DAC/Amp combo-ing?
Jan 31, 2010 at 1:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

Stein

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone. I'm still learning quite a bit here, so please excuse the dumb question, but how exactly would I go about connecting a DAC to my amp?

I'll be purchasing a uDAC probably tonight, but I don't quite understand how I would hook that up to my ef2, if that's even possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 18
DACs have RCA (analog) outs that would connect up with your amp.

If you're using music stored on your computer, then you'd use the USB/coaxial/toslink out from your computer's soundcard to the uDAC.

Jan 31, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #3 of 18
So from my computer it would go -> USB DAC -> RCA to my amp -> headphones?
Would the DAC come with the proper cables, or would I have to go buy some myself? It doesn't seem to say on the site.

Jan 31, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #4 of 18
The uDac comes with a USB cable, but no RCA cables. So, you'll need two RCA cables to connect L and R outputs from the uDac to your amp's inputs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So from my computer it would go -> USB DAC -> RCA to my amp -> headphones?
Would the DAC come with the proper cables, or would I have to go buy some myself? It doesn't seem to say on the site.

Jan 31, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #5 of 18
IF you're not completely happy with the USB connection, try a soundcard with a digital (toslink or coaxial) out. The switch sometimes makes a world of difference.

Jan 31, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 18
Something like this:
Transport -> USB cable -> uDac -> RCA cable -> EF2 -> Headphone

Feb 4, 2010 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 18
Thank you all for your help, but now I'm at a loss. I've got my uDAC connected to my ef2 via the RCA cables, but I'm hearing literally no difference. I'm not sure if my ears are just untrained or if I'm missing something here. And yes, I'm listening to FLACs, not any lossy/bad recordings. I've also got the ef2 set as my default device, because with the uDAC as default now, I can't exactly hear anything.

Thanks again in advance.

Feb 4, 2010 at 1:46 AM Post #8 of 18
" I've got my uDAC connected to my ef2 via the RCA cables, but I'm hearing literally no difference."

Are you using a good RCA interconnect ? I find it to be most important when connecting a DAC's analog output to an amp.

One Head-Fi'er recommended having the volume control on the computer's player (I was using itunes) on full volume and lowering the amp's volume control.

Feb 4, 2010 at 2:28 AM Post #9 of 18
Have you tried listening to just the uDAC on its headphone jack? Just curious.

You may not always hear an immediate difference. Try listening to very detailed music with lots of instrument separation.

Fleetwood Mac's Rumors has a bunch of good songs for this. The Door's Rider's on the Storm (at least the Vinyl box set) has great detail and decay when Morrison sings. Peter Gabriel's third album (melt cover) also has some great recordings that are very detailed.

When I throw on some Allman Brothers, it still sounds very good, but Southern Rock can sound good on an old pair of JBL Century 100's. Well, Live at the Filmore East new vinyl is awesome but you get my point, really well mastered music is what you are after.

Feb 4, 2010 at 3:36 AM Post #10 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
" I've got my uDAC connected to my ef2 via the RCA cables, but I'm hearing literally no difference."

Are you using a good RCA interconnect ? I find it to be most important when connecting a DAC's analog output to an amp.

One Head-Fi'er recommended having the volume control on the computer's player (I was using itunes) on full volume and lowering the amp's volume control.

I'd say my RCA cables are pretty decent, though nothing special. And yeah, I have my volumes maxed and control the actual volume with the analog dials.

And @ Tiger: Yeah, I've listened to the uDAC on just its headphone jack and it sounds alright, but not any better than if I just listen out of my amp without the DAC. I think I may just be missing the subtitles and not really knowing what I was missing out on before. When I have my DAC connected to my amp, should the volume dial on the DAC do absolutely nothing?

Feb 4, 2010 at 4:08 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stein /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say my RCA cables are pretty decent, though nothing special. And yeah, I have my volumes maxed and control the actual volume with the analog dials.

And @ Tiger: Yeah, I've listened to the uDAC on just its headphone jack and it sounds alright, but not any better than if I just listen out of my amp without the DAC. I think I may just be missing the subtitles and not really knowing what I was missing out on before. When I have my DAC connected to my amp, should the volume dial on the DAC do absolutely nothing?

Something has gone awry sir. When the uDac is connected to the amp you should be able to control the volume on the uDac and amp. I set my uDac at 80-100% and control volume via amp. What player are you using and are you sure it is outputting to the uDac (output device), not the amp?
Not in Windows but in the player.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:10 AM Post #12 of 18
This is your problem. PC is putting sound out to the EF2, not the uDac.

Disconnect the EF2 from USB, set your uDac as your primary output device in Windows.

Connect the RCA out from the uDac to the RCA in on the EF2.

Turn the volume knob to about 80% on the uDac, then adjust to your preference on the EF2.

Feb 4, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #13 of 18
Its sounding to me like you already have a DAC in the EF2. Is the uDAC an upgrade? Make sure you switch the inputs on the EF2 to be the line in.

Feb 4, 2010 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by eneloquent /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is your problem. PC is putting sound out to the EF2, not the uDac.

Disconnect the EF2 from USB, set your uDac as your primary output device in Windows.

Connect the RCA out from the uDac to the RCA in on the EF2.

Turn the volume knob to about 80% on the uDac, then adjust to your preference on the EF2.

Ah, this guy got it right. For whatever reason I completely disregarded that the USB in the EF2 was for the internal dac, and not as the power source. After that, I just had to switch it from usb to cd mode, and everything worked fine.
Now I think I can hear a difference, subtle, but everything seems to sound a little bit better. Hopefully it's not just a placebo.

Thanks for the help everyone, I really appreciate it.

Feb 4, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #15 of 18
Good to know you got your issue solved
smily_headphones1.gif

Upgrading from say, onboard sound to a DAC is a HUGE step and it's easy to spot the differences immediately. Trying to tell the differences when moving from a good DAC to a better one is much harder though. Listen to your stuff with the uDAC for about a week, then switch back to the EF2's built-in DAC. Usually, it's hard to see and changes or improvements when going up the chain, but you quickly spot the differences when you downgrade equipment, since you're already used to higher-quality sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back