Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Apr 26, 2012 at 11:53 PM Post #917 of 1,788
It was tight... but since I didn't add anything between the two batteries that gave me the room I needed.  Seems snug enough that nothing is going to move around in transit.  

Everything is operating perfectly.  Thanks again for sharing this simple mod.

May 8, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #918 of 1,788
Received my CLAS today.

Hooked up with my Pico Slim, and it sounds fantastic!

Does anyone know if the CLAS can be used while charging (I don't dare do it before asking)?

And also, does the Classic and Touch give much more battery life as compared to the Nano? If so, by how much more?

Thanks for answering in advance.

May 9, 2012 at 5:23 AM Post #919 of 1,788
mcee, that's an cool looking USB cable. I got a very nice low profile one from Qusp. It's interesting to see the different variants out there.

I think that I get about 7-8 hours from my Classic with the Solo. It's more than I ever need in a day. I don't know how that compares to the Nano.

Charging the Solo during use is not a problem. I don't usually do it since the Solo lasts longer than my Classic anyway.

May 9, 2012 at 2:13 PM Post #920 of 1,788
Quote:
mcee, that's an cool looking USB cable. I got a very nice low profile one from Qusp. It's interesting to see the different variants out there.

I think that I get about 7-8 hours from my Classic with the Solo. It's more than I ever need in a day. I don't know how that compares to the Nano.

Charging the Solo during use is not a problem. I don't usually do it since the Solo lasts longer than my Classic anyway.

Does the Touch give more battery life compared to the Classic?

May 9, 2012 at 8:12 PM Post #922 of 1,788
Quote:
I have no idea. Anyone?

Quote:

Does the Touch give more battery life compared to the Classic?

I like the Touch because it is more light weight and compact. But I am not really fond of getting a Touch because I already own an iPhone 4 so it is a bit of a duplicate in some ways.

I like the Classic because of obvious reasons - storage.

However, this iDevice (Touch/Classic) will be strictly for use with the CLAS as I have another Nano for other use. So I am more concerned with the battery life - if Touch gives significantly better and longer battery life as to Classic, then I might go for that route, however, if they are extremely similar on almost on par - I would consider the Classic instead because of its storage.

May 9, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #923 of 1,788
Quote:

I like the Touch because it is more light weight and compact. But I am not really fond of getting a Touch because I already own an iPhone 4 so it is a bit of a duplicate in some ways.

I like the Classic because of obvious reasons - storage.

However, this iDevice (Touch/Classic) will be strictly for use with the CLAS as I have another Nano for other use. So I am more concerned with the battery life - if Touch gives significantly better and longer battery life as to Classic, then I might go for that route, however, if they are extremely similar on almost on par - I would consider the Classic instead because of its storage.

I use the classic with my CLAS/ALO MKII or Continental combo and find the battery life is longer than with my touch. I couldn't give you numbers but the Classic definitely lasts longer.  One thing to consider with the touch is if you're listening at home on your portable unit, which I do at times, you can use the touch to stream music from services like Spotify and MOG or even from iTunes through home sharing. Obviously you can't with the classic. Of course if you already have an iPhone you can use that for the streaming. For portable use I prefer the Classic as I use lossless files and the extra storage is important.

You may also notice a difference in sound quality as well, probably due to the different storage methods. I think there's some threads on here where that's discussed. Personally I haven't done enough critical listening to determine which I like better but to my ears there's definitely a difference. In any event the touch or class with the Solo are a sweet combination.

May 13, 2012 at 5:18 PM Post #924 of 1,788
I am getting my CLAS by this month end and will be hooking it up with my Leckerton Audio UHA-4.
Anyone have any experience with this setup?
The UHA-4 is the only amp I currently own as I am just starting out collecting good equipment. I have the B & W P5 headphones, planning on getting 1964 Ears custom IEMs soon too :)
How will this rig be?
Sorry for the amateur question, have to start somewhere right...

May 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #925 of 1,788
I am getting my CLAS by this month end and will be hooking it up with my Leckerton Audio UHA-4.
Anyone have any experience with this setup?
The UHA-4 is the only amp I currently own as I am just starting out collecting good equipment. I have the B & W P5 headphones, planning on getting 1964 Ears custom IEMs soon too :)
How will this rig be?
Sorry for the amateur question, have to start somewhere right...

May 20, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #926 of 1,788
Revisiting a topic we've discussed here, previously...

I was just reading a Six Moons review of the ALO Audio Rx-MK3-B, and asking myself, "When will ALO start working on a balanced version of the Solo?"  My conjecture: Maybe never.  

I read that they have a couple of other projects already underway, and then I read this:

Quoting Ken Ball, of ALO:

"To obtain a balanced working signal, a non-inverting amplifier buffers the input signal. The output of that amplifier is inverted with a unity-gain amp. The balanced signal is then taken from the outputs of both amps which are contained within the same IC. The worst-case mismatch between inverting and non-inverting outputs is 0.02dB. Going in single-ended [as input to the balanced Rx-Mk-3-B] is thus no worse than balanced. The real advantage of the RxMk3-b is its fully balanced amplification circuit and ability to drive all headphones in balanced mode."

Ken Ball is saying that nothing is accomplished feeding his balanced amp with a balanced input vs. a single-ended input.  Thus, what incentive, other than market expectations (which should not be ignored, of course), would ALO have to pursue a version of the CLAS that offers balanced output?  

And thus, what benefit is there in putting an iBasso DB2 between a CLAS and an SR71-B, for example - other than to acquire changes to overall sound quality that have nothing to do with providing the amp with a balanced input?

And thus, what need is there to purchase a fully balanced USB DAC, like the HRT Music Streamer Pro, for use with a balanced amp, vs. a less-expensive single-ended DAC?

Mike

May 21, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #927 of 1,788
Quote:
Ken Ball is saying that nothing is accomplished feeding his balanced amp with a balanced input vs. a single-ended input.  Thus, what incentive, other than market expectations (which should not be ignored, of course), would ALO have to pursue a version of the CLAS that offers balanced output?  

And thus, what benefit is there in putting an iBasso DB2 between a CLAS and an SR71-B, for example - other than to acquire changes to overall sound quality that have nothing to do with providing the amp with a balanced input?

And thus, what need is there to purchase a fully balanced USB DAC, like the HRT Music Streamer Pro, for use with a balanced amp, vs. a less-expensive single-ended DAC?

Mike

I have long questioned the advantages of a balanced portable DAC. If it's a high-end home DAC then, sure, why not provide a balanced circuit. It keeps the line noise from DAC to amp down, and those DACs have sophisticated gain circuits anyway. But on a portable system, KISS makes sense. I don't see the need for a balanced CLAS other than the 'cool new toy' factor. (Of course, the latter is never to be underestimated.  
biggrin.gif
)

May 21, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #928 of 1,788
My CLAS is on it's way, quite curious after having read the full thread and the remarks of some that the CLAS doesn't add much. I'll be using it with a C421 mainly

May 21, 2012 at 9:07 AM Post #929 of 1,788
Quote:
I have long questioned the advantages of a balanced portable DAC. If it's a high-end home DAC then, sure, why not provide a balanced circuit. It keeps the line noise from DAC to amp down, and those DACs have sophisticated gain circuits anyway. But on a portable system, KISS makes sense. I don't see the need for a balanced CLAS other than the 'cool new toy' factor. (Of course, the latter is never to be underestimated.  
biggrin.gif
)

Thanks for your perspective.  "Why not" does make sense for a desktop system - especially if the DAC is recognized for offering some improvement in SQ.

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back