D2000 -> AD900/DT880/HD600?
Sep 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

hipzilla

New Head-Fier
Hey all!

I'm ready for another set of new headphones.  My AD700s had been awesome for games, but they had left me desiring a little more in music and movies (where is my bass!?).  Based on other peoples reviews I went ahead and ordered a pair of Denon D2000s and I absolutely love the way they sound.  However, after a week I am not finding them comfortable at all.  Maybe I have dumbo-sized ears, but my ears feel sort of squished and folded over in the padding and between that and my naturally warm room I've been feeling some moisture in my ears.  I'm also bald (not a good combo for someone with possible dumbo-sized ears eh? lol) and the headband resting on my skull isn't all that pleasant.  The "wing" system on the AD700s was much more comfortable in that regard.

I was curious if there it would be possible to get a set of cans that sound like the D2000s but are built more like the AD700s.  I don't need closed cans and honestly think I'd prefer to have another open set to keep some air circulating around my ears.  I also think that I prefer the felt-type feeling over that of pleather.  I'd like to keep it in the $200-300 range if possible.  Help me Head-Fi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2010 at 12:57 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:
What are you plugging the headphones into? Do you have an amp?

Into an STX at the moment.  I'm not against purchasing a desktop amp, but it will definitely be after I get comfortable with whatever headphones I buy next.

Quote:
I have yet to find a sufficient upgrade to the AD700.

They are just too good. But remember to use your EQ!

I've played with the EQ, but they just don't get low like the D2000s do.  Other than that, they are an amazing set of cans.
biggrin.gif

Is there a set of felt pads for D2000s?  Do the AD900s sound like the AD700s but with more bass?

Oct 15, 2010 at 10:35 PM Post #6 of 7
I've done a bunch of reading this afternoon and I am at a total loss now.
triportsad.gif
  I did, however, learn that there are 3 different types of every Beyer headphone!

Are there any open cans that sounds similar to the D2000s, or is the sound that I am enjoying so much the Denon "house sound"?  I'd enjoy the sound more if my ears weren't folder over with the headphones on.

I love the way the AD700s fit me, and I am assuming that the AD700s and AD2000s would fit similarly since they share the same design.  Do either of those headphones share the sound qualities of the D2000?

Do you all have any recommendations that I haven't thought of?

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #7 of 7
Hi Hipzilla
smily_headphones1.gif

From what I read, the ATH A900 have good bass and also "wings"! Im a gamer and recently I was doing a research in order to pull the trigger and buy my first decent pair of cans. I thought about the AD700 but bought a DT 770 pro 80 (will arrive next Monday!!! I cant wait!!) as I listen to house and triphop and wanted my first pair to have bass.

the A900 was in top of my list, but I couldnt afford it... from what I read, I think that you could give it a try. 

my friendly 2 cents! 

Cj 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back