CX300 Burn-in?
Sep 22, 2008 at 5:24 AM Post #3 of 30
I'm one of those that ended up with a pair of Cx-300's for $10.00 after an already received sennheiser rebate, so imagine how surprised I was with the sound and especially the bass. The problem is I've came to the conclusion that I like bass and my UE superfi 5 pro's are now lacking in that and that's with the comply foams. It just seems the cx-300's are such a perfect fit for my ears whereas the UE's really don't seal as much as I'd like and I keep fidgeting with them to get the right sound. I've just gone out of my way to spend $45.00 on the Cx-400's, just to compare them with the cx-300's. What does this have to do with the burn-in question. Not a whole hell of a lot. Just trying to get other people's thoughts on what they think of something so inexpensive when they compare it to something that costs a lot more.

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 30
More opinions on the CX300 burn-in?

Before I got these I found a really big (and old) thread about the CX300 and seem to recall people saying that they changed after burn-in etc....

Surely a few people must have experience with the CX300?

Sep 23, 2008 at 12:45 PM Post #5 of 30
If there is burn in, it is slight. I think mostly it is a matter of getting used to them over a period of a week or so. I have a pair that are 2 years old and still going strong, but I treat them well.

Mar 24, 2009 at 12:47 PM Post #7 of 30
Just got some CX300s delivered from Amazon and I'm really disapointed to the extent that I'm convinced they're fakes. Every guide I can find online that shows what to look for when checking for fake versions says mine are real but the bass is so flat they don't even sound as good as the buds that came with my iphone.

I've had to set my iphone eq to bass boost and although my music is much clearer the sound is really lacking in any bass. Certain songs like N.E.R.D's Lap Dance and Breathe by The Prodigy used to have at least 3x the punch. It sounds like i'm listening to a cheapy Alba stereo.

Can anyone offer any hope, will a bit of a break in make any difference?

Ascii

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #8 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by AsciiSmoke /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just got some CX300s delivered from Amazon and I'm really disapointed to the extent that I'm convinced they're fakes. Every guide I can find online that shows what to look for when checking for fake versions says mine are real but the bass is so flat they don't even sound as good as the buds that came with my iphone.

I've had to set my iphone eq to bass boost and although my music is much clearer the sound is really lacking in any bass. Certain songs like N.E.R.D's Lap Dance and Breathe by The Prodigy used to have at least 3x the punch. It sounds like i'm listening to a cheapy Alba stereo.

Can anyone offer any hope, will a bit of a break in make any difference?

Ascii

Just sounds like you aren't getting a good seal. Did you try using the different tips that came with them?

As for burn in I did not notice a big difference in sound other than maybe a reduction in sibilance than from out of box. But that may differ for many people. And of course this could all be attributed to placebo as well.

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #10 of 30
I'm using the smallest bud size. I'll try switching to the medium ones again. I find the small ones fit neatly in my ear without having to press particularily hard but the medium ones needed a fair ol' push to get them in. Didn't want to end up with ear-ache.

Ascii

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:26 PM Post #11 of 30
AsciiSmoke
ive had my Cx300 for almost 3 years now, superb earphones for their price range.

it took me a couple of days to get used to putting them in right. not sure if my ears changed to fit the silicone tips or the tips changed to suit my ears
confused_face.gif
but once you get a sealed fit the bass is very strong.

i still find the best way for me is to to put the bud in my ear with the wire at the 3 o'clock position and then turn the wire down to the 6 o'clock position. the slight turn givse a great seal. if you i push them in i never get the right seal

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 30
Give'em sometime. My CX500 took about 2 weeks of average listening before they got really good at both high, low and mids. Believe me CX series get better as they go..

And..yeah, try'n find the right apllicators for your ears. If you can not place them right way in to your ears, they will sound thin and microphonic.

Mar 24, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #13 of 30
Thanks guys,

I've put the medium size tips on and the bass is better but still only just on a par with the crappy apple originals.

I'm gonna go out for a walk for my lunch and see how I get on with them where I can get the volume up without having colleagues trying to talk to me.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Ascii

Mar 24, 2009 at 2:50 PM Post #14 of 30
I'm Back,

1 hour and 2 miles of stomping later and I can confirm that at higher volume the sound is crisp and fairly well rounded. Still a little missing off the bottom but I just got through the whole of The Prodigy's 'Fat of the Land' and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for your input guys I don't feel like I wasted my money now.

Ascii

Mar 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM Post #15 of 30
Just wait till they set-in. You'll feel the difference on especially the low end(Bass).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back