Cyrus 8vs headphone output? a cmoy with real power? pics!
Mar 29, 2007 at 10:43 PM Post #46 of 58
Marco,
Good to hear that you like the HD414 pads! I've found that pretty much everything has fallen in to place with them.
Test the attenuating trick. Might have been placebo, but might also have been a real difference there.
I e-mailed way back and asked them about the quality of the headphone output and if a PSX-R would benefit it. This is the reply I got..

"All Cyrus components are designed by our highly experienced engineers to the highest quality. Our dedicated headphone amplifiers built into the Cyrus 6vs, 8vs and PreXvs are all designed to offer the high quality of sound that you would expect from a Cyrus product.

The addition of a PSX-R to the Cyrus 8vs improves the quality of the Pre amplifier, effectively splitting the power supplies into a separate pre/power combination. A practice that is widely agreed to vastly improve audio quality. This will benefit the headphone output as the improved audio quality from the Pre amp stage will be sent to the headphone amplifier."

Apr 7, 2007 at 6:02 PM Post #47 of 58
Hi, everyone. Thought I would jump in here. I just got an 8vs amp, and have been trying to decide between using the built-in amp on the Cyrus, or running tape out to my RA-1. I have done both, and initially I thought the RA-1 was clearly better. Although now I am not so sure! I am getting used to the way the Cyrus amp presents the music, plus I think some "breaking in" is going on, too. It's good to have a choice between the two. I am listening with some brand new 325i's (which are also breaking in). Thanks for all the info about the amp.

Apr 11, 2007 at 8:11 PM Post #50 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ackrmann,
Interesting! I'm looking forward to hearing more impressions. I think that the RA-1 and the 8vs output both are neutral, but the RA-1 is slightly more forward and bright.

It is more forward I suppose. Maybe that's what I like about it so much. I have recently discovered that I much prefer forward to laid-back. This is the main reason I chose the 325i's from Grado over the RS models and even the GS-1000's (which I owned for two weeks before returning). In any case, I think the RA-1 has a very "open" and (to steal someone else's description) "liquid" character. I feel like I get more separation as well. However, the Cyrus 8vs headphone amp does have strong dynamics. When the guitars kick in, they REALLY kick in. :)

I am curious to know what adding a PSX-R power supply would do to the sound of the headphone-out as well. I may be getting one soon, so I'll keep you posted.

Apr 15, 2007 at 11:40 PM Post #51 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ackrmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I am curious to know what adding a PSX-R power supply would do to the sound of the headphone-out as well. I may be getting one soon, so I'll keep you posted.

Well, I picked up the PSX-R this past weekend. A terrific upgrade for the 8vs. For it's price, simplicity of operation, and performance, it's a "no brainer". Get it.

The headphone amp sounds better now, mostly I suppose as a result of the improved pre-amp section that is feeding it (the PSX-R powers the pre-amp). So the sound has more clarity, control, and dynamics (both through loudspeakers and through the headphone amp).

I am happy I chose to try the 8vs. As a previous Naim amp owner (the original Nait5), I am pleased with the Cyrus sound.

Apr 17, 2007 at 1:06 AM Post #53 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ackrmann,
Good to hear! How does it compare to the RA-1 now that you have the PSX-R?

That is a great question. Hard to answer, though. I really do love the RA-1, and I use it in my "laptop setup" (laptop-->EMU 0404 USB-->RA-1) which is where I do almost all of my headphone listening. The RA-1 is another "no brainer" in my opinion, as it really makes the Grado cans "sing" as they say. It's DESIGNED to.

However, if I didn't have one, and had nothing but the Cyrus amp, I can't say I would be disappointed. And when I DO want to listen to headphones through my main rig, I won't be running tape out to the RA-1, I'll be plugging into that rear jack, sitting back, and turning it up.

May 21, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #54 of 58
I don't think people who know what's inside the RA1 hold it in very high regard. Kudos to Cyrus - they weren't even trying to build a headphone amp, and they've already matched it.

Of course this is just my personal opinion, RA1 fans will disagree.

The RA-1 must rank as one of biggest Rip-offs in the Audio business, period! No need to be apologetic about it, either...

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #56 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently something I took for granted.
biggrin.gif

I haven't had extensive experience using the headphone out of my Cyrus (if only because the headphone jack is so darned hard to reach...), but I certainly can report a pleasant experience using it with my AKGs (that includes the K340). The totally electronic control plus the remote capability is quite something too! If only headphone amps come with these as standard.

I have actually only listened to the amp with Grado's I'm afraid. I've owned dedicated amps in the past, including the RA-1. As I've found that the headphone output on the 8vs always sounded as good, I didn't bother with a new headphone amp. I want to say that it's not a warm amp or an amp with big bass. It's sounds strictly neutral to me. You get what's there. Sort of like my experience with the RA-1 and works very well for Grado's.

Regarding the headphone jack on the back it's not a problem if you only use one pair of headphones like I do. But I always use an extension cable so I have the jack on the front anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Reason I opened up the amp and had a look is because I wanted to know why I thought it sounded so good. The headphone output needs burn in and warm up though before anyone seriously judge it.

I'm thinking of giving up my Burson soloist for the cyrus 8A because I want to expand my HIFI listening with loud speakers, so if the cyrus can still power my HD 800's well, then I don't need to have 2 amps! I know they are different. 1 is an OPAMP and the other is a class a, but do I really need both if the cyrus headphone amp rocks!! ? :wink:

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:30 PM Post #57 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by ackrmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, I picked up the PSX-R this past weekend. A terrific upgrade for the 8vs. For it's price, simplicity of operation, and performance, it's a "no brainer". Get it.

The headphone amp sounds better now, mostly I suppose as a result of the improved pre-amp section that is feeding it (the PSX-R powers the pre-amp). So the sound has more clarity, control, and dynamics (both through loudspeakers and through the headphone amp).

I am happy I chose to try the 8vs. As a previous Naim amp owner (the original Nait5), I am pleased with the Cyrus sound.

The PSXR is a killer upgrade. It allows certain areas of the amp to concentrate on main circuitry functions without powering them as well. The psxr allows for full functionality of the analogue inputs and DACS

Aug 12, 2014 at 12:58 AM Post #58 of 58
Hi

My friends Cyrus had the Ti chip TPA6120A2 headphone amp chip inside a few years ago when we looked.

John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back