Cyrus 8vs headphone output? a cmoy with real power? pics!
Mar 18, 2007 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 58

MartinB

100+ Head-Fier
I took some pics inside my Cyrus 8vs amp. I've always thought that this amp has sounded pretty good with Grado's. Very neutral! I opened up the amp and it looks like the dedicated headphone amp is a cmoy based design? or am I wrong? Funny thing is that the parts in the Cyrus headphone circuit probably costs more than the same parts in a RA-1 + I get a huge power supply, multiple inputs, selectable input sensitivity and remote control.
From what I've seen of the parts there's Elna capacitors, TPA152 op amp and a 6.3mm Neutrik jack.

R0011539.JPG

R0011541.JPG

R0011555.JPG

R0011556.JPG

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:12 AM Post #9 of 58
I don't think people who know what's inside the RA1 hold it in very high regard. Kudos to Cyrus - they weren't even trying to build a headphone amp, and they've already matched it.

Of course this is just my personal opinion, RA1 fans will disagree.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:21 AM Post #10 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, I love the upside down labels - something you can actually read when leaning over from above to hook stuff up.

Apparently something I took for granted.
biggrin.gif

I haven't had extensive experience using the headphone out of my Cyrus (if only because the headphone jack is so darned hard to reach...), but I certainly can report a pleasant experience using it with my AKGs (that includes the K340). The totally electronic control plus the remote capability is quite something too! If only headphone amps come with these as standard.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:26 AM Post #11 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,
It's on the back of the amp.

http://cyrusaudio.com/prd_downloads/8vs2_re_1.jpg

Sweet
biggrin.gif
Any idea how it fares with other cans? Now I know where the 8vs will be going when he decides to upgrade
tongue.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think people who know what's inside the RA1 hold it in very high regard. Kudos to Cyrus - they weren't even trying to build a headphone amp, and they've already matched it.

Ay, still remember that big thread on the RA1's internals that went to hell..

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:33 AM Post #12 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by db597 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The quality and cost of the capacitors, jack and op amp in the Cyrus is probably more expensive than the same parts in the RA-1. Add to that, that it has a large power supply and probably a better potentiometer too.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:39 AM Post #13 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zorander /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Apparently something I took for granted.
biggrin.gif

I haven't had extensive experience using the headphone out of my Cyrus (if only because the headphone jack is so darned hard to reach...), but I certainly can report a pleasant experience using it with my AKGs (that includes the K340). The totally electronic control plus the remote capability is quite something too! If only headphone amps come with these as standard.

I have actually only listened to the amp with Grado's I'm afraid. I've owned dedicated amps in the past, including the RA-1. As I've found that the headphone output on the 8vs always sounded as good, I didn't bother with a new headphone amp. I want to say that it's not a warm amp or an amp with big bass. It's sounds strictly neutral to me. You get what's there. Sort of like my experience with the RA-1 and works very well for Grado's.
Regarding the headphone jack on the back it's not a problem if you only use one pair of headphones like I do. But I always use an extension cable so I have the jack on the front anyway
smily_headphones1.gif

Reason I opened up the amp and had a look is because I wanted to know why I thought it sounded so good. The headphone output needs burn in and warm up though before anyone seriously judge it.

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:43 AM Post #14 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmmtn4aj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet
biggrin.gif
Any idea how it fares with other cans? Now I know where the 8vs will be going when he decides to upgrade
tongue.gif

Ay, still remember that big thread on the RA1's internals that went to hell..

I might actually keep it or not bother to get a new amp. Hard to do any real comparison without having any amps to compare it to though.
plainface.gif

My impressions is after long term usage, but the pics might explain why I think it sounds as good as a RA-1..

Mar 19, 2007 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 58
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The quality and cost of the capacitors, jack and op amp in the Cyrus is probably more expensive than the same parts in the RA-1. Add to that, that it has a large power supply and probably a better potentiometer too.

Yes, but it can't possibly sound as good because it lacks the mahogany box.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back