DAC/Amp Decision.
Dec 23, 2013 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

frap129

New Head-Fier
Hello, I've been wanting to get into high quality audio for a while, and I just got my first pair of audiophile grade cans, Audio Technica ATH-M50's, and I want to get good audio at an affordable price. I've found a few options and just need help making a decision on which to purchase. The first option I found was the HiFiMeDIY Sabre Es9023 http://www.amazon.com/HiFiMeDIY-Digital-Analog-Converter-Optical/dp/B00AOH5JTQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1387824878&sr=1-1&keywords=HiFiMeDIY+Sabre,  the second is the Soundblaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Soundblaster-Surround-System-SB1095/dp/B0044DEDCA/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1387824996&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=Creative+dac and the third option is to save up some more money and get a Fiio E10 ( Im just going to assume you're all familliar with it). I build my own computers, and I'm wondering if i even need one because my future  motherboard, ASUS MAXIMUS VI FORMULA, supposedly has very high audio quality to start out with. Which of these is best for the price, if I even need one? Are there any other simillarly priced options that are better?

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 6
That's a very nice mobo there!

However I would say it's not worth it to upgrade to a sound card for those headphones. Should you decide to move to better headphones though, then it might be a wise choice to also upgrade the DAC/AMP. I actually had the E10 (albeit for a very short time) and I would say it's a good stepping stone into the world of mid-fi components. But I would use the onboard for now, save up your money and if you decide to get new headphones, you can also get a better dac than the E10.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 6
  However I would say it's not worth it to upgrade to a sound card for those headphones. Should you decide to move to better headphones though, then it might be a wise choice to also upgrade the DAC/AMP

May I ask why these headphones would not benefit? Is it because they are monitor headphones? Sorry, i understand the basics of sound and digital audio, but not on a per headphone basis.

EDIT: I do plan on getting another pair of headphones, posibbly open-ear like Grado SR80i's, but I am on a budget so I dont have much to spend.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #4 of 6
  May I ask why these headphones would not benefit? Is it because they are monitor headphones? Sorry, i understand the basics of sound and digital audio, but not on a per headphone basis.

EDIT: I do plan on getting another pair of headphones, posibbly open-ear like Grado SR80i's, but I am on a budget so I dont have much to spend.

Keep in mind this is only my opinion, others have had huge differences between onboard and an external DAC.

But the thing is, your board comes with a pretty good DAC, as well as a discrete headphone amp, in fact, you have the same headphone amp I have in my external DAC/AMP. I highly doubt you will hear a difference.

Dec 23, 2013 at 7:56 PM Post #5 of 6
Keep in mind this is only my opinion, others have had huge differences between onboard and an external DAC.

But the thing is, your board comes with a pretty good DAC, as well as a discrete headphone amp, in fact, you have the same headphone amp I have in my external DAC/AMP. I highly doubt you will hear a difference.
Okay! Thank you very much for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back