d2000 sibilance...painful...
Feb 6, 2009 at 8:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 63

fatman711

Member of the Trade: JMoney Audio
So I got a pair of these and the sibilance is pretty harsh and painful. I am pairing it with a minimax hybrid amp and the sibilance is even worse than Grados!

Is that a known problem with the denons?

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #2 of 63
Try some breaking-in. My D1001s were extremely harsh on cymbals at first, and this is coming from someone used to Grado SR80s. Now they're much better, but I gave them at least 2 and a half hours use each day on my commute for the last couple months.

Feb 6, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #3 of 63
I bought them used and apparently they had about 100 hours burn in and 20 hours head time.

So, they should be broken in by now.

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 63
If the D2000s are anything like my D1001- and I gather the sound signatures are pretty similar- I can't relate to your description at all. If I have any quibble with the D1001 it's that the highs are occasionally just a bit too polite to reveal the maximum of musical detail. Of course, I came to them from years of listening to Grados, so that might explain my reaction!

BY the way I found them MORE treble-shy before break-in (or before I got used to them, whichever it really is.)

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM Post #5 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought them used and apparently they had about 100 hours burn in and 20 hours head time.

So, they should be broken in by now.

When I had the D2000, it took about 250-300 hours for them to settle down. That said, I've never had problems with thin/harsh/painfully sibilant highs, except when I drove them with the Darkvoice 337, an amp that did NOT match well with the Denons.

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatman711 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I got a pair of these and the sibilance is pretty harsh and painful. I am pairing it with a minimax hybrid amp and the sibilance is even worse than Grados!

Is that a known problem with the denons?

I had the same problem and I heard Tiemen was of similar opinion.
They were very much burned-in, so newness was not the cause.

Feb 6, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the same problem and I heard Tiemen was of similar opinion.
They were very much burned-in, so newness was not the cause.

What about system matching. As I'd mentioned earlier, the D2000 (and D5000) sound less than adequate when driven, for example, by the Darkvoice 337. With the Bada PH-12 they're a whole different and immensely more enjoyable story, though! : )

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #8 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by pataburd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about system matching. As I'd mentioned earlier, the D2000 (and D5000) sound less than adequate when driven, for example, by the Darkvoice 337. With the Bada PH-12 they're a whole different and immensely more enjoyable story, though! : )

I've used them with Trafomatic Experience Head One, Corda Prehead MkII SE, X-CAN v8, Earmax Pro, Rudistor RPX-100 and RSA Stealth. One of these should've done it right I think (as you may notice, these amps are all quite different in design and specs).

Feb 6, 2009 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 63
No problem with sibilance here. In fact, I specifically like how smooth these sound in the high-end. I am extremely sensitive to harsh highs.

Maybe it's the source?

Feb 7, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #11 of 63
I think they need a new cable as much as burn-in. NOBODY has ever called my APS V2 cabled D2000 sibilant, but many have said so about the stock D2000. I find the stock highs to be a little strident, but not terribly sibilant but there is a little sibilance there that can improve with burn-in and rolling tubes or equipment to suit them. It is no way as bad as the HFI-780 were with stock cable, but even a used D5000 cable for $35 will be an improvement for the D2000.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 63
Just got 770s and they're pretty harsh/trebley too. Both probably need 300 hours on el ampo. Failing that, tube it up. That always gets rid of pesky excess treble.

Edit: God, with some songs...hiss hiss hiss, sharp sharp sharp, nasty nasty nasty. Can't wait until when they break in fully (fingers crossed). No way these have wacky treble forever. Even (just for fun) the iTunes EQ won't kill off the foul, excessive, hissy treble. They sound good otherwise. Soundstage could be bigger. The worst part is they make my 650s sound under-trebley. Urgh.

Feb 7, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #13 of 63
Yup Yup, maybe try the recable Headphoneaddict said. But I just couldnt live with it.
I eventually osld mine. And also for the person talking about the D1000, that has less highs than the D2k, so its no comparison.

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #14 of 63
Are you using them straight out of an iPod? Your sig says you are ampless...

Feb 7, 2009 at 8:27 AM Post #15 of 63
Post says he's using a mini max. The cans probably need 300 hours to settle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back