D3 Python and P2 Heron Arrive!
Oct 14, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #181 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by acolyte289 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First post!

Just got my D3 today (ordered on Friday)! Very fast shipping! (love DHL) I am very pleased with it so far. Major improvement in sound from my SE420s (using with my Ipod).

Well you picked a very good amp/dac. It should provide good sound for a long time.

Oct 14, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #182 of 240
I've had my D3 since last Thurs. As I get more used to it's sonic sig. I continuing to love this amp.

Rather than wearing off, it's SQ becomes more impressive with time.

I've eard this amp now with Triple-Fi's, SE530, Yuin PK 1 and 2, ETY4S, And some 12 year old shure IEMs I still like.

This amp/dac makes all these phones shine.

I am listening to the PK2s right now and hearing an impressive level of detail and naturalness.

I feel I can enthusiastically recommend the D3 to anyone.

I also like having a gain switch easily accessible on the front of the amp.

Very convenient when switching from the SE530 to the ETY4S.

Vocals are very lifelike and the soundstage is spacious.

Oct 15, 2008 at 4:42 AM Post #184 of 240
To those talking about modded X-fi... Does anyone care to comment about the D3 DAC vs modded X-fi DAC? Maybe not a fair comparison since one is for desktop the other portable, but I'd still be interested.

Also something that puts me off is the choice of USB over optical... USB doesn't seem the best for a portable, as, are there even any media players that support USB out for audio?
And isn't USB supposed to limit bit-rate?

And mrarroyo or someone else with E+, anything to comment about this against the MiniBox E+ at this stage? I feel tempted to try the D3 but already having MiniBox E+ not sure if it would be overkill...

Oct 15, 2008 at 1:20 PM Post #185 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by Damian /img/forum/go_quote.gif

......................................snip........ ......................
Also something that puts me off is the choice of USB over optical... USB doesn't seem the best for a portable, as, are there even any media players that support USB out for audio?
And isn't USB supposed to limit bit-rate?

....................................snip.......... ............................

There are very few portable amps with optical inputs, and fewer still players with optical outputs. About the only one I can think of offhand is the iRiver H1xx series and a couple of older portable CD players.

The D3 DAC is very good, and I can hear little, if any, differences between it and the optical input/outputs of my other players and amps.

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:31 AM Post #186 of 240
Thanks for the impressions Ron and jam! You guys are truly invaluable (also to ibasso marketing no doubt
tongue.gif
)

I just have a quick question about the D3. I'm another looking to a first DAC/amp combo. When using it as a DAC/amp, is the amp also powered by the USB or will batteries need to be installed?

Oct 16, 2008 at 6:35 AM Post #187 of 240
For the amp to work, batteries are required. One of the few cons of the D3 for me has been the fact that it can't just be plugged in at home, forgetting about batteries.

As far as the sound goes, it is very hard to judge what I'm hearing since I got new headphones at the same time I got the D3. I will say that my DT150 and D3 definitely play nice together.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #189 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by yaluen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
k, but no doubt it's also a contributing factor to a better implementation. I'll keep this fact in mind as I'm deciding.

You might want to factor in audionervosa syndrome in your decision.

As soon as you buy the D2 you will be plagued with doubts, thinking always of the headfiers who said the D3 is better than the D2.

You will wake at 3AM gasping for for breath thinking: OMG I've made a horrible mistake!!!!

You will eventually buy the D3 anyway, but , since you waited so long the D4 will come out a week after your purchase and the cycle will begin anew
normal_smile .gif

Welcome to the world of the audiophile.

Oct 16, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #190 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjtx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You might want to factor in audionervosa syndrome in your decision.

As soon as you buy the D2 you will be plagued with doubts, thinking always of the headfiers who said the D3 is better than the D2.

You will wake at 3AM gasping for for breath thinking: OMG I've made a horrible mistake!!!!

You will eventually buy the D3 anyway, but , since you waited so long the D4 will come out a week after your purchase and the cycle will begin anew
normal_smile .gif

Welcome to the world of the audiophile.

Well said, well said!

Then soon you venture into full size cans, full sized amps, speakers, and platinum gold plated cables!!

Oct 16, 2008 at 3:53 PM Post #191 of 240
Yep.
I pretty much maxed out my home stereo some years ago and then got into head-fi.
At least with headphone systems it is cheaper to play around.
Of course, that makes it easier to justify more purchases so you'll end up in bankruptcy court anyway

Oct 17, 2008 at 6:34 AM Post #194 of 240
This may be a dumb question, but can anyone tell me if it would be worth it to get the D3 for my new DT880/250ohm cans over the D2? I'll get the D3 if there is a noticeable difference in sound quality, but if there's none then I'd definitely prefer the D2 as it can be powered solely by the USB cord.

Oct 17, 2008 at 10:59 AM Post #195 of 240
I've used the D2 Boa (fixed opamps) and hated it. Compared to the D2, I would still buy the D3 if it was a hundred dollars more. I think it's sound is well worth it. As many have already said, the price is a bargan for the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back