d2000 sibilance fixes?
May 4, 2012 at 7:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

grapefruit

100+ Head-Fier
I bought my d2000's about a month ago and have put in about 20 hours of pink noise burnin on them, and the sibilance is still there.  It's especially annoying on vocal tracks, and I was wondering if there's a surefire way to get rid of it.  I love these headphones, but they tear apart vocals.  I can't stand it.  Would Markl modding them get rid of it?  

May 4, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #2 of 9
I don't hear it with mine. They are a touch bright though. I EQ -2 and they sound just right. What is your source? What amp if you have one? What is the quality of the music?

May 4, 2012 at 9:27 PM Post #4 of 9
I strongly suggest you try this very simple mod out: LINK

It made a huge difference with my D2000. I ended up using the KSC75 earpads for mine (trimmed to fit), though mine are also open-back modded. The earpads/material the guy used in the link should work well with stock.

May 4, 2012 at 11:50 PM Post #5 of 9
FLAC or 320kbps are what the majority of my music is played at.  I use a fiio E17, which I thought was supposed to be a slightly darker amp, but the sibilance seems more prominent when I use it than unamped.  Also, I find that when i reduce the treble EQ, I lose resolution while only reducing the sibilance.  And to hans, I'll definitely check that out, Ive got some unused portapro cushions that I think might work.

May 5, 2012 at 12:29 AM Post #6 of 9
File bitrate has nothing to do with the actual recording.  The recording itself carries the sibilance.  I really havn't heard an 'audiophile' headphone that doesn't have sibilance when it's in the recording-- that would include DT990, HD650, HE-400 along with D2000.

May 5, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
File bitrate has nothing to do with the actual recording.  The recording itself carries the sibilance.  I really havn't heard an 'audiophile' headphone that doesn't have sibilance when it's in the recording-- that would include DT990, HD650, HE-400 along with D2000.

No, the D2000 can definitely be a bit sibilant and bright even with a good recording. However, Denon has been making some very minor changes to their DX000 line over the years (see the article on Innerfidelity). The latest models measure as less bright and have a more even 300Hz sine wave. All I know is the model I got at the end of 2010 did exhibit some sibilance. Not enough to bother me, but it was there.

May 5, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 9
I tried the cushion mod, and the sibilance was subdued a bit, along with the rest of the highs.  I do enjoy the slightly warmer midrange, but I'm not a big fan of the veiled effect.  Any other ideas?

May 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:
I tried the cushion mod, and the sibilance was subdued a bit, along with the rest of the highs.  I do enjoy the slightly warmer midrange, but I'm not a big fan of the veiled effect.  Any other ideas?

Experiment with more porous materials.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back