D.C. Area Meet (August 30, 2015) Impressions Thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 16, 2015 at 7:53 AM Post #151 of 204
Do you know how far apart the two HD650s were manufactured?

I did see a timeline on the HD650 thread, which went something like this:

1. Silver outer packing. Silver box. Not a silver driver - this is the original, which is what I've owned from when the HD650 was first released.
  2. Silver outer packing. Black box. A silver driver - don't quote me on this, but I recall around 2009. And this is what I got from eBay.
  3. Black outer packing. Not sure if there is an inner box? This is supposed to be the same as the headphone above, only with simpler packing.

You might want to search the HD650 thread though, to be certain.

EDIT: In case you don't have the timeline memorized HD580 was released in 1993, HD600 in 1997, and my HD650 in 2003. So there must be at least 6-7 years between the two headphones.

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #152 of 204
EDIT: In case you don't have the timeline memorized HD580 was released in 1993, HD600 in 1997, and my HD650 in 2003. So there must be at least 6-7 years between the two headphones.

Thanks for this. I certainly did not know that timeline. *sheepish*
I wonder if the acoustic changes over time were intentional or an indirect result of manufacturing changes.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM Post #154 of 204
[Edited for clarity]

For anyone that saw Masdrop's project to manufacture an Objective 2, I had ordered it.

I gave it several hours of listening last weekend. I am thoroughly impressed with it.

Sure it's ugly. Yes, the cables clumsily protrude from the front of the device. But, it's very transparent and plenty powerful to drive just about anything.

I used my Oppo HA-1 as a DAC to feed the O2 and tried to compare O2's output to that of the HA-1 running everything (basically, HA-1 DAC was common to both outputs and I'm comparing the amp section of the HA-1 to the O2).

When quickly switching back and forth between the two, I thought the O2 sounded thinner and vocals both male and female sounded distant.

Then I began to wonder if it was my own bias. I attempted to remove my bias by having my wife switch the inputs without me seeing it. That too ran into problems. I could hear the clicks from the HA-1 when its output changed. So I knew which amp I was listening to.

Next, I would leave the room entirely while my wife changed sources. I no longer knew the source, but the amount of time that elapsed between having heard a sample, to leaving the room, to having the source changed, to returning to the room, and hearing the next sample was far too long.

I was unable to differentiate between the amps.

I succeeded in not knowing which source I was hearing, but my test environment was terrible. My brain had forgotten too much of the audio I was trying to compare.

However, I think whatever differences exist between the HA-1 and the O2 (acoustically) are not the difference between crossing an ocean and crossing a stream. The differences require close scrutiny.

For $70, this is just remarkable.

NwAvGuy, if you're still out there, you were on to something.

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #155 of 204
Received my new Shanling M3 DAP yesterday.  Really enjoying this little device.  Nice solid build made entirely out of aluminum but my favorite feature is the optical transport.  Now I don't have to setup my pc at meets anymore and I can actually try other setups with my own music.  Really hoping I can make it to the meet next month, might have to travel on business, but I sure hope i can make it back in time.

Oct 16, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #157 of 204
I got lucky with the travel this year, although it was initially scheduled to start the day after the meet
eek.gif

Safe travels, to all!

Oct 16, 2015 at 5:32 PM Post #158 of 204
Just got my Blackwood. It. Is. Fantastic. I realize it's just first impressions, but really, these sound great to me. Quick impressions vs. Alpha Prime is that the AP is distinctly sweet sounding in the bass and midrange.. Tonally the Blackwood is brighter, but is not really bright. When Zach Merbach says they're linear and smooth in the treble, he means it. I tend to prefer sweeter/warmer headphones, but I really think this Blackwood tuning is just spot on natural gold. A lot like PM-3 with  slightly smoother top and a touch more bass. And they sound very open for a closed headphone. I'm honestly shocked that either of these headphones could be a modified $100 headphone. I really liked the AP, and I'd have to have both side-by-side to truly compare perfectly, but I can say that neither blows the other out of the water, and I'm very happy about my purchase.

If it seems like I'm not elaborating on the AP, its because I don't own it to continually write and formulate opinions. Just figured none of you own or have heard the blackwood, so those impressions might be more vital. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #161 of 204
  Received my new Shanling M3 DAP yesterday.  Really enjoying this little device.  Nice solid build made entirely out of aluminum but my favorite feature is the optical transport.  Now I don't have to setup my pc at meets anymore and I can actually try other setups with my own music.  Really hoping I can make it to the meet next month, might have to travel on business, but I sure hope i can make it back in time.

Had this is the back of my mind after reading your post. What do you think about the FiiO X3, as a portable digital source? I would probably listen to the line-out and headphone jack, just because the outputs are there. But I truly wanted just a portable digital source.

Oct 18, 2015 at 10:38 AM Post #162 of 204
Had this is the back of my mind after reading your post. What do you think about the FiiO X3, as a portable digital source? I would probably listen to the line-out and headphone jack, just because the outputs are there. But I truly wanted just a portable digital source.

I do believe the fiio players have a coaxial output so they should all work as a portable source . I really like the idea of having that for the reason I mentioned, I can't think of a better way to be able to use your own music on another system in these sort of meet conditions.

Oct 18, 2015 at 12:33 PM Post #163 of 204
I do believe the fiio players have a coaxial output so they should all work as a portable source . I really like the idea of having that for the reason I mentioned, I can't think of a better way to be able to use your own music on another system in these sort of meet conditions.

yeah, I have the X3ii and it has a digital coaxial output. Unfortunately the X1 does not

Oct 19, 2015 at 12:18 PM Post #164 of 204
Good to know about the X3. I should have one by around Friday this week.

On a different topic, travel is definitely starting to pick up. I still have no issues with making it to the show in November, but I won't be able to bring the new HD650 to the show for comparison. I am traveling, prior to the show, and will meet with the guy who is buying it from me. He said no worries if I wanted to keep it a little longer, but I still think it only makes sense to have him check it out in person - and keep it because you know, well, it's his headphone. My curiosity itch has been scratched, but sorry for not bringing it with me in November.

So alas, no new shiny HD650 to bring to the show - just my 10-year old version.

Oct 19, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #165 of 204
Very cool, I was initially looking at the fiio players but I wanted optical just to go into my optical repeater and I was looking for a DAP that could deliver a lot of power and the Shanling delivers 300mW into 32ohms. Only other option for a DAP with optical was the multi-kilobuck A&K players and I wasn't prepared to spend that kind of money on something I probably wasn't going to use much outside of meets and travel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back