D5000 V Pro 900 V q40
Feb 5, 2013 at 2:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

xx TrypT xx

New Head-Fier
I sent back my beyerdynamic 990/600 as my 600 ohm sound card couldn't power them very well. They were also slightly too sibilant for me, not by a lot though. Anyway, since I had to send them back I am wondering what would be the better choice or should I just grab the lower ohm version? I am definitely a bass head that appreciates mids and doesn't enjoy sibilance. I listen to bass heavy music like rap and metal at 192/ 320kbs

From what I gathered good choices would be
Denon D5000
Ultrasone Pro 900
M- Audio Q40

and possibly:
HiFiman he-400
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Beyerdynamic T90
Sennheiser 600/ 650

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as a trip to the nearest listening store is about $200 in hotel/ fuel which i would rather spend on equiptment, but I definitely understand everyone hears differently and prefers certain sound profiles so the trip may be worth it.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I sent back my beyerdynamic 990/600 as my 600 ohm sound card couldn't power them very well. They were also slightly too sibilant for me, not by a lot though. Anyway, since I had to send them back I am wondering what would be the better choice or should I just grab the lower ohm version? I am definitely a bass head that appreciates mids and doesn't enjoy sibilance. I listen to bass heavy music like rap and metal at 192/ 320kbs

From what I gathered good choices would be
Denon D5000
Ultrasone Pro 900
M- Audio Q40

and possibly:
HiFiman he-400
Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro
Beyerdynamic T90
Sennheiser 600/ 650

Any insight would be greatly appreciated as a trip to the nearest listening store is about $200 in hotel/ fuel which i would rather spend on equiptment, but I definitely understand everyone hears differently and prefers certain sound profiles so the trip may be worth it.

Heya,

You don't like bright headphones it seems. That makes a few headphones a quick knock out. Drop the PRO900 and DT990. They are bright. The PRO900 is even more bright than the DT990.

Some bassy headphones that are easier on treble than you experienced:

Denon D600
Denon D2000/5000 (discontinued; but awesome if you can get them)
M-Audio Q40 (darkish headphone, treble is very relaxed, bass is big)
Beyer Custom One Pro (dark headphone, treble is very laid back, mids are a tad distant, bass is big)
Ultrasone HFI 580
Sony XB700
AKG K167 & K267

Another thing to explore, is to simply get a good headphone and equalize. Equalization will let you take any amount of treble spike out of a headphone to make it more tolerable. You can of course also do this to increase bass too, to get it where you want it.

I would lean towards the M-Audio Q40 with some DT770 pads (velour) or simply stuff the stock pads (underneath them) with some cotton or tissue to deepen the cups, and use a Fiio E11 or Digizoid ZO portable amplifier for both power, volume control and increased bass ability.

If your budget is big, you could go PRO900, but you really would want to equalize the treble down.

And if you want to really get something custom, get a Mr Speaker Mad Dog with some SR007 stax pads and then equalize it to have copious amounts of bass and use a Fiio E12 or any solid state desktop amp.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back