DAC+Amp ... Audio GD?
Dec 18, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #16 of 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Lust Envy

The few who have have all pretty much stated that the E7/E9 competes and or just beats pricier SS amps.

I'm sure the E7/E9 combo is very good and Fiio has my full support considering their engagement with this community, but to heap Audio-GD into the group being "outperformed" by the Fiio combo shows a lack of knowledge of the Audio-GD gear. I have also not read a legitimately comparison of the current Audio-GD gear, ie Sparrow/Fun vs Fiio combo. If you could point one out to me I'd love to read it, as I'd "downgrade" to the Fiio combo if it's somewhat on par with the Fun, while the Fun still has some resell value. Considering I already have an E7, I could see myself pocketing some change in this scenario. However, I doubt this has any basis in reality.

Audio-GD, just like Fiio, pumps amazing value into their gear. If Fiio can compete with equipment 2x or 3x in price, you need to be aware that people who have also had experience with gear in the tiers above that, have also stated how the Audio-GD gear punches above weight. All that, even before you start to consider components and specifications (PSU, diamond/fet buffers, discrete, hdam rolling, ACSS etc).

So yeah, I think it's unfair to compare an Audio-GD component to a Fiio. If you're in the market for a DAC/amp the NFB12 should be on your radar.

Edit: added quote for context on new page

Dec 18, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #17 of 30
Stupid phone. I replied but it didn't go through.

Okay, I'm home now.

Alright, I didn't say the E7/E9 is better than ANYTHING. I was simply stating that those on the Fiio E9 threads, the recent London Mini Meet (check the 2nd post), and what have you, have compared it to say:

Blue Circle Amp (One of the OPs in the Fiio Reviewer threads said his was a $600 amp)
Corda Cantante 2 (a poster said the Beyer T1 sang with the E7/E9, while it was nothing special with the Cantante 2)
Darkvoice (dunno which exactly)
and few others...

and the E7/E9 has compared if not BESTED these amps. I'm going by what some people are comparing it to. I know next to nothing about these amps, hence why I asked people to compare the E7/E9 combo to other SS amps based on what they HEAR, and not by some numbers and tech specs.

Following what was said in the A/B amp comparison thread, this may surprise some of you, but the SS amps compared (including the powerhouse Beta 22 or whatever), have been surprisingly very close in sound quality, with very little to no real difference in quality. This is with obviously different tech specs and price ranges.

So again, I will ask: Has anyone here compared the E9 with ANY OTHER SS amps known for transparency? If so, how does it compare, and how well can the cans be driven when comparing? I'm only curious about solid state/transparent amps as that is what is closest to the Fiio E9.

Dec 18, 2010 at 11:43 AM Post #18 of 30
Sorry for going off-track. But I think it's better not to start another new thread.

I'm currently using MDAC from the Chinese brand Arce as my DAC/AMP, and Beyerdynamic DT 880 as my cans.
I've been keeping an eye on Audio-gd's products, notably the NFB-10, as well as the on sale Corda Symphony 2 from Meier Audio.
I'm wondering how are they compared and would it be too drastic a step if I'm going for anyone of them?

P.S. I mostly listen to large scale classical music.

Thanks & cheers.

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #20 of 30

Quote:
Following what was said in the A/B amp comparison thread, this may surprise some of you, but the SS amps compared (including the powerhouse Beta 22 or whatever), have been surprisingly very close in sound quality, with very little to no real difference in quality. This is with obviously different tech specs and price ranges.

I hope I'm not misunderstanding you but I just find that incredibly hard to believe. Are you stating that there are people that find the Fiio combo to be comparable to a Beta22?
eek.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 7:43 AM Post #22 of 30
Sigh, I wasn't saying the E7/E9 would be comparable to the Beta 22. I'm simply stating that a poster on here has done some pretty nifty A/B comparison with the Beta 22 and OTHER SS amps, from the inexpensive to the very expensive, and while the Beta 22 has bested pretty much all of them, the others have all put up a good fight, to the point where the SQ comes VERY close in comparison.

Stating that the E7/E9 combo  MIGHT be comparable to those other amps in SQ isn't much of a stretch going by what has been compared already.

Instead of completely disregarding the E9, how about some of you actually LISTEN to it and then decide?

I'm speaking mostly of the E9, as it can be used with any other DAC you may have.

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #23 of 30
I listened to the E7/E9 combo a couple of months ago and decided I was not going to buy it. I thought they sounded like a $200 amp/dac combo. Just what it is. And yes I was in a position to compare it to a lot of other amps, or dac/amps. Unfortunately I am still in college so I had to settle for a comprimise between my ears and my wallet.

You were making some very bold statements regarding the Fiio combo in this
and other threads. You said that this combo is about as transparent as a amp/combo can be and that more expensive amp/dacs are only desirable if you are looking for colorization.
 Are your conlusions based entirely on a comparison someone else did? If that is the case you should be more carefull with making those statements when trying to help someone.

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:31 PM Post #24 of 30

Quote:
Quote:
NFB-12 by Audio-gd is a damned good deal with the $200 promo price.

It's definitely a large step up over anything else you can get for ~$200, including the E7/E9 combo. The dac/amp sections can't really be beat for the price and can power 600-ohm cans just fine.

If you want to add an OTL tube amp later, you can use it as a dedicated DAC as well. It's one of those units that you could simply buy and stick with it.

Curious. Have you directly compared the E7/E9 with the Audio GD dac/amp? I ask because I'd like someone who has actually HEARD the E7/E9 combo compare it to other dac/amps.

The few who have have all pretty much stated that the E7/E9 competes and or just beats pricier SS amps.

I'd like some true comparisons.

Yeah as someone who has just, after days of reading trough countless threads on here :wink:, decided on the NFB-12 as my first (and affordable) dac/amp I'd also like to see some direct comparsion between it and other low price dac/amp combos.

As for myself, I probably won't be able to give any kind of review for the NFB-12 (which I'll use along with soon-to-be-bought HD600's) as I'm just starting out and my likely reaction of "OMG this sounds better than anything I've ever heard!" probably won't be of use to any of you.
biggrin.gif

Dec 19, 2010 at 2:42 PM Post #26 of 30

Yeah okay. State your comparisons with other SS/transparent amps. PLEASE. You were able to A/B the E9 with other neutral amps in the same room? Please post your thoughts on exactly how different it was compared to your magical amps. Because I'm gonna bet that neutral amps don't magically change a sound to something unbelievably different than the innate sound of the headphone. It highlights what is already there. Just check the damn A/B amp comparison thread where quite a few SS/transparent amps are compared (with an easy flick of a switch). The difference is VERY little to none to the OP, who owns some pretty impressive gear. But don't take my word. Just read the damn thread. I'm willing to put money that in real world testing, the differences aren't going to be drastic just as the OP found out.

Also, I never said it was as transparent as amps can be. I said that it's a pretty damn transparent amp that doesn't color the sound in one way or another. It's faithful to the source. I'm not the ONLY one saying this. Others way more knowledgeable than I have the same conclusion. I have not heard other amps, but going by transparency and how it 'colors' a headphone, I will fully defend my right in believing it's a transparent amp. Fiio's sponsor even marketed it as such. Before bastardizing my posts, you may wanna quote me on where I said it's the most transparent amp or whatever exaggerated accusations you are bringing up. My OPINION (which is exactly just that) is that if you're gonna go ss/neutral, you shouldn't have to spend much more than what the E9 costs, as I and quite a few others believe it does a fine job on that front. That I would personally only spend a lot more if I was going to go the tube amp route for colorization. People are more than welcome to buy whatever the hell they please. I wasn't aware that I couldn't voice an opinion on here.

Again, I'm mainly speaking of the E9 as an amp. The DAC is another thing entirely. I don't know much about DACs to form a conclusion on how it stacks up to others. I am simply stating what has been SAID on here. I'm not comparing the E9 to the Beta 22 or whatever. Hence why I'd like a formal comparison between the E9 and whatever neutral/SS amps are out there. Since amps considerably cheaper than the Beta 22 have been compared with good results, I'd like to see how the E9 fares as well, instead of just writing it off based on price tag and the Fiio name, like some of you are possibly doing. It's cheap and it's a Fiio! It must not be good. Spare me.
Quote:
I listened to the E7/E9 combo a couple of months ago and decided I was not going to buy it. I thought they sounded like a $200 amp/dac combo. Just what it is. And yes I was in a position to compare it to a lot of other amps, or dac/amps. Unfortunately I am still in college so I had to settle for a comprimise between my ears and my wallet.

You were making some very bold statements regarding the Fiio combo in this
and other threads. You said that this combo is about as transparent as a amp/combo can be and that more expensive amp/dacs are only desirable if you are looking for colorization.
 Are your conlusions based entirely on a comparison someone else did? If that is the case you should be more carefull with making those statements when trying to help someone.

Dec 19, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #27 of 30
I really don't understand all the drama that results when the E7/E9 is compared to other amps or dacs, nobody has said the fiio is crap.  In fact most people respect Fiio for bringing in a nice entry level setup on the market, myself included.  However if he has heard the E7, and E9 and chose to spend his money elsewhere why is that an issue?  Atleast he has had the opportunity to use his own ears and make the choice on whats best for him and not by going off what someone else says..

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:24 PM Post #28 of 30
There is no issue with his spending money on something else. This 'debate' stemmed from someone just writing off the E9 without even having heard it. I posted to defend the E9 as a product worth trying out, and how people have compared it to others worth a lot more in price. That's when all the tech spec stuff started happening and people spurting out how a cheap $130 amp can't possibly be any close in sq to a more expensive amp, so I was wanting to see them actually compare it to a real amp, in the same conditions, like real A/B testing. But you know the typical mindset of an average day consumer. If it's cheap, it can't be THAT good.

I guess people here forget about the KSC75 and Porta Pros. But whatever.

Dec 22, 2010 at 7:05 AM Post #29 of 30
OK... So I think I am going for the NFB11... Though more expensive, it is supposed also more neutral...

I would be interested in the Fiio if I wanted to put my iPod on it, but leaving the dock empty doesn't make it look good... 

Furthermore the Audio GD seem to have a better PSU... 
dt880smile.png

Dec 22, 2010 at 8:36 AM Post #30 of 30
Ah, there's no ipod dock for the E9 (yet) dude.

Anyway, the first impressions of the NFB11 are popping up and expectations seem to have been met at this stage. I'd be interested to hear how it's resolving nature matches with the HD650. I'm kind of in the same boat but am looking at a few tiers up with a balanced HD650 system.

Btw, that A/B amp comparison thread is an interesting read (the Fun looks to have held its own against much "higher end" gear
smily_headphones1.gif
). It supports my suspicion that although an amp is important for certain cans (ie amps that can provide a steady current), if power requirements are met the differences are subtle. It goes towards my belief that the quality of the DAC has a bigger bearing, which makes recommending Audio-GD gear more appropriate, as there's usually general consensus their DACs are pretty damn good (on top of good power supplies).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back