D2000 or HD650
Mar 16, 2008 at 7:38 AM Post #31 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650 smashes the D2000 into little tiny bits.

i just like the way that sounds.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2008 at 7:43 AM Post #32 of 49
another vote for the d2000...I was soooo tempted to make the quick buck and sell them after the amazon deal...but after everyone convinced me to try them out I'm happy to report that they saved me from making a big mistake...thanks to everyone!

seems to me to be a great all-around can...i have absolutely no regrets on buying these...

Mar 16, 2008 at 9:07 AM Post #33 of 49
just a quick question to people who have used both.

do you find to have less ear fatigue on the 650's? i am noticing that and am not sure why. is it because of the open back system?

any input would be helpful.
and thank you again for the great posts. i've really enjoyed reading this thread.

Mar 16, 2008 at 10:14 AM Post #34 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Monkey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The HD650 smashes the D2000 into little tiny bits.

+1

The HD650 has chunks of cans better than the D2000 in it's stool

Mar 16, 2008 at 3:55 PM Post #35 of 49
As always, the new dudes goal, budjet , and expectation based upon previous referance (genere & compared to what previous experience), should be the important criteria here; Rather than which has the best "Referance potential" based upon others budjet and goals in defence of "which is best, with multi caveats"...IMO...

For instance, the HD-650s(my second 'phones), were very disappointing in my first system of Headfive / Squeezebox / lossless files / Bluejeans I/Cs / see sig. for generes (ie. better recordings/ masters/mix... Whereas the k-701s, to my ear in that system smashed the HD-650 into little tiny bits to be found in the k-701s stool, to borrow the phrases above.

Entry level systems, expectations and budjets(sub $1200 systems, perhaps), IMO&E & if I were you, knowing what I know now, well you get the idea, see sig
wink.gif

You mention an A/B test... Of course, that's the best test, in your systems and to your ear, rather than others goals, budjet, systems, and referance as to which and what Headphone is "The Best"...

BTW, the Senns HD-650 is the "Best Headphone" potentially, of the two, for many.
smily_headphones1.gif

Good luck~

Mar 28, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #36 of 49
well i decided to go with the hd650. for 2 reasons.

1. I plan to purchase a good amp and dac and from what i read, the hd650 will benefit form that alot. right now my im just using my macs line out.

2. one difference i have discovered from the two is this. If i had to really define what separates these two head phones, this is what i would say. the d2000 sound like headphones. and good ones. but the hd650 sound like youre really there. after listening to the hd650 for a while, i started to noticed the closed isolation each time i put the d2000's one. like im in a closet. but the hd650 sound very natural. like im there. d2000 are punchy and nice, but it never sounds like that in real life. so there both great. but its a very personal preference.

i must say, i got spooked several times on the hd650 whlie at home alone. the sounds seems so natural i thought certain ones were happening right behind me. i couldn't tell it came from my headphones.

i hopping to save up for a headroom desktop home amp/dac. i hope it plays well with the hd650.

thanks again for the replies. i really appreciate it guys.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:52 AM Post #39 of 49
Well we all now that Boomana is one of the biggest Dx000 hater on head-fi
wink.gif

And that I am one who loves them as they are.

I dissagree completely that the D2000 is not revealing, every little change I do in my system is heard easily with D2000. And with my previous x-can v3 (an amp that is said to work very well with HD650) and rotel my D2000 was the most natural and detailed of the two.

The D2000 is easily driven and has low ohm, that could actually be negative with some good amps made with the 300ohms HD650 as a reference, a low impedance amp or a resistor would be the best for them.

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:07 AM Post #40 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by bada bing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
+1

The HD650 has chunks of cans better than the D2000 in it's stool

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:47 PM Post #42 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by orbitalpunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well i decided to go with the hd650. for 2 reasons.

1. I plan to purchase a good amp and dac and from what i read, the hd650 will benefit form that alot. right now my im just using my macs line out.

2. one difference i have discovered from the two is this. If i had to really define what separates these two head phones, this is what i would say. the d2000 sound like headphones. and good ones. but the hd650 sound like youre really there. after listening to the hd650 for a while, i started to noticed the closed isolation each time i put the d2000's one. like im in a closet. but the hd650 sound very natural. like im there. d2000 are punchy and nice, but it never sounds like that in real life. so there both great. but its a very personal preference.

i must say, i got spooked several times on the hd650 whlie at home alone. the sounds seems so natural i thought certain ones were happening right behind me. i couldn't tell it came from my headphones.

i hopping to save up for a headroom desktop home amp/dac. i hope it plays well with the hd650.

thanks again for the replies. i really appreciate it guys.

Well done. You weren't in any danger of making a "wrong" decision here, but I think you approached it very well, listened to the advice, tested the cans. and thought it through. Others can learn from this thread. Of course, my prediction is that you will, at some point, like any good head-fier, also purchase the D2000
biggrin.gif

As for the HR Desktop, check my profile. I think the 650 and the HR Desktop line mate very well. If you have any specific questions re the combo, feel free to PM me.

Mar 28, 2008 at 2:09 PM Post #43 of 49
(I know the OP has already decide, but I'll post anyway
tongue.gif
)

If I had to go back and choose again, I'd probably get the HD650s rather than the D2000s. The D2000s are great for rock, but not very good for female vocals - which I listen to the most. They have too much bass for me also.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #44 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gurra1980 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well we all now that Boomana is one of the biggest Dx000 hater on head-fi
wink.gif

And that I am one who loves them as they are.

<snip>

The D2000 is easily driven and has low ohm, that could actually be negative with some good amps made with the 300ohms HD650 as a reference, a low impedance amp or a resistor would be the best for them.

I have thrown several good amps at the Dx000, and came to the same conclusions, even recabled. Let's just say I got Boomana's back on this one.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #45 of 49
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottyyy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(I know the OP has already decide, but I'll post anyway
tongue.gif
)

If I had to go back and choose again, I'd probably get the HD650s rather than the D2000s. The D2000s are great for rock, but not very good for female vocals - which I listen to the most. They have too much bass for me also.

Female vocalists is my favorite genre
biggrin.gif
think Katie Melua, Regina Spector, Diana Krall, Eva Cassidy.

And yes HD650 has a very nice midrange and treble for those type of singers. But I tend to fall asleep
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back