DAC Advice Needed
Dec 2, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #46 of 73

Quote:

Musiland 01 is a USB to optical/coax converter.

The Texas Asahi AK4396 / NE5532 DIY DAC is a DIY DAC, they usually have inherently low popularity and zero marketing.

I think it sounds really good so I'm raving a bit that's all, you guys don't have to believe me.

I'm actually interested in the Musiland 01 but have been reading about driver issues.

If my computer only has USB capabilities and my amp only takes RCA input, how would I link the Musiland 01 into my system?  Thanks.

To be clear, I never said that I don't believe you.  I was just saying that disregarding the MS II/II+for its lack of connectivity options/features may be missing the overall focus which is sound.

Dec 2, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #47 of 73

You're correct saintly, the Nr#1 focus is sound quality.

Even with DAP's, I don't care about their battery life or UI much, only the sound.

I've read about driver issues too, but there's been a lot of updates in the last year or two so I think it should be pretty much sorted now, as long as you use Windows.

The Musiland 01 US has RCA out, and the Musiland 01 USD has optical/coax out, I was referring to the 01 USD, since the Asahi Texas lacks USB it requires a USB to COAX connection and the Musiland 01 USD supports 24/192, ASIO and upsampling which I can't find in any other device under $5000 or so lol.

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:10 PM Post #48 of 73

Quote:

The Musiland 01 US has RCA out, and the Musiland 01 USD has optical/coax out, I was referring to the 01 USD, since the Asahi Texas lacks USB it requires a USB to COAX connection and the Musiland 01 USD supports 24/192, ASIO and upsampling which I can't find in any other device under $5000 or so lol.

That is quite impressive, especially given the price.  How would you rate the sound of the Musiland 01 USD as a standalone DAC without the Asahi Texas?

Have you tried the MS II/II+ and if so, how would you compare them?

Dec 2, 2011 at 4:54 PM Post #49 of 73

The Musiland 01 USD can not function as a DAC, only a converter.

The Musiland 01 US DAC section is most likely quite simple, that is only my guess though, haven't read up on it much.

I haven't heard the MS II/II+ so I can't say, I think the DIY passion and zero marketing behind the Asahi Texas AK4396 is very good as far as price/sound is concerned.

Dec 2, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #50 of 73
I use the 01 USD, so that I can use coaxial intead of usb and think it works great. Havent heard a single glitch or digital jump since I got it. Plus I've noticed a smoother and more detailed sound with it set to upsampling 24/96, playing 16/44 files.

I also have another one called the HA INFO U2, this can be found on Ebay and is cheaper still. Supports up to 24/96, and has coaxial/optical outputs, works great too.  

It's an added piece in the chain (but sounds better than not having it in) and an essential one if you use your computer as a hifi and want to use coaxial, bnc.    

Dec 2, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #51 of 73
Quote:
I use the 01 USD, so that I can use coaxial intead of usb and think it works great. Havent heard a single glitch or digital jump since I got it. Plus I've noticed a smoother and more detailed sound with it set to upsampling 24/96, playing 16/44 files.

I also have another one called the HA INFO U2, this can be found on Ebay and is cheaper still. Supports up to 24/96, and has coaxial/optical outputs, works great too.  

It's an added piece in the chain (but sounds better than not having it in) and an essential one if you use your computer as a hifi and want to use coaxial, bnc.    

For me it's a toss up between the 01 USD and the Teralink X2 right now.

Are you sure it upsamples to 24/96 and not 16/96? Are there any other converters you know of that do this?

I can upsample music with SoX in foobar but I want to upsample stuff like last.fm, games, movies, youtube etc.!!

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #52 of 73

Quote:
For me it's a toss up between the 01 USD and the Teralink X2 right now.

Are you sure it upsamples to 24/96 and not 16/96? Are there any other converters you know of that do this?

I can upsample music with SoX in foobar but I want to upsample stuff like last.fm, games, movies, youtube etc.!!

Should I have said oversample...? I get confused with them both haha

All I know is that I've got my playback device set to 24/96 and I wasn't able to do that before using it and it sounds better. It can be set to 24/192 if your dac is capable, though I really don't hear any difference.

basically all it is doing is converting the USB signal to spdif. If the original source is 24 bit then it will stay that way, if it is 16 bit then it can (arguably) help retain the original data.

Remember though, you can never add anything that isn't there to begin with. 

I remember looking at the teralink, and I think its basically the same thing. I only bought the Musiland because they have a selling place here in the uk so it was for convenience. I bough the HA INFO from Hong Kong.  

Dec 2, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #53 of 73
Just to add...

A company such as musical fidelity wouldn't have made the V link (which is basically the same thing as the 01 USD etc) if it wasn't a very useful component for computer hifi. Most usb dacs released in the last 5 years or so have only limited usb function and will sound better via coaxial/optical. Only now are companies releasing usb dacs with 24 bit capabilites such as the Vdac mkII.

So lets say you spend $50 on a USB to SPDIF converter, it gives you the freedom to use any dac to its optimal performance. If you own say the Dacmagic or original Vdac then you now know you are getting the best performance out of it and you don't need to upgrade to the new version that now supports usb 24/192. No need!

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #54 of 73

Quote:
Just to add...

A company such as musical fidelity wouldn't have made the V link (which is basically the same thing as the 01 USD etc) if it wasn't a very useful component for computer hifi. Most usb dacs released in the last 5 years or so have only limited usb function and will sound better via coaxial/optical. Only now are companies releasing usb dacs with 24 bit capabilites such as the Vdac mkII.

So lets say you spend $50 on a USB to SPDIF converter, it gives you the freedom to use any dac to its optimal performance. If you own say the Dacmagic or original Vdac then you now know you are getting the best performance out of it and you don't need to upgrade to the new version that now supports usb 24/192. No need!

Have you tried any asynchronous USB DACs?

Dec 2, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #55 of 73

Quote:
Have you tried any asynchronous USB DACs?

No, but would like to, have you? if so, how do they compare? . My ramble is basically aimed at peeps who don't have asynchronous. Just seems a more viable option especailly if you can pick up a second hand high end dac for e.g.

I'm sure we are going to see a flood of more asynchronous dacs coming out, but their aren't that many at the mo. So for me, it makes more sense to spend more money on a great standard dac and a little on a spdif converter that has the same components that a new asynchronous dac will have.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:08 PM Post #56 of 73

Quote:
No, but would like to, have you? if so, how do they compare? . My ramble is basically aimed at peeps who don't have asynchronous. Just seems a more viable option especailly if you can pick up a second hand high end dac for e.g.

I'm sure we are going to see a flood of more asynchronous dacs coming out, but their aren't that many at the mo. So for me, it makes more sense to spend more money on a great standard dac and a little on a spdif converter that has the same components that a new asynchronous dac will have.

As a disclaimer, I should say that the only two DACs I've heard are the Fiio E7 and HRT Music Streamer II.  Obviously, a $90 E7 isn't expected to perform too admirably so take my comparison with a grain of salt.

The MS II is asynchronous with 24/96 capability.  Upon switching over from the E7, the most noticeable differences were the marked increase in bass depth and impact as well as the opening up of the soundstage.  Clarity also seemed to be improved by an appreciable margin although that could be related to the expansion of the soundstage.

I've never looked into the fancier DACs with optical or s/pdif inputs because my laptop can only support USB.

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #57 of 73

Thanks for your info LugBug1.

Upsampling is the correct term, oversampling is different, for that you can research DAC's with the TDA1543, which is also used in the Hifiman HM-X0X DAP's.

My question was does the Musiland control panel indicate 24 bit upsampling? I thought it only indicated 96kHz and 192kHz.

I'm buying the Musiland Monitor 01 USD on ebay now, I found a seller that offers express shipping from China.

I made a complete summary of the Texas Asahi AK4396 finished DIY DAC in this post over here for those interested ---> http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-latest-memoir-asahi-texas-finished-diy-dac/975#post_7937992

Dec 2, 2011 at 9:37 PM Post #58 of 73

Quote:

Thanks for your info LugBug1.

Upsampling is the correct term, oversampling is different, for that you can research DAC's with the TDA1543, which is also used in the Hifiman HM-X0X DAP's.

My question was does the Musiland control panel indicate 24 bit upsampling? I thought it only indicated 96kHz and 192kHz.

I'm buying the Musiland Monitor 01 USD on ebay now, I found a seller that offers express shipping from China.

I made a complete summary of the Texas Asahi AK4396 finished DIY DAC in this post over here for those interested ---> http://www.head-fi.org/t/571081/the-diary-entries-of-a-little-girl-latest-memoir-asahi-texas-finished-diy-dac/975#post_7937992

No probs, so yes it certainly does do 24bit upsampling and a very good job it does too. Please post your thoughts when you receive it.

As to the TDA1543, i've got one of those Lite Dac-Ah's with the 8x chips. So I suppose thats the none "oversampling" (still confused ha), its nice and fast sounding with the great power supply, but doesn't quite compare to my other budget 24 bit dacs in refinement.

Saintly:

I've never looked into the fancier DACs with optical or s/pdif inputs because my laptop can only support USB.  

Thats where the 01 usd comes in, it enables you to use any dac via your usb output, as it converts your usb signal to spdif so that Coaxial/optical can accept it.  

Cheers guys

Dec 4, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #60 of 73
Totally lost here. Not sure what to think. 

I look at JKenny's DAC for 500E with only USB input and RCA output and an M1DAC-A for almost the same price or DACMagic + both with loads of options and all with Async. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back