Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 28, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #496 of 1,793

Technically the clas does not suck the battery. The iPod just uses more enrgy when it is in usb transfer mode than when just feeding headphone jact og normal dock line-out

Quote:
No it doesn't. On the contrary its battery gets sucked by the CLAS

Sep 28, 2011 at 3:07 PM Post #497 of 1,793

Quote:
Technically the clas does not suck the battery. The iPod just uses more enrgy when it is in usb transfer mode than when just feeding headphone jact og normal dock line-out 

That's what I meant by getting sucked. iPod has less battery life when paired with the CLAS as opposed to any pairing with a portable headphone amp. 

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:34 PM Post #498 of 1,793
You guys sure? Maybe its the display, but a non fully charged iPod when connected to the CLAS... an hour later the screen is saying "Charged". Is that a glitch in the ipod itself than?

Sep 28, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #499 of 1,793
It has been extensively discussed and the firm message was that the clas by design does not charge the connected device since Apple requires that anything that charges also has to charge the iPad with it's huge battery

Sep 29, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #503 of 1,793

Quote:
 but thats just during the initial handshake.

Love it :) I think our Canadian friend must have experienced a divine intervention in his rig 

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:02 AM Post #504 of 1,793
Its your motherboard that is going crazy. I had it with my iPod 80GB after I dropped it into water. The gas gauge, charger of the iPod went nuts. Luckily I had a spare motherboard, changed it and now everything is OK.

It is true that the CLAS gives 5V, but that is it, nothing more, no current. You need a firmware update from Cypher Labs to charge the iPod. We had a discussion about this way back in this forum.

Quote:
You guys sure? Maybe its the display, but a non fully charged iPod when connected to the CLAS... an hour later the screen is saying "Charged". Is that a glitch in the ipod itself than?

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #505 of 1,793
Well maybe thats the issue, I was listening to the iPod for 3 hours straight it seems to be charged. 

On the side note..

Got the AMP & DAC engraved and changed the bind's for mounting tape.

What do you think guys, does it look better like that vs elastic's on it? I mean you can still see how its fixated but looks cleaner.

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:33 PM Post #506 of 1,793
this is probably difficult, if not impossible to answer, but does anyone have even a rough idea of how well the dac in the CLAS can perform relative to other dacs on the market -  like what price point does it compete in, or what other dacs is it known to equal, surpass, or be surpassed by.

I am particularly curious to know which ya'll think would come out on top - CLAS or schiit bifrost?

thanks

Sep 29, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #507 of 1,793

Quote:
this is probably difficult, if not impossible to answer, but does anyone have even a rough idea of how well the dac in the CLAS can perform relative to other dacs on the market -  like what price point does it compete in, or what other dacs is it known to equal, surpass, or be surpassed by.

I am particularly curious to know which ya'll think would come out on top - CLAS or schiit bifrost?

thanks

Schiit Bifrost most likely.

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #508 of 1,793
I got the DB2 yesterday and spent last night going between it and the CLAS. The CLAS is a very able DAC and seems more energetic/bright in comparrison but the DB2 just seems deeper, more 3D and definately more laid back. I don't know which I like best at this point but the DB2 with balanced output may just be edging it....

Sep 30, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #509 of 1,793
I got the DB2 yesterday and spent last night going between it and the CLAS. The CLAS is a very able DAC and seems more energetic/bright in comparrison but the DB2 just seems deeper, more 3D and definately more laid back. I don't know which I like best at this point but the DB2 with balanced output may just be edging it....

Notice any difference between balanced thru n' thru vs. SE input?

Sep 30, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #510 of 1,793
Yeah there is a difference. Everything seems more focussed, bolder and wider. It's more noticeable with the HE-500's but still awesome with the ES5's (both balanced). Just not overly happy with my interconnects at the moment. I only had about an hour to knock up a mini RCA to RCA coax and the DB2 to PB2 interconnect so hope to have more time over the weekend to make better ones, I'll take a pic for the PB2/DB2 thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back