CX95 + CX550 Appreciation Thread
May 11, 2009 at 5:38 PM Post #16 of 70
Sibilant? That is strange as out of the box mine were the opposite , the bass was a little boomy and overpowered the mids/highs a bit.
They do change with burn in though.
This isn't a huff post because of my 'apple iem not underated' thread is it?

May 11, 2009 at 5:40 PM Post #17 of 70
tstarn06,

I too hear the sibilance when using the stock single flange tips with my CX550 (the new CX95). Having read extensive reviews on the CX95 and their sibilance issues, I completely bypassed the stock tips in favor of those eBay bi-flanges when I took them out of the box. In all honesty, the tips that Sennheiser packs with the CX550 (which also includes the harder bi-flanges that also come with the IE series) are rubbish to my ears. The eBay bi-flanges reduce almost all of the sibilance, and really open up the sound, especially the soundstage and treble clarity.

Of course, this post probably doesn't help since I already have around 25 or so hours on my pair, so I couldn't tell you whether the sibilance is greatly reduced with burn-in.

astroid,

Some people are sensitive to sibilance. Personally, I don't hear much sibilance at all with the bi-flanges, so different tips could make the difference.

May 11, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #18 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And discovered another issue, they do not work with the Touch 2G, due to the plug, both on the CX95 and in the cable extender. I have an adapter, but it still kinda sucks. The plug won't go in all the way.

I don't understand. Mine worked with the Touch 2G, the plug went in completely. Strange...

astroid, I used the IE8 foam tips with mine because the regular silicons made them sound a bit too thin for my liking. But I never heard sibilance thank goodness
smily_headphones1.gif

May 11, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #20 of 70
Sibilance isn't always produced by the earphones, the new eminem album has a track on it that was annoying me with very hissy cymbals, tried it on my hifi and guess what , they are hissy!

May 11, 2009 at 5:51 PM Post #21 of 70
I only own the CX550, so I'm not entirely sure, but my impressions seem to be in line with the reviews of the CX95. I find the Senns to be very balanced with ever-so-slightly recessed midrange (when looking at the big picture). I do notice the sibilance issue when using stock single-flange tips (which I have seen noted in the CX95s in only one Japanese review), but I don't hear any when using the eBay bi-flanges.

In short: It's highly likely that the CX95 and 550 are one in the same, except the color variation and difference in accessories.

May 11, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #22 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjk1281 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I only own the CX550, so I'm not entirely sure, but my impressions seem to be in line with the reviews of the CX95. I find the Senns to be very balanced with ever-so-slightly recessed midrange (when looking at the big picture). I do notice the sibilance issue when using stock single-flange tips (which I have seen noted in the CX95s in only one Japanese review), but I don't hear any when using the eBay bi-flanges.

In short: It's highly likely that the CX95 and 550 are one in the same, except the color variation and difference in accessories.

Oh right, since I have only heard the CX500's and they are bassy. When my friends ask for which headphones to buy, I only tend to recommend that since they love bass.
tongue.gif

May 11, 2009 at 6:19 PM Post #23 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sibilance isn't always produced by the earphones, the new eminem album has a track on it that was annoying me with very hissy cymbals, tried it on my hifi and guess what , they are hissy!

No it isn't. But some earphones can exaggerate existing sibilance to the point of distraction. I tend to check suspect tracks on my main system, and normally find that there is an element of sibilance there if really I listen out for it, but it's also completely tolerable. Can't say the same for how some of my earphones have presented the same tracks, but then my speakers are at least 8 feet away from me, so I'm not getting sibilance directlly injected into my ears, and that makes a difference to perception too. It certainly does for me anyway. Sibilance from a distance is more tolerable!

May 11, 2009 at 7:04 PM Post #24 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sibilant? That is strange as out of the box mine were the opposite , the bass was a little boomy and overpowered the mids/highs a bit.
They do change with burn in though.
This isn't a huff post because of my 'apple iem not underated' thread is it?

No, I just wanted to try them because you really like them and I wanted to hear them for myself. Honest, with those tips, they were almost unlistenable, and that was with the Zune, which is not a harsh-sounded DAP at all. It was just grating. But as I noted, the foamies calmed them down pronto, and I liked what I heard. So now I am going to let them play for a day or two, and see what happens. Very comfy though, nice form, iso, etc.

I think my friend, who has CX300s now, will enjoy them, but I have to give him some T400s too.

May 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #25 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand. Mine worked with the Touch 2G, the plug went in completely. Strange...

astroid, I used the IE8 foam tips with mine because the regular silicons made them sound a bit too thin for my liking. But I never heard sibilance thank goodness
smily_headphones1.gif

My bad. The plug doesn't look like it goes in all the way, but the sound is working fine. I was just judging by the way it looked at first.

As for the sibilance, every one of the 2-3 songs I tried out just sounded harsh, and I always use the same test tracks for sibilance. It was bad, but I am quite sure it was the tips and the way they reacted with my ears, because with the T400s, it's not an issue. Can't explain it, I can just report it. In my case, it wasn't thin, it was the kind of high-pitched sound that can only be described as sibliance. But, with the foamies, I think my friend is gonna be very happy with his impending upgrade. However, I am gonna let them burn in for at least 24 hours before I listen again.

May 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #26 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, I just wanted to try them because you really like them and I wanted to hear them for myself. Honest, with those tips, they were almost unlistenable, and that was with the Zune, which is not a harsh-sounded DAP at all. It was just grating. But as I noted, the foamies calmed them down pronto, and I liked what I heard. So now I am going to let them play for a day or two, and see what happens. Very comfy though, nice form, iso, etc.

I think my friend, who has CX300s now, will enjoy them, but I have to give him some T400s too.

Well I hope they work out for you, I love mine but I have that itch and I think e4p may be next.

May 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #27 of 70
Quite a departure. I owned them once upon a time, and also invested in the S Cable. I liked them (and their detail is quite amazing), but found them a bit too painful in terms of comfort, for long-term use. Just could never get the right tip combo. Also, even with the P model, I found I needed the bass boost of an amp, so I sold them for the Atrio M5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back