Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Sep 21, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #421 of 1,793
Quote:

Nigel, look forward to your comparative review!  
wink.gif

biggrin.gif

Honestly though, I am one person who is not convinced that it matters whether you split and invert (i.e. balance) the signal at the DAC level or the amp level. Until a few years ago, it seems that people thought that you had to do it at the DAC level but clearly that thinking has changed - even at Headroom which now provides balanced amplification from an unbalanced source on the BUDA. Anyway I don't actually know if a balanced DAC is inherently better. I suspect that the bigger question is: which is the better DAC for SQ, CLAS or DB2? On that question, I really have no idea at all.

I have no idea either which is why I'm relying on RSA's portable balanced DAC. :p

Sep 21, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #422 of 1,793
Well I can honstly say hand on heart that the PB2 with balanced output is a considerable improvement over single ended, a bigger improvement than I was expecting. I want to investigate a little further before adding the DB2 to my arsenal, I'm suspicious that the improvement won't be as great as the above....

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:22 PM Post #423 of 1,793
Just to jump in here as it has been awhile...
I have been in heaven with my iPod Touch>CLAS>RX2>LCD2 Rev 2 for some time. I thought it could get no better. A friend asked me if I was going to try and go Balanced with Ray's new amp. I did a little research and decided to go for it and after a week now I am blown away. Another level has been reached. I just ordered the DB2 and the appropriate interconnects from Ken. I will have it all by the weekend and I will report back. I hate bypassing the CLAS DAC as I believe it to be very sweet and musical sounding. I will see what happens. I did so back to SE last night and that's when it hit me how amazing the balanced sound was! SE sounded small and the soundstage shrunk!
So for the few talking about it here. It is amazing. My hope is that the CLAS will soon join the balance crowd. I can see a big swing towards Balanced. It is simply better. I think :)
I want to thank all on these threads as I have been learning so much about portable audio. I realized I am a Head-Fi Geek.
BTW I got my balanced cable from Q Audio just to try something different. I hated cheating on Ken because he is my Audio Pusher but had to branch out. I have not A/B balanced cables but Steve's cable was great.
Sorry this is off topic but glad the CLAS is in the chain and happy to hear the CLAS re locks going out!

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:36 PM Post #424 of 1,793
Great to see you hear again Michael. It was in part to you that I owe a debt of thanks for my audio nirvana. I went the extra mile and got the LCD2's as well!

I am now seriously considering the 71B and now your experience of the balanced operation has sealed it for me.

Hope all is well with you.

Sep 21, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #425 of 1,793
I fully appreciate the balanced sound of the SR71B and I am getting the DB2 for it. The only thing that worries me is the increased jitter which comes with one more brick. Will let the group know once I get hold of the DB2 and the interconnect cables.

Sep 21, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #426 of 1,793

Quote:
Great to see you hear again Michael. It was in part to you that I owe a debt of thanks for my audio nirvana. I went the extra mile and got the LCD2's as well!

I am now seriously considering the 71B and now your experience of the balanced operation has sealed it for me.

Hope all is well with you.

Sorry but not really they are so enjoyable!

Sep 22, 2011 at 4:06 AM Post #428 of 1,793
From all the reviews I have read the SR71B is a considerable step up over the protector, dude.

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #429 of 1,793
I am really looking forward to you guys reporting back on using the DB2 with your CLAS rigs. If it's good news I shall be pushing the button also. Man, soon enough I won't even have room for my wallet in my messanger bag. Mind you it is getting pretty thin lately so maybe it'll still fit
biggrin.gif

Sep 22, 2011 at 6:09 AM Post #430 of 1,793

I went from Protector to SR71-B and must say that it depends on what you drive with it. Driving my JH13 and Ed8 I would say that they were about even allthough there were slight differences in tonality (have no longer got the Protector and had actually sold it before receiving the SR71-B so can not comment further). Driving the HE-4 and now HE-500 the added power of the SR71-B is a clear advantage. All this is with single ended input which is all that the Protector accepts. The SR71-B only have about half the battery life of the Protector, it is wider and longer but thinner than the Protector.

Quote:
I'm only using the RSA protector with the CLAS. Does the SR71B pair better with the CLAS and IEMs?

Sep 22, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #432 of 1,793
Thinking ahead guys, have any of you come up with a neat (compact) coax cable yet? To feed from CLAS to PB2?

You're going to have to contact scootermafia @ DHC cables. He's the most f lexible with customized cables from what I've been researching. Just tell him it's a coax to coax for CLAS to PB2 DAC and he'll know what to do. :p

Sep 22, 2011 at 1:31 PM Post #434 of 1,793
I ordered my Black Dragon short coaxial cable together with the DB2->SR71B balanced cable from Moon Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back