CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Oct 16, 2022 at 6:44 PM Post #2,056 of 2,472
I will have to do some listening next week if I get time.

1. Try the same file played locally with the AfterDark connected and disconnected from the server.
2. Purchase an album on Qubuz, compare the streamed version with the same album purchased form Qubuz and played locally both through the Antipodes.
This would be very interesting indeed. I’ve done something similar a few times in the past. I took it one step further with #2 in that I also placed the same file on my NAS. What I recall was the EtherRegen closing the gap between NAS and Qobuz but local still sounding best. That was several years ago.

More recently surprised me was hearing a noticeable uptick to music stored locally just by switching the ER to use of an external clock. I would have thought this would have provided benefit only to music passing through the switch, but that wasn’t the case and it surprised me. I have a feeling you will observe something similar.

Oct 17, 2022 at 12:08 PM Post #2,057 of 2,472
More recently surprised me was hearing a noticeable uptick to music stored locally just by switching the ER to use of an external clock. I would have thought this would have provided benefit only to music passing through the switch, but that wasn’t the case and it surprised me. I have a feeling you will observe something similar.
Yes, indeed.
I "Thought" I heard an uplift in SQ with local files as well, even though they technically do not go through the AfterDark.
Which is why I need to do some listening.
I found this phenomenon disturbing as there seems to be no reason why it should happen?
I am glad you had a similar experience.

Oct 17, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #2,058 of 2,472
I "Thought" I heard an uplift in SQ with local files as well, even though they technically do not go through the AfterDark.
Which is why I need to do some listening.
I found this phenomenon disturbing as there seems to be no reason why it should happen?
It seems better switches reduce incoming noise and that benefits playback regardless of where the music file is stored.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #2,059 of 2,472
I upgraded my fibre convertor from 10Gtek to Sonore Optical Module. No change in sound for me. I use my homemade cat5e cables from there to the K30 and from K30 to EX (direct stream for PGGB) so no ground loops possible. I’ve always felt my system was noise free so I wasn’t expecting much. The rest of my house uses Netgear unmanaged switches and velop mesh wifi nodes. I would expect the audiophile switches to aid those with noise or ground loops.

Oct 17, 2022 at 3:53 PM Post #2,060 of 2,472
Netgear unmanaged switches and audioquest rj Diamond Ethernet cables for me. No noise I can tell. Rogers ignite router new, pretty good wifi, with a pod.

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:13 PM Post #2,061 of 2,472
I just updated to AMS 4.0 and it bricked my K50. I can't even play music anymore. Do not update right now.

Antipodes is pissing me the fukc off. This K50 has been trouble since I've bought it, with random crashes that nobody can seem to fix. I have a meeting with them tomorrow, we shall see if they can fix these problems.

Edit: I got the K50 to play music again, but the new software is extremely slow. Like extremely slow. It's not my internet either (I did a speed test). It's like 10 times slower than AMS 3.x. This sh!t is like in a beta stage

Edit 2: There is no way to add music files to the server because that option is broken. Super big fail on Antipodes part :deadhorse:

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2022 at 10:34 PM Post #2,062 of 2,472
I just updated to AMS 4.0 and it bricked my K50. I can't even play music anymore. Do not update right now.

Antipodes is pissing me the fukc off. This K50 has been trouble since I've bought it, with random crashes that nobody can seem to fix. I have a meeting with them tomorrow, we shall see if they can fix these problems.

Edit: I got the K50 to play music again, but the new software is extremely slow. Like extremely slow. It's not my internet either (I did a speed test). It's like 10 times slower than AMS 3.x. This sh!t is like in a beta stage
Sorry to hear that. Let’s hope they can fix it. After I installed AMS4 I couldn’t connect to my K30 but I could to my EX. I made an appointment and went out to get the mail. I came back in about an hour and everything was fine and has continued to be. I was able to cancel the appointment. Maybe you have some flakey ram?

Oct 19, 2022 at 10:39 PM Post #2,063 of 2,472
Sorry to hear that. Let’s hope they can fix it. After I installed AMS4 I couldn’t connect to my K30 but I could to my EX. I made an appointment and went out to get the mail. I came back in about an hour and everything was fine and has continued to be. I was able to cancel the appointment. Maybe you have some flakey ram?
Thanks. I'm not sure. It is possible. All I know is I was listening to music and using my K50 and AMS3.x just fine, was prompted to upgrade to AMS4 and now everything is broken. I'm just going to ignore this problem until tomorrow. I know Antipodes is going to say it's my internet or router that is causing these problems. My response is going to be why did AMS 3 work then?

Software aside, I think my CPU is overheating and that's why roon crashes when I look at too many albums or edit too much metadata. I brought this up with Antipodes in the past, and they just told me my internet was too slow. :deadhorse:. I have faster internet now, and the same problems are occurring. Maybe they will be more helpful tomorrow.

Oct 19, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #2,064 of 2,472
Thanks. I'm not sure. It is possible. All I know is I was listening to music and using my K50 and AMS3.x just fine, was prompted to upgrade to AMS4 and now everything is broken. I'm just going to ignore this problem until tomorrow. I know Antipodes is going to say it's my internet or router that is causing these problems. My response is going to be why did AMS 3 work then?

Software aside, I think my CPU is overheating and that's why roon crashes when I look at too many albums or edit too much metadata. I brought this up with Antipodes in the past, and they just told me my internet was too slow. :deadhorse:. I have faster internet now, and the same problems are occurring. Maybe they will be more helpful tomorrow.
Just because you can connect to the internet doesnt make your network awesome, just saying.

Oct 20, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #2,065 of 2,472
Just because you can connect to the internet doesnt make your network awesome, just saying.
That’s fair. I dunno why it worked fine with AMS3 and now it won’t with AMS4 though

Oct 20, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #2,066 of 2,472
That’s fair. I dunno why it worked fine with AMS3 and now it won’t with AMS4 though
Hope you updated the player first with hard reboot then server, otherwise you may need a new install.
If using Roon select different core, turn off audio analyzation etc as this uses a lot of CPU recourses.
You may have two DHCP devices on your network if so, the player will not see server or if it does its luck of the draw.
Just disable one and give it a static ip address and reserve the same ip address in the only device that has the DHCP enabled.
Hope that helps.
Let us know how you get on

Oct 20, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #2,067 of 2,472
Yikes, thx for the warnings, sorry to hear, I’m sure they’ll fix/replace/service whatever but it’s a hassle.

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:25 AM Post #2,068 of 2,472
Hope you updated the player first with hard reboot then server, otherwise you may need a new install.
If using Roon select different core, turn off audio analyzation etc as this uses a lot of CPU recourses.
You may have two DHCP devices on your network if so, the player will not see server or if it does its luck of the draw.
Just disable one and give it a static ip address and reserve the same ip address in the only device that has the DHCP enabled.
Hope that helps.
Let us know how you get on
I updated both before the hard reboot. That is probably what led to my loss of communication. Luckily it resolved itself although I did reboot modem, router media convertor etc etc.

It will be interesting to see if AMS4 makes it easier for new users. I do like the presets feature but it needs a save button once you have everything the way you want it. I realize it saves continuously while that preset is selected but that is not intuitive.

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:27 PM Post #2,069 of 2,472
So Antipodes did fukc up. I was on an appointment with them today and they told me it’s a known issue with AMS 4. They couldn’t fix it tonight, but they claim a fix is coming this weekend. Don’t update if you haven’t yet

Oct 20, 2022 at 9:32 PM Post #2,070 of 2,472
Is this an issue with roon and squeeze as the player?

I had read elsewhere that if youre using roon + squeeze as the player you needed to disable and re-enable squeeze support in roon to get the player to show.

Thankyou

Users who are viewing this thread

Back