D3 Python and P2 Heron Arrive!
Oct 18, 2008 at 2:20 AM Post #211 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by energie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yes that's what i wanted ho ear!
I just want to skip the noob integrated audio card!
You are the only one who ubderstood me lol
Thanks

Yup, you can do that: PC USB > D3 USB/DAC, line out > active speakers.

Oct 18, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #212 of 240
if the active speakers have there own volume control you can bypass the D3 amp, IF, you want to use the volume controls on the speakers (a pita IMO)

if the active speakers have no volume control use the D3 amp as preamp

PC/USB>D3/DAC(via the line in which acts as the DAC line out when pc is plugged into dac)>speakers+ control volume from the speakers

PC/USB>D3?DAC/AMP>speakers control volume via amp

Oct 19, 2008 at 5:34 PM Post #214 of 240
I'm looking at getting either the hd650s or the k701s to pair with the D3. Many of you have said that the D3 drives the hd650 quite well, and I was wondering if anyone can chime in to how well it drives the k701s? Also I listen to a lot of jazz and classical music and wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations on the hd650 vs the k701s for this type of listening? Thanks!

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #215 of 240
Well i've been loving Miles and Mingus using Foobar->USB->D3->HD 650's and its excellent, really really good. Infact you could easily use this as a home amp and be very happy with the combo. There is something about the DAC/amp that just 'works'!

And to rock i just throw in my dt770's !

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #216 of 240
What is the impedance and sensitivity of the K701?

I'm finding the D3 has a little more power than the Predator with 300-600 ohm cans, but below that they seem to have about the same. When it comes to driving my 600 ohm AKG K240M the Vivid V1 has even more power than the D3, and the Pico has even more power than that.

Oct 19, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #217 of 240
Thanks for the input bigtony! Yea, I plan on using it primarily as my first home setup with my computer, and then occasionally as a portable rig (moreso when I get the money to get some good IEMs)

HeadphoneAddict: the specs are...Impedance: 62ohms
Sensitivity: 105dB

Oct 19, 2008 at 9:05 PM Post #218 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by gssmith32 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the input bigtony! Yea, I plan on using it primarily as my first home setup with my computer, and then occasionally as a portable rig (moreso when I get the money to get some good IEMs)

HeadphoneAddict: the specs are...Impedance: 62ohms
Sensitivity: 105dB

Weird, then why are they reported to be so hard to drive? That's 105 db per how many mw or volts?

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:36 PM Post #220 of 240
Hello, is there any way to run D3 with power adapter? I'd like to use it mostly on desktop but don't want to continuously change the batteries :/

Oct 19, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #221 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by inF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello, is there any way to run D3 with power adapter? I'd like to use it mostly on desktop but don't want to continuously change the batteries :/

Nope, the batteries are your only option if your listening to the amp. However, the alkaline batteries should give you around 100 hrs.

Oct 19, 2008 at 11:41 PM Post #222 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by scott_d_m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nope, the batteries are your only option if your listening to the amp. However, the alkaline batteries should give you around 100 hrs.

I am at 103 hours right now and the D3 is still running strong during burn-in on the same 5x Energizer AAA that I started with.

Oct 20, 2008 at 12:49 AM Post #224 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfkt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Burn in? The opamps and/or caps still change?

I'm not hearing a lot of change in the D3 vs out of the box when it sounded great already, but I burn-in all amps for 200-400 hours before reviewing them.

iBasso recommended 300 hours and I will do at least that much. I might do more because my D2 Boa took 600 hours before the soundstage had fully developed and opened up.

Oct 20, 2008 at 7:55 AM Post #225 of 240
Quote:

Originally Posted by skamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And if you buy the D3 you'll always wonder if you should have bought a Pico. And if you buy a Pico you'll always wonder what the $1,000+ Benchmark DAC sounds like. And…

Funny you should mention those - I fixed that problem
wink.gif

I had a D2 Boa, then bought a Pico, borrowed a DAC1 and did a very careful (i.e. volume-matched and short audio segment) comparison. With my ears, my cans (MD5000) and my music the Pico was slightly better, and the DAC1 very slightly better still. All of them were plenty good enough for lots of musical enjoyment, and it's not clear the large price differences are worth it unless you're really annoyed by something about the cheaper amps - or are seeking different functionality (rather than audio performance).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back