DAC Advice Needed
Nov 28, 2011 at 6:10 PM Post #17 of 73

Quote:

$800 for a Rega DAC with 2 x Wolfson WM8742 and then a $200 m2tech hiface on top of that seems a bit excessive to me. :)

The Hiface is also lousy. You need to spend at least $500 for a quality USB converter - The JK MK3 Hiface, or the Audiophilleo. At that point, you might as well just buy the big Calyx DAC.

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #18 of 73
Gwarmi and kiteki you are both right.

I am trying to restrain my budget and looking at how much Rega would cost me I might even cross it out of my list.

If I decide to grt it it will be easy as, I already mentioned it, I have coax on my pc.

List:

Emotiva XDA1
Musical Fidelity M1 A
Rega DAC
DACMagic Plus
Devil Sound DAC Cable
Firestone iLove TW
JKDAC
AK2496
Beresford Caiman

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #19 of 73
Quote:

Is it really that good or just another fotm?

Not FOTM lol I'm the only one talking about it.

Yes I personally think it's very good and have lost complete interest in the Audio Technica HA70USB after hearing it...

Quote:
The Hiface is also lousy. You need to spend at least $500 for a quality USB converter

Or he can spend $15 on a quality COAX cable and not use USB at all...

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:29 PM Post #20 of 73

Quote:

$800 for a Rega DAC with 2 x Wolfson WM8742 and then a $200 m2tech hiface on top of that seems a bit excessive to me. :)

Then again I've been poisoned to think only AKM and ESS dac chips are worth high prices.

Yeh I agree if you're a 'DAC' chipset spec aficionado then the Rega DAC can pass you by...

It's secret?

The power supply and the analog output stage ~ it's all quality ~ big time. It's also a non-over sampler, Rega don't believe
in oversampling.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #21 of 73

Quote:
Or he can spend $15 on a quality COAX cable and not use USB at all...

Very true. I only mentioned asynch DACs to start with because I thought USB was the only option, and I just don't think adaptive mode is nearly as good as a high quality asynchronous implementation. If plain S/Pdif is an option, you can use pretty much anything. I do have a fondness for vintage PCM-63 and Ultra Analog based 20-bit DACs, many of which are now available in the $500-1000 range. The Eastern Electric Minimax and the new Plus version are also worth a look.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:22 PM Post #22 of 73

DaveBSC do you think I should get this converter to open up my options to more DAC's like the old ones you just mentioned? - http://www.teradak.com/en/product_view.asp?ID=203

I use a laptop so I don't think a soundcard with COAX is a possibility.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #23 of 73
EE MiniMax is very interesting. Looking at the prices of around 700Euros inE U I wouldnhave to say it is a bit too expensive for me.

Edit: Beresford 7520 looks interesting too.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:42 PM Post #24 of 73

Quote:

DaveBSC do you think I should get this converter to open up my options to more DAC's like the old ones you just mentioned? - http://www.teradak.com/en/product_view.asp?ID=203

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/217-teradak-teralink-x2-usb-audio-converter

For
  1. Bargain basement price for I2S
  2. Linear PSU brings an additional performance lift
  3. Compatible with Squeezebox Touch "USB output hack"
  4. Noticeable improvement to hi-res source material

Against

1. Very slight upper-midrange glare from Redbook recordings

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:55 PM Post #25 of 73

Quote:

USB converters are great, but I probably wouldn't get that specific one. Unless you only listen with your laptop on battery power, I would look into getting a powered USB hub (the Lab Brick is the best I've seen, but it doesn't come cheap), and then connect something like the JK MK3 Hiface, or the Audiophilleo. You could also use something like the AQVOX USB supply in place of the hub. The point is to get the USB power away from the laptop.

Nov 28, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #26 of 73
Szadzik, why not go to a local dealer and demo the DACMagic plus in your system, or enquire if they'll allow to take one home with a deposit, refundable if unsuited of cause.

This would take a lot of the guess work out of your purchase before handing over your hard earned for a DAC that may or may not complement your system.

Nov 28, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #27 of 73

Quote:
USB converters are great, but I probably wouldn't get that specific one. Unless you only listen with your laptop on battery power, I would look into getting a powered USB hub (the Lab Brick is the best I've seen, but it doesn't come cheap), and then connect something like the JK MK3 Hiface, or the Audiophilleo. You could also use something like the AQVOX USB supply in place of the hub. The point is to get the USB power away from the laptop.

Thanks Dave!

I'll be looking into the Vaunix hub now for my Audiophilleo 2 
smile.gif

Nov 29, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #29 of 73

Quote:
Szadzik, why not go to a local dealer and demo the DACMagic plus in your system, or enquire if they'll allow to take one home with a deposit, refundable if unsuited of cause.

This would take a lot of the guess work out of your purchase before handing over your hard earned for a DAC that may or may not complement your system.

Not an option unfortunately. I live in a small town when I am home, but most of the year I spend away from home, in a place with no shops at all :frowning2:

EDIT:

Emotiva XDA1
DACMagic Plus
Devil Sound DAC HD
AK2496

Users who are viewing this thread

Back