 2 to get the pre-out capability for hooking them up.

Feb 11, 2015 at 3:33 PM Post #7 of 19
Yes. You have to buy cables. A lot of audio manufacturers don't include cables because people either (a) already have some or (b) want to choose their own.

Be sure to get the Modi 2 with optical input (you have to choose between USB and optical). That's what you'll use to connect your motherboard to the Modi. Amazon Basics has inexpensive optical cables that have worked well for me.

Then, you are right. Those short PSYS cables are a good choice for connecting the Modi and Magni.

If you would ever like to hook up powered speakers or speaker amp+passive speakers for your setup, it is worth investing the extra in the Magni Uber 2 to get the pre-out capability for hooking them up.

So the Modi 2 Uber then, which is fine by me. Also the Magni 2 has a 1/4" jack int he front yes? If so I'll need to get the 1/4" cable when I order the headphones or get a 3.5mm -> 1/4" adapter.

Feb 16, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #11 of 19
Sorry for bumping such an old thread.

Wanted to ask about a similar situation, I have modi 2 (not uber). Will that be enough to drive these headphones? They only have usb and no AC adapter.

Feb 16, 2016 at 10:51 PM Post #13 of 19
A Modi is a DAC, not a headphone amp. You need a headphone amp to use with the Modi to drive headphones.

Err, ****ed up my post. I have magni 2 + modi 2. I was trying to ask if optical is better than usb like people seem to imply here and if it's a necessary thing, since I don't have that option with modi 2.

Feb 17, 2016 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 19

Err, ****ed up my post. I have magni 2 + modi 2. I was trying to ask if optical is better than usb like people seem to imply here and if it's a necessary thing, since I don't have that option with modi 2.

If both are working properly, same digital signal to the DAC.  No difference.   I got the MODI 2U for the extra inputs because I wanted the options for more inputs and an external power supply. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back