CX300 replacements for £60
Sep 27, 2010 at 7:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

eriatarka1

New Head-Fier
Hello! I've been a short-term onlooker at head-fi but only now do I feel I could do with personally asking a question.

I would like to buy a set of headphones/earphones to replace my Sennheiser CX300 which finally gave up the ghost on me at the weekend. They had been worsening for a while and so (on the recommendation of plenty of head-fi members, and joker's IEM thread) I decided to pick up some Meelec M9s.

Despite the fact that the sound was definitely better in the M9s (you can't even hear the bass synth whoosh here with the CX300s - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qURHjSxeiY) I simply couldn't get a fit for more than 30 seconds at a time, which is utterly useless; I passed them on to my brother and stuck with the failing CX300s.

I would really like something which could clearly improve on the CX300s. I generally listen to rock/metal (modern not classic), but have an interest in most modern innovative music, so it needs to be capable for most genres. I don't listen to pre-20th century classical, mainstream pop or female vocalists.

My sources will be a laptop and a 6G iPod Classic 80Gb, but I'm fairly sure that I will end up buying a Fiio E5 to bypass the headphone jack (or an E7 to avoid my laptop's hiss/soundcard as well) - as a student I simply don't have the budget for anything better.

I've trialled a few sets (from my iPod, admittedly, with V2 VBR), but they had obvious flaws:

Grado SR60i - not enough bass extension or impact, and the treble was very harsh (I know that's probably not the right term but it describes how it felt to me)

Goldring NS1000 - boomy bass (even with Bass Reducer on) which made complex rock (Mars Volta) sound all blurred.

The headphone characteristics I'm after are very good instrument separation and speed for complex rock (I think I mean "airiness" but I'm not quite sure), and good bass extension for electronica. I'm not fussed about form factor (ie IEM/headphone) because I realise that with my budget I probably can't be too fussed.

Sorry that's such a lengthy first post but from hanging around I've seen that the key to getting a good answer is to provide details.

Cheers!

Sep 28, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 10
C751 would seem to be a pretty good deal at that price. I'd consider the ViSang R02/R03 and Xears TD100-II as well but be wary of IEM fitting if you had trouble with the M9s. 

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 10
Yeah, the M9s kinda put me off IEMs a bit, but I guess with a tight budget there's little I can do - unless you guys can think of any portable headphones that might do the job at that price?

The C751 definitely looks like a good deal though, and since I'm not too keen on the sound signature of the Senns I reckon I'll rule out the IE6.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #5 of 10
You have more options than you may think for £60
smily_headphones1.gif

My friend picked up a pair of Klipsch S4's. I had a brief audition with them and they sounded very nice. Plenty of bass, but solid enough not to feel like it was dragging along.

I've opted for a pair of Fischer Audio Silver Bullets - ClieOS reviewed them here  They may be worth considering too!

Please let us know which ones you decide to go for!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 28, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #6 of 10
Sorry to skip back a reply, but I just had a look at the Xears TD100-II, and, well, wow!

They seem to be going for £28 inc P&P - and if they're good enough to consider at £60 then I assume they're a shoo-in at £28, and obviously it would be better not to strain my finances too much.

I can't find that much about them (apart from your review, joker), but the main negatives noted there (j-cord and poor stock tips) are no issue for me - I've got a plentiful set of tips left over from the M9 and can easily get some spares off a friend if needs be, and I actually prefer the j-cord and wearing them straight down. Plus which the sound signature you describe sounds pretty much perfect - fun done right.

Anything else I ought to know before I go for the Xears? Anything better for the price?

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
Sorry to skip back a reply, but I just had a look at the Xears TD100-II, and, well, wow!

They seem to be going for £28 inc P&P - and if they're good enough to consider at £60 then I assume they're a shoo-in at £28, and obviously it would be better not to strain my finances too much.

I can't find that much about them (apart from your review, joker), but the main negatives noted there (j-cord and poor stock tips) are no issue for me - I've got a plentiful set of tips left over from the M9 and can easily get some spares off a friend if needs be, and I actually prefer the j-cord and wearing them straight down. Plus which the sound signature you describe sounds pretty much perfect - fun done right.

Anything else I ought to know before I go for the Xears? Anything better for the price?

Actually the TD100-II comes with a regular y-cord in place of the j-cord. I guess Xears listened to all of the complaints. You should be able to find more impressions of the TD100 in the long Playaz thread (you can use the search function to look for 'TD100' inside the thread).

Sep 30, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Nice find! Where did you see them for £28, may I ask?

Simply on the website playaz-audio.com - they do seem to have gone up to 38€ though (including worldwide packaging), but that's still only £33.

EDIT: Looks like Mark posted while I was posting - and at that price I just had to go for the Denons. Pair of C751s coming my way soon! I might have a look at the Xears at some other point though, they look like they have potential.

Thanks to all of you for your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back