CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Oct 8, 2022 at 5:59 PM Post #2,041 of 2,437
Which output are you using and which server / player software? I know what I prefer with the K50 but I just wondered what you think.
I have thus far only had success getting my PGGB’d files to play over USB. I am eager to try I2S but in my first attempt I could only play as high as 192 via Squeeze. I will try again at some point.

It’s not going to be a fair fight as I have no cables as good as the Omega USB to use with the reclocker. At present I have a Nordost Blue Heaven HDMI connected to serve as the I2S cable. I think I may revisit this tonight.

My DAC allows one to switch between its internal clock and an external reference clock using an option in the menu. My REF10 SE120 makes an important contribution when using USB. With I2S via the reclocker I found the sound to me more natural when I flipped the DAC back to using its internal clock. I’m guessing that a reference clock adds jitter when using a synchronous input.

Oct 8, 2022 at 11:49 PM Post #2,042 of 2,437
I must say that I2S out of the K50 sounds awfully good - even though a modest HDMI cable like the Nordost Blue Heaven.
I am eager to try I2S but in my first attempt I could only play as high as 192 via Squeeze. I will try again at some point.
I was able to get I2S to go up to as far as 384K. It seems I had misremember the specs for the K50, as that's the max PCM rate over I2S.

I will process some files at 8FS and use those to do some comparisons.

Oct 9, 2022 at 5:48 PM Post #2,043 of 2,437
Which output are you using and which server / player software? I know what I prefer with the K50 but I just wondered what you think.
As I suspected, the disparity in the quality of my digital cables tilted things in favor of my better cable. I describe round one at this link.

Oct 11, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #2,045 of 2,437
Im holding tight, you can pry my dx3 from my cold dead hands

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #2,046 of 2,437
The Oladra has been delivered.
Installed on my headphone system....wish had I hadn't, as it is final destination is on the speaker system but heck it needs burning in...or so I thought !
Cold system OMG
Hang on to your wallets.
Congrats on the new toy. What streamer/server did the Oladra replace? What sonic differences are you hearing?

Oct 11, 2022 at 2:52 PM Post #2,047 of 2,437
Early days.
Compared to the K50 a different playing field.
Just think what you what in music, detailed, no fatigue, great mid range, textured bass.
Just so well balanced been listening for now 3 hours from new and still going strong.
Also just added a AfterDark S100..... more to follow....

Oct 12, 2022 at 1:59 AM Post #2,049 of 2,437
Oct 15, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #2,051 of 2,437
Oct 15, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #2,052 of 2,437
Keen to hear more about this
I will be posting about this in detail as now fully burnt in. For the time being this switch fully loaded, gives immense separation between instruments, the timing is improved and makes your existing system sound smeared by comparison. I cannot unhear what this has to done in terms of SQ and this is with the supplied SMPS, A further improvement with a Sean Jacobes DC1.
The AfterDark is a no brainer as has fiber built in and the option of an external power supply.
Nice review, I have only listened via a Wave cable as this was my preferred sound with the K50. Most of the review I agree with (I have yet to try the USB output).

Congrats! Can't wait to hear your take on the Oladra

Same here!
I had hoped to put the Oladra into my speaker system this weekend but I forgot my XLR cables (as these were being used in my headphone system and a preamp vs new amp comparison and needed like for like cables).
To say I was disappointed is the understatement, the Oldara is just looking at me saying please play me.
But it did give me a chance to check my grounding system and make some alterations.
So next weekend I will give the K50 a warmup along with the AfterDark switch, listen in the morning then introduce the Oladra in the afternoon.
I will also try the Oladra with and without the AfterDark to see how good the Oldara is on a noisy network.
More to follow.....

PS The dealer and or Antipodes have yet to come back to me about how to system ground the Oladra.

Oct 15, 2022 at 5:41 AM Post #2,053 of 2,437
I’m still gripping my wallet tightly

Oct 15, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #2,054 of 2,437
For the time being this switch fully loaded, gives immense separation between instruments, the timing is improved and makes your existing system sound smeared by comparison. I cannot unhear what this has to done in terms of SQ and this is with the supplied SMPS, A further improvement with a Sean Jacobes DC1.
The AfterDark is a no brainer as has fiber built in and the option of an external power supply.
Thanks for sharing your insights. How do the improvements compare when playing from local storage relative to streaming across the switch?

Oct 16, 2022 at 4:33 AM Post #2,055 of 2,437
Thanks for sharing your insights. How do the improvements compare when playing from local storage relative to streaming across the switch?
Good question.

With the AfterDark network switch connected both the local storage and streaming play better, period. I put this down to the fiber isolation and external power supply of the AfterDark.

Now the burning question does streamed music play the same as locally stored files?

My best guesstimate is that the streaming music could be better as the AfterDark has an expensive clock which re-clocks the stream which in essence less work for the player as it has a better-timed stream. It could be that with the same file plays better streamed than locally!

I will have to do some listening next week if I get time.

1. Try the same file played locally with the AfterDark connected and disconnected from the server.
2. Purchase an album on Qubuz, compare the streamed version with the same album purchased form Qubuz and played locally both through the Antipodes.

Anyone.

Any suggestion on the album to purchase perhaps with various artists, different genre?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back