Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Oct 21, 2011 at 1:47 AM Post #724 of 1,793
After testing, I conclude that I prefer the sound of SINGLE ENDED INPUT on the SR71B, directly from the CLAS, over the CLAS->DB2->Balanced input on SR71B. The sound on the fully balanced setup is noticeably thinner and the bass is weaker, and overly bright for me. The sound of CLAS -> SR71B -> balanced out to LCD2 is just right for me. This may be due to the Moon Audio coaxial and balanced cables (silver?) used with addition of the DB2, but to avoid another derail, let's don't get into that. In general I kind of expected this as adding one more brick in the source chain would just add jitter anyways...

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #725 of 1,793

Quote:
After testing, I conclude that I prefer the sound of SINGLE ENDED INPUT on the SR71B, directly from the CLAS, over the CLAS->DB2->Balanced input on SR71B. The sound on the fully balanced setup is noticeably thinner and the bass is weaker, and overly bright for me. The sound of CLAS -> SR71B -> balanced out to LCD2 is just right for me. This may be due to the Moon Audio coaxial and balanced cables (silver?) used with addition of the DB2, but to avoid another derail, let's don't get into that. In general I kind of expected this as adding one more brick in the source chain would just add jitter anyways...

So you're saying when you went with a balanced connection you found the sound more analytical? I'm surprised a single ended input would give you a fuller bodied sound. Anyone else experience anything similar in other gear?

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:49 AM Post #726 of 1,793
Yes, exactly what I experienced - just tried the same combinations with my ES5.  Conclusion is the same. As I said it may be due to the addition of cables connecting the CLAS and DB2, and also the balanced to balanced IC between the DB2 and the SR71B, but let's not go into that. Next week I will bring in my Squeezebox touch from home and compare its digital out against the CLAS digital out and see if that makes a difference.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #727 of 1,793
Have you tried swapping out the chips re low pass filter? The spares are reported to increase bass response.... I've been happy with my CLAS>DB-2>PB-2 set up for a while but I'll check for differences by going back to SE input and skipping the DB-2.

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #728 of 1,793
No, I haven't tried swapping the included chips in the DB2 - does that make a big difference in your experience?

Oct 21, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #729 of 1,793
It just goes to show that the CLAS DAC is no slouch. I wanted to upgrade to the SR71B as well, but decided to stick with the protector since I'll be using them with IEMs only and got no need for the additional power. The CLAS is indeed a game changer.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:10 AM Post #731 of 1,793
Thanks dude, if you don't mind please let me know what kind of coaxial cable you are using. Cheers.

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #732 of 1,793

These are my DIY cables. Both silver....

I have A/B'd and A/B'd since my last post and my findings are different. With the DB-2 in the equasion the sound is wider with more micro detail but no loss of fullness or bass response. This is again with my LCD-2 and ES5's. The differences are more noticeable with the ES5's for sure.

The CLAS single ended into the PB-2 is still fantastic and if I was one of those guys who had to justify the cost of including the DB-2 for the return it gives, I'd probably have a hard time. The differences are there by going fully balanced but they aren't massive to my ears...

Oct 21, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #733 of 1,793
I agree with the sound stage popint but it does take a hit on the bass and also overall sound becomes brighter. Makes me suspect that it is a problem of the cables.

Oct 21, 2011 at 2:01 PM Post #735 of 1,793
I agree with the sound stage popint but it does take a hit on the bass and also overall sound becomes brighter. Makes me suspect that it is a problem of the cables.

Which wire are you using? Just curious :p

Might help to contact some of the other DB2 - SR71B owners out there. Jalo has a DB1 for his SR71B. Maybe they can comment on how theirs changed the sound, and see if it corresponds to what you're hearing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back