Cyrus 8vs headphone output? a cmoy with real power? pics!
Mar 19, 2007 at 4:52 PM Post #16 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I love the upside down labels - something you can actually read when leaning over from above to hook stuff up.

x2. Exactly what I thought when looking at that pic.

Mar 19, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, but it can't possibly sound as good because it lacks the mahogany box.
wink.gif

That may be true, but I like the Cyrus design and box better.
biggrin.gif

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:00 PM Post #18 of 58
Interesting stuff, not really extensivly listened to the headphone out on my 8vs. I will give it a good lsiten soon.

Given the optional PSX-R power supply looks after the pre-amp stage of the amplifier I wonder if this affects the headphone stage ?

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #19 of 58
Marco,
Give it a try with your Grado's! I'm very interested in your findings! I think it would sound very differently from your other amps. It's a shame you don't have a RA-1 you could compare it to..
The PSX-R will probably affect the headphone output quite a bit, because it only powers the pre amp in the 8vs and 8vs2.
BTW. I use my RS-1's with flats..

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #21 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Marco2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will give it a go when I have got some time. I use flats on my RS-1's too
rs1smile.gif

Good to hear!
rs1smile.gif

If you haven't run the headphone output in, don't forget to do that.

Mar 19, 2007 at 10:57 PM Post #22 of 58
I must only have a few hours usage at most. How long in your experience do you think it needs to run in ? I will start to leave it playing under headphones when I am not using speakers and clock up a few hours on it.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #23 of 58
I don't know, but I've used mine a lot of hours. Probably a couple of hundred hours. I'm not saying it'll need that much but give it a couple of hours more. Maybe even take a before burning in listen!
wink.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #26 of 58
Found myself with a couple of hours to spare so hooked up the RS-1's with Flats to the 8vs and early impressions are quite good.

Doesn't have the resolution or detail I am used too. AC/DC didn't come across with the same gusto, music just doesn't seem as engaging, seems a bit more laid back.

I am liking the tone though, highs are not too bright.

I then had the idea I might get away with using Bowl pads and I am pleased I tried it. Currently listening to Superstition by Stevie Wonder, detail, resolution and musicality are all back !!

I have to say this is the best I have heard RS-1's with bowls in my rig. Will keep listening and clocking up some more hours.

I found in my rig with the other amps that bowls are just to bright, too thin sounding. If it wasn't for flats I would not be using Grado's with the other amps.

Mar 20, 2007 at 9:34 PM Post #27 of 58
Marco,
Good to hear! It might need to burn in a bit longer.
I've used the amp for my RS-1's for about 2 years and didn't find it too impressive in the beginning, but because of the neutral sound I've really started to appreciate it. It's like it's not there..

Mar 21, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #28 of 58
Some tips on how getting the most out of your Cyrus headphone output.

1. Let it burn in for 50-100 hours before doing any serious listening.

2. Let it warm up. Cyrus amps really need to warm up to get the most out of them.

3. If you have a PSX-R upgradeable amp it might be worth getting it, but I haven't done any comparison between with and without. I would think that it improves the headphone output a little bit though.

4. All Cyrus inputs except the CD input can be set to -6 to +6 db sensitivity. I heard an improvement setting the input to -6 db and it also makes it easier to control the volume accurately.

5. It might be worth getting a shielded headphone extension cable, because the headphone output is on the back and close to other cables like power cords and interconnects. However, I use the Grado extension cable and it works well.

6. Cyrus recommends solid core interconnects. Might we worth looking in to the Cyrus (DNM) interconnect or Nordost or Audioquest. I'm not a big cable believer though and don't know if it would make a big difference.

Mar 22, 2007 at 11:09 PM Post #30 of 58
Marco,
What I thought I heard was better soundstage and stronger bass. An overall improvement. But I'm not sure, might have been placebo. Hard to match the volume too. But you might get benefits by attenuating. Attenuators are even sold seperately, but we Cyrus owners are spoiled and have it built in
biggrin.gif

One thing that's for sure is that it was easier to get the volume right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back