DAC Advice Needed
Dec 14, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #62 of 73
So finally I have come to my senses and decided what kind of money I can spend and what I need.

I have looked through the forums and also decided I can spend $1200 on the DAC.

My top pick in order of preference.

Onkyo DAC-1000 ($1000)
Yulong D18 ($699)
Stello DA100 ($1149)
Rega DAC ($950)

The only downside of the Onkyo as my top pick is a voltage stepdown transformer I would have to get as I would buy this item from Japan.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Dec 14, 2011 at 4:00 AM Post #63 of 73
Onkyo DAC-1000: Not much information about it. Reviews are scarce. Plus the fact that I would have to import it from Japan is a bit discouraging as the price will go even higher because of customs. Might rethink this choice.

Yulong D18: reviews mentioning it to be slightly warm and musical, which seems to lose some details, which is not a good thing. I love details and do not want much more warmth in my system. 

Stello DA100: Removed from my list.

Rega DAC: Reviews are very positive and in this thread this DAC was also recommended. The price and availability are good. There is one used on eBay for 445GBP delivered and I am considering buying it.

M-DAC
Rega DAC
Onkyo DAC-1000
Yulong D18

Still reading reviews and stuff to see what people say about these.

Dec 17, 2011 at 7:03 AM Post #66 of 73
If only prices in Europe were not so f'd up I would go for something realy fancy - Calyx DAC or something like that. But in the UK I will have to pay the same amount in GBP as someone else in US in USD. Crap.

I am almost decided what I want. 

Onkyo, Yulong or Anedio. 

Still some reading to do.

Dec 17, 2011 at 8:42 AM Post #68 of 73

Quote:

A bit skeptical of Yulong myself.

Onkyo sounds good, HP-A8 if you're interested in SACD/DSD.

Onkyo is my no1 pick at the moment. Checking with eBay seller if they have it in Black to match my WA2.

Would maybe think about D1, but it has been discontinued. Maybe if I wait long enough they will release a new improved version - if not too expensive.

Dec 30, 2011 at 5:35 AM Post #69 of 73

Quote:

A bit skeptical of Yulong myself.

Why?

I ask because I'm looking to upgrade my DAC and am interested specifically in non-oversampling units.  I'll be using S/PDIF coax, so USB is a non-issue.

My current short list (and their shortfalls, as I see them) is:

Rega DAC (no balanced outs, crappy power cord and cloverleaf plug)
Yulong D-18 (op-amps in the output stage, which is either a terrible thing or not, depending on who you ask)
Metrum Octave (no output stage at all—chip based output)

I'm using the aforementioned Emotiva XDA-1 and will keep it for movie/TV duty, but for music I'm looking to cut an upper midrange/lower treble glare that can get fatiguing after extended listening. Not a detail freak, but don't want to lose much either.  My budget is at the Yulong price-point—$700-$750 USD, so the other two would be used. 

Any other suggestions or candidates?

Thanks for any help or personal experience you all can offer.

Jan 5, 2012 at 2:21 AM Post #70 of 73

Quote:
Why?

I ask because I'm looking to upgrade my DAC and am interested specifically in non-oversampling units.  I'll be using S/PDIF coax, so USB is a non-issue.

My current short list (and their shortfalls, as I see them) is:

Rega DAC (no balanced outs, crappy power cord and cloverleaf plug)
Yulong D-18 (op-amps in the output stage, which is either a terrible thing or not, depending on who you ask)
Metrum Octave (no output stage at all—chip based output)

I'm using the aforementioned Emotiva XDA-1 and will keep it for movie/TV duty, but for music I'm looking to cut an upper midrange/lower treble glare that can get fatiguing after extended listening. Not a detail freak, but don't want to lose much either.  My budget is at the Yulong price-point—$700-$750 USD, so the other two would be used. 

Any other suggestions or candidates?

Thanks for any help or personal experience you all can offer.

Hi,

I am looking at the Octave too. Octave and Atoll DAC100 are my favourites, but because of the great PSU I might choose the Octave. I just need to find it for a good price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back