CX95 + CX550 Appreciation Thread
May 29, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #32 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ooooh that would be fab, however im not in ed right now. was a family death the other day so currently at the parental units in stirling. ill pm you my email and can converse that way and ill let you know when im back.

Ok, tip = try Sony tips with the CX95 , opens the soundstage even more and are much more comfy.

May 29, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #34 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkingman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hei Astroid, are there any visible physical difference between the two (apart from colour)? I know that the CX 95 are metal (feels like one anyway), how about the CX 550?

Postman aint been yet so i dont know, the CX95 are ALL plastic (except the metal ring), i know because i scraped the 'champagne' coloured bit by mistake and its plastic underneath the paint, the same part of the CX550 is aluminium.

May 30, 2009 at 1:44 AM Post #35 of 70
This thread really does demonstrate just how subjective impressions of phones can be. I've had my CX95s for a few months. I listen to them for hours at work unamped out of my 2nd gen. 32 GB Ipod Touch. The plug goes all the way into the socket without any problem. I have not experienced a hint of sibilance. I would describe this phone as quite balanced but lacking some treble sparkle. I do not regard the phone as bassy. I think it does bass rather well and I am not a bass-head. I find this phone a non-fatiguing listen. I also wonder why anyone would consider wearing the cable over the ear when the phone is clearly designed to be worn cable down.

May 30, 2009 at 2:58 AM Post #36 of 70
Yeah, no doubt. I tried them today again, with the stock medium tips, and their highs sound a little harsh in spots. Just not a sound sig I appreciate I guess. I am going to give them to a good friend who thinks the CX300s are great. He will be happy. Meantime, I found a new dynamic phone in the same price range, the VSonic R02 Pro II, that I favor much more. I got a pair for review, and didn't like them much out of the box, but with 3 days of burn in and some new tips (Sony hybrids) they sound much as you describe the CX95s. Have to get the review posted.

Oh, the plug does go all the way into the socket on my Touch 2G too. That was my bad and I quickly fixed it. So we do agree on that point.

May 30, 2009 at 2:54 PM Post #37 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by astroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok i have just bought some CX550 to compare to my CX95, i was just too curious!
Review to follow.

Awesome! Can't wait for your comparison. Just don't say that the CX550s are inferior, or you'll force me to purchase some CX95s on eBay!
wink.gif

Quote:

Postman aint been yet so i dont know, the CX95 are ALL plastic (except the metal ring), i know because i scraped the 'champagne' coloured bit by mistake and its plastic underneath the paint, the same part of the CX550 is aluminium.

That's very interesting. I wonder if the difference in housing material may effect the sound in any way. I must say that the aluminum housing of the CX550 is quite nice.

Also, even though I'm beating on a dead horse, I have to state that tips make a HUGE difference in the sound of my CX550s. The stock silicons make the sound too bassy and sharp on the upper mids and treble, perhaps similar to what tstarn06 was hearing. But the eBay bi-flanges bring the mids slightly forward, bass is almost perfect, and the treble is nicely detailed with almost no sibilance but slightly rolled off, similar to iponderous' impressions. In fact, in my limited experience, I have never tried any canalphones or IEMs that are as picky with tips as these.

May 30, 2009 at 4:59 PM Post #38 of 70
got them this morning, the build quality is slightly better , the jack on the earphone end (not the extension) is smaller , I guess sennheiser has listened to complaints on the weight.
The case is really nice, much better than the cx95 one.
The extra bi flange tips are a very fit for me.
Initial listen, the cx550 is slightly louder, it needs burnt in as the bass is very heavy at the moment.
More pics and impressions tomorrow.

Jun 2, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #39 of 70
Ok, the cx550 have had around 70 hrs now, i really thought these would be the same.
They are not.
The sound could be described as similar, the CX95 has a larger soundstage, not just a little either.
On Scott Walkers 'no regrets' the acoustic guitars at the beginning are way out to the left and right on the CX95s , the CX550 reign them in by around a couple of meters.
The CX550s at the moment seem to be a little less dynamic as well , flatter with smoother peaks.
This may be due to the CX95s having 400+ hrs on them but i suspect the build difference is responsible, the cx550s have a metal back and the plastic is harder as well.
The tiny gap between the body of the bud and the metal ring at the end is smaller on the cx550 as well , if this behaves like a port then it may explain the subtle differences in tone (i have used the same tips on both for testing)
On a positive note the dual flange tips are a great fit and the build quality of the CX550 is better.
I will update in a week but so far i prefer the CX95s.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #40 of 70
Very interesting comparison astroid. I'll add some of my own comments below.

Quote:

The sound could be described as similar, the CX95 has a larger soundstage, not just a little either.
On Scott Walkers 'no regrets' the acoustic guitars at the beginning are way out to the left and right on the CX95s , the CX550 reign them in by around a couple of meters.

I find this observation particularly interesting. For the first thirty or so hours, I found the soundstage to be disjointed, too far to the left and right. Now as I listen, I find the soundstage to be very cohesive, but still plenty wide, at least slightly larger than the RE2.

Quote:

The CX550s at the moment seem to be a little less dynamic as well , flatter with smoother peaks.
This may be due to the CX95s having 400+ hrs on them but i suspect the build difference is responsible, the cx550s have a metal back and the plastic is harder as well.

The lack of abrupt peaks and valleys in the frequency response is something I saw written in a review of the CX95s. Ultimately, it was that comment among others that led me to my purchase of the CX550 (when I assumed they were one and the same). To me, this gives the Senns a very non-fatiguing listen, letting me enjoy the music instead of hyper-analyzing the faults of the earphone.

Quote:

The tiny gap between the body of the bud and the metal ring at the end is smaller on the cx550 as well , if this behaves like a port then it may explain the subtle differences in tone (i have used the same tips on both for testing)

This is somewhat off-topic, but have you noticed the gap being larger on the right than the left? I always thought this was somewhat strange, but I assume this doesn't affect the sound too much. I wonder if it's just a way of determining left from right during the manufacturing process.

Quote:

On a positive note the dual flange tips are a great fit and the build quality of the CX550 is better.
I will update in a week but so far i prefer the CX95s.

Just a quick question: Did you use the same tips on both Senns when testing? I'm sure you did, but just checking.
redface.gif

Well, I must say I'm confused. Either way it doesn't matter to me, since I'm completely content with my CX550 / RE2 combo, at least to the point that any IEM / canalphone I purchase from here on out will merely be out of curiosity and not because I "need" something better.
icon10.gif

Please don't quote me!

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:27 PM Post #41 of 70
I have noticed something, i used the same buds (large single) but i used the ones that came with each earphone and NOT the same ones on each. The CX95 large single buds are slightly thicker and may have caused some of the differences i noticed, i am retesting tonight.
The gaps on the cx550 are the same size on each side on mine.
I am going to run the CX550 for a few weeks then give the loser to my wife.

Jun 2, 2009 at 3:35 PM Post #42 of 70
I do remember seeing comments about the CX95 tips being different than other CX*** tips. The CX550's tips appear to be the same other CX series tips, so that could make a difference.

RE: venting gaps - hopefully my pair is within manufacturing tolerances. I really don't want to send my pair back to Scotland and wait weeks for a replacement. That would be torture!
frown.gif

Jun 3, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #43 of 70
I tested last night and there is still a difference, the soundstage of the CX550 is slightly smaller and at the moment they are a little more sibilant (i am sure this may change with burn in).

i am going to put these up for trade here , i am looking for a set of headphones.

Jun 3, 2009 at 10:16 AM Post #45 of 70
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
id say keep burning in and see if they tend towards each other.

Mark, what are the C-Jays like? anything like KSC75/portapro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back