D2000 or D5000 - Which one
Apr 23, 2012 at 5:51 AM Post #17 of 32
$719 - but i heard these are really power hungry, and i don't know what their bass levels are like.

HE-500 bass extension is among the best, they're world class from top to bottom. And they aren't that hard to drive, your Matrix M-Stage would be fine. Some people get a little... carried away and start to think of them the same way as their big brother the HE-6, but they really aren't similar in that way at all. They're much, much easier to drive properly.

Apr 23, 2012 at 6:18 AM Post #18 of 32

Quote:
The 940's are only $298, are they in the same league?

More detailed treble, much much more bass-light, compared to Denons (2000 or 5000), like the other end of the spectrum in terms of bass quantity. It's a niche sound that's ideal for certain professional applications but maybe not for pure musicality.

Apr 23, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #19 of 32

Quote:

More detailed treble, much much more bass-light, compared to Denons (2000 or 5000), like the other end of the spectrum in terms of bass quantity. It's a niche sound that's ideal for certain professional applications but maybe not for pure musicality.

I agree that the Denons have more sub bass and a bit more bass (especially the 2000), but the Shure SRH 940 is hardly bass light.

I don't find the Shure to be overly clinical or just a professional can.  It outperforms even the D7000 with certain types of music, especially that with significant electronic instruments/sounds, like the Phil Collins version of Genesis.

Apr 24, 2012 at 3:45 AM Post #20 of 32
just buy the D2000 with a good amp (i have a Fiio E11) and you got a great sounding headphone, trust me i was in the same boat as you, but considering the price difference, it wasnt worth it! yeah the D5000 is slightly better but not worth almost twice the price, the D2000 are really, really Good!! trust me

Apr 24, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
Firstly, ill set the scene.

I currently own Sennheiser HD202, HD 280 pro and Beyerdynamic DT990

I amp them all from a matrix M:stage and HRT Music Streamer II usb dac.

My portable solution is my galaxy nexus (no portable amp yet).

Im looking for something that sounds incredible, like my DT990s, with firm bass for Trance, House and RnB.
It needs to be closed and able to be amped by a non-expensive portable amp (recommendations for amp?) - something unfortunately my DT990s cant do being open and 600ohm.

I had my eyes set on D2000's, but have no problems stretching another $250 AU if the D5000 are worth it.

Thoughts?

What ever your going to do, you better do it fast.  Check it out 
eek.gif
  http://www.head-fi.org/t/607132/denon-ah-d2000-ah-d5000-ah-d7000-headphones-officially-discontinued 

Apr 25, 2012 at 6:37 AM Post #28 of 32
What about the AKG K550 for $399?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQ_PPvD9Bk

They appear to fill my initial requirement - Sealed closed back, good bass, Good over ear coverage, easy to drive. Plus there is added benefits of being a single sided cable and able to fold away.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Apr 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM Post #29 of 32

Quote:
What about the AKG K550 for $399?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYQ_PPvD9Bk

They appear to fill my initial requirement - Sealed closed back, good bass, Good over ear coverage, easy to drive. Plus there is added benefits of being a single sided cable and able to fold away.

Anyone have any experience with them?

These could be a good alternative for you as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back