CX95 + CX550 Appreciation Thread
Jun 20, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #61 of 70
Sorry Mark that the CX95 didn't work out for you. I did get kick out of your Twitter post, though! At least you have more worthy toys to play with.
wink.gif

Truth be told, as much as I enjoy my CX550, there are times I feel the treble is a bit much, and your assessment of the highs lacking "precision and clarity" are spot on. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to not be hearing much sibilance, and I still have to say for the price I paid (60 quid with two-day shipping to the US. Thanks AMP3!) they're definitely worth it to my ears. As far as I know, all canalphones/IEMs in this price range have their issues, whether it be too much/little bass, too much/little treble, or recessed/overly forward mids, and these are close to my preferences. They're certainly not perfect, but until I graduate from starving student to starving schoolteacher, the CX550 are more than capable within my budget. It's also nice that they sound very similar to my favorite earbuds, the Sennhieser MX760.

Also, since this is somewhat on-topic, though I know their reviews aren't the greatest, here is semi-confirmation that the CX95 and CX550 are indeed the same: Sennheiser CX550 review - headphone reviews and video - Stuff.tv

Jun 21, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #62 of 70
I am just wondering if the CX500 and the CX95 are the same, or that CX500 and the CX55 is the same and the CX95 is a whole level up. I don't typically use my CX500 because it has this suction/pressure feeling on my right ear. otherwise, they are a good bye for the money

Jun 21, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #63 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry Mark that the CX95 didn't work out for you. I did get kick out of your Twitter post, though! At least you have more worthy toys to play with.
wink.gif

Truth be told, as much as I enjoy my CX550, there are times I feel the treble is a bit much, and your assessment of the highs lacking "precision and clarity" are spot on. Fortunately, I'm lucky enough to not be hearing much sibilance, and I still have to say for the price I paid (60 quid with two-day shipping to the US. Thanks AMP3!) they're definitely worth it to my ears. As far as I know, all canalphones/IEMs in this price range have their issues, whether it be too much/little bass, too much/little treble, or recessed/overly forward mids, and these are close to my preferences. They're certainly not perfect, but until I graduate from starving student to starving schoolteacher, the CX550 are more than capable within my budget. It's also nice that they sound very similar to my favorite earbuds, the Sennhieser MX760.

Also, since this is somewhat on-topic, though I know their reviews aren't the greatest, here is semi-confirmation that the CX95 and CX550 are indeed the same: Sennheiser CX550 review - headphone reviews and video - Stuff.tv

lol, was that arrrrggghhh ye gods the treble comment? or words to similar effect.

tbh i know im more treble sensitive than most and they had really really nice mids and bass. just that treble was too much for me. actually the only trebly things i like are things like the er4, triples and IE8 which can all really nail things perfectly.

i really do believe unless you can do treble perfectly then tone it down and hide it, sony does this fantastically well

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #64 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol, was that arrrrggghhh ye gods the treble comment? or words to similar effect.

tbh i know im more treble sensitive than most and they had really really nice mids and bass. just that treble was too much for me. actually the only trebly things i like are things like the er4, triples and IE8 which can all really nail things perfectly.

i really do believe unless you can do treble perfectly then tone it down and hide it, sony does this fantastically well

Potential thread hijack here, so apologies in advance. How do you find the Triple fi. 10's overall? Is there a particular style of music that you prefer to listen to using these phones?

Jun 21, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #65 of 70
i find them rather dry, the bass is punchy and never really feels like its can hold a low deep note. the treble is super duper freakishly sharp to the point it sounds artificial. for some stuff that works great, particularly reliant K stuff if you know them. so i guess id say pop rock, but for me its more about what voices pair well with it. they are a bit recessed but sound great with the icon driving them. things with more liquid sounding voices i feel dont really go so well with the triples

actually not a terribly dissimilar sound signature to the cx95/cx550 just with vastly better treble control

Jun 21, 2009 at 10:23 AM Post #66 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i find them rather dry, the bass is punchy and never really feels like its can hold a low deep note. the treble is super duper freakishly sharp to the point it sounds artificial. for some stuff that works great, particularly reliant K stuff if you know them. so i guess id say pop rock, but for me its more about what voices pair well with it. they are a bit recessed but sound great with the icon driving them. things with more liquid sounding voices i feel dont really go so well with the triples

actually not a terribly dissimilar sound signature to the cx95/cx550 just with vastly better treble control

Thanks for that. I listen mainly to contemporary acoustic and to a lesser extent, electric instrumental jazz; not a lot of vocal stuff in my choices. Although I do listen to "alt-country", which again is acoustic instrumentation with vocals, and of course, the funk. I'm hoping that the SE530's should at least live up to their reputation as a phone that renders jazz well.

Jan 1, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #67 of 70
Hmmm, these seem like the perfect earphones for me. I had the CX300 for over a year now, and the wire has given in so it basically doesn't split the two ear pieces (not very practical!) Anyway, I've being doing a lot of research for my next purchase and went for the Klipsch Image S4. which is a huge upgrade. Whilst they did sound good, they were the most uncomfortable things I've ever stuck in my ears despite all the reviews saying the complete opposite. Anyway, I've got them here and will be returning them tomorrow to amazon.

I can't believe I missed these Sennheiser CX550! Trust me, the CX300 are so comfortable and practical - the CX550 seem to have exactly the same design as them. The right earbud wire is designed to wrap around your neck, hence the cable is longer than the left. So you can basically take both earphones out and they will dangle down the front of your chest.

These seems to be getting great reviews and are in my price range. Will be getting them of play.com for £39.99 (not external seller, direct from play.com)

Play.com (UK) : Sennheiser CX 550 Style II Headphones : Electronics - Free Delivery

Jan 8, 2010 at 6:12 PM Post #68 of 70
How do the CX550's compare to the CX500's? My partner has the CX500's but I find the treble on them to be artificial, almost metallic. I also don't find them to be particularly transparent.

Thanks

Feb 10, 2011 at 2:11 PM Post #69 of 70
Overall, what tips would recommend for the CX95? I have used double flange from the IE8 and the standard single flange, but would comply tips be a better option? Weirdly, I found the IE8 double flange to emphasize the sibilance and the single flange to be more pleasant to listen with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back