D2000 or HD650
Mar 15, 2008 at 10:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

orbitalpunk

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I am trying to decide between the Denon D2000's and sennheiser HD650 and have pro's and con's for both but really can't decide. Can anyone share a similar experience and what was the deciding factor for them?

d2000 pros are way more comfortable, better bass for rock
cos - smaller sounds stage

hd650 pros big soundstage. great for classical/acoustic
cons- not nearly as comfortable, the velour earpads seem like its s pain to keep up cleaning wise, weak bass when compared to the d2000's for rock.

Mar 15, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #2 of 49
Firstly, what's your taste of music?
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 12:51 PM Post #4 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktheone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Firstly, what's your taste of music?
biggrin.gif

everything except for country and reggae. NIN, Nirvana, Radiohead, Aphex Twin, George Michael, Keane. Lots. Thats why its a tought choice. 650s are great for soft ambient stuff and d2000 kick ***** with rock/punk/industrial

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:06 PM Post #6 of 49
x2 on D2000. HD650s DEMAND good amplification, and are not suitable for most rock/punk, IMO. (not fatiguing after long listening, though).

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:11 PM Post #7 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nebby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do what I did and get both
wink.gif

Oh, actually I did get both D5000s and HD650s almost the same time
tongue.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 1:38 PM Post #9 of 49
They're a good combo! I picked up the D5k's shortly after picking up the 650's, and between the two I think they cover the the entire sound genre spectrum somewhat well
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2008 at 4:30 PM Post #12 of 49
It depends on the rest of your set-up. The 650s need a decent (not necessarily expensive) home amp, and preferably a good source (at minimum, an okay dac, lossless, or dedicated cdp, etc). They reveal every improvement, but at the same time, they don't sound nearly as good as they are known for sounding with low-fi sources and/or inadequate (portable) amplification. The Denons aren't as picky and are more forgiving. On the other hand, they don't respond to system upgrades as well. The 650s are better headphones, more refined, better balanced, etc., but you have to think about the whole system to bring that sq out, even if that means getting the headphones first and enjoying the changes as you make improvements over time. The Denons are decent headphones, but that's about it. Both are perfectly comfortable, but if you get the Senns new, you might experience some clamping of the headband until broken in.

Mar 15, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #14 of 49
I haver a caveat - if you ever do get an amp, really good or otherwise, the D2000 will be short lived - I kept a pair for two weeks - because it took me a week to sell them. IFF you are into artificially pumped up bass, it might be there for you. just temper your expectations on the Denon and you won't be disappointed.

To those who content HD650 need thousands in amplification:

I feel this is a REAL disservice - my HD6xx sounded great even with a $75 (used) Creek OBH-11 - so the myth of uber amp is simply erroneous. That they can sound _even better_ with a pricier amp - accurate. And 4x better balanced.

Oh, and I built a balanced tube amp WITH DAC for ~$700 - nowhere near 'thousands'. A DIY Millatt, m³ or the like can be <$300, and really make the HD6xx shine even SE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back