Cypher Labs AlgoRhythm Solo - Discussion and Impressions Thread
May 21, 2012 at 10:25 AM Post #933 of 1,788
It's not complete, but I've done my best to show how complete the CLAS is as a digital output device in comparison to one of the competition: the Venturecraft Go-DAP 4.0, a unit of which I am an intense fan. 

However, the CLAS outpaces it in every single digital benchmark possible and outperforms at 16-bit, a good CD player. It is 100% home-worthy. Honestly, I wasn't expecting such proximity to perfection. But, the CLAS does perform at such a level that it is silly to shoot against it. 

May 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #934 of 1,788
For me, the Touch is a bugger to use with these systems because: 

A. It is a touch screen and harder to wrap silicon elastics around.
B. It has less precise controllable area to the finger than the classic/5G when wrapped up.
C. The touch is more fun to fondle, but impossible to do so when wrapped up.
Quote:

I like the Touch because it is more light weight and compact. But I am not really fond of getting a Touch because I already own an iPhone 4 so it is a bit of a duplicate in some ways.

I like the Classic because of obvious reasons - storage.

However, this iDevice (Touch/Classic) will be strictly for use with the CLAS as I have another Nano for other use. So I am more concerned with the battery life - if Touch gives significantly better and longer battery life as to Classic, then I might go for that route, however, if they are extremely similar on almost on par - I would consider the Classic instead because of its storage.

May 21, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #935 of 1,788
It's not complete, but I've done my best to show how complete the CLAS is as a digital output device in comparison to one of the competition: the Venturecraft Go-DAP 4.0, a unit of which I am an intense fan. 

However, the CLAS outpaces it in every single digital benchmark possible and outperforms at 16-bit, a good CD player. It is 100% home-worthy. Honestly, I wasn't expecting such proximity to perfection. But, the CLAS does perform at such a level that it is silly to shoot against it. 

Another benefit of the CLAS is the impressive line out signal level. It appears to be double regular sinal strengths. Ie the Dx100 needed to be stepped up a gain level to compete gainst the CLAS.

I never expected much of the CLAS when I first bought it 9 months ago. But it impressed me. With the RX3... It is just made for each other.

May 21, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #936 of 1,788
Yes, the output level is over and above regular 'line out' strength, only because it is a proper line-level device whereas most devices don't have enough output for true line level. 

The line output is indeed impressive, but the digital output is nearly flawless.

May 22, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #937 of 1,788
I knew I had reasons to love the CLAS!  I'm a pretty big ALO fan because I have The Continental and The National too.

So I will probably need the RX3 plus a balanced cable for my LCD-2!

May 22, 2012 at 5:59 AM Post #938 of 1,788
Quote:

Interesting article!

May 22, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #939 of 1,788
I've only heard the RX3 briefly, but it is well worth the effort. I was in a noisy place and was using HD800 so I can't commend on noise, but I can comment on power, on bass, and on separation. All were exemplary. The Rx has grown up (and out) quite a big. It was plenty loud and impressive via the HD800 and should have no problem especially in balanced with any production non-electrostatic headphone.
Quote:
I knew I had reasons to love the CLAS!  I'm a pretty big ALO fan because I have The Continental and The National too.

So I will probably need the RX3 plus a balanced cable for my LCD-2!

May 23, 2012 at 5:52 AM Post #940 of 1,788
Even though I had the firestone power supply (24v) for the Triad Audio L3 for 3 weeks, I've only used it now with it and it's very good, it's going to be the benchmark to judge the RX3 along with my 15v stepdance and the AHA-120!  And oh, of course the Continental and National!

Jun 14, 2012 at 11:48 PM Post #942 of 1,788
Quote:
My CLAS has finally arrived, can't wait to get home

Please post your impressions with C421 as that's what I have right now. I once owned the CLAS but its draining the iPod's batter made me sell it in the end. But I might give it another try. 

Jun 15, 2012 at 3:43 AM Post #943 of 1,788
Quote:
Please post your impressions with C421 as that's what I have right now. I once owned the CLAS but its draining the iPod's batter made me sell it in the end. But I might give it another try. 

I found that out the hard way. Damn that ipod battery!
I really like what it does soundwise. there's so much more detail. Takes a bit of the darkness away from the C421 (opa2227) and makes everything in general clearer and more detailed. In combination with my IEMs it really cleared up the bass and improved the treble. I'm a very happy user so far.

People do keep asking me if I'm carrying a bomb though :\

Jun 17, 2012 at 4:22 AM Post #944 of 1,788
Jun 17, 2012 at 4:31 AM Post #945 of 1,788

Users who are viewing this thread

Back