CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Oct 1, 2022 at 1:44 AM Post #2,027 of 2,467
@Triode User Do you ever go bnc only from your K50 to M-scaler? I know you typically use USB with the Innuos PhoenixUSB. I do the same, but I've been curious about going bnc straight from the K50 because I want to hear what the internal reclocker sounds like. Since you're the bnc cables guy, I thought you might have some insight here. Are there any sound quality improvements or decreases by going bnc vs usb?

I see you've gone all in with the Sean Jacobs and K50.

But you need sine regeneration for digital. The sine wave in the US is bad.

If you get an Isotek sine wave regenerator it will make huge dividends for digital. And you'll wonder where it's been all your life.

Oct 1, 2022 at 4:07 AM Post #2,028 of 2,467
I see you've gone all in with the Sean Jacobs and K50.

But you need sine regeneration for digital. The sine wave in the US is bad.

If you get an Isotek sine wave regenerator it will make huge dividends for digital. And you'll wonder where it's been all your life.
Thanks, I’ll check it out

Oct 3, 2022 at 5:49 PM Post #2,031 of 2,467
Another completely new interface. I wish they would just pick an interface and run with it instead of constantly changing it. Looks like change for changes sake.
The ability to monitor loading is welcome.

Oct 3, 2022 at 10:55 PM Post #2,032 of 2,467
Another completely new interface. I wish they would just pick an interface and run with it instead of constantly changing it. Looks like change for changes sake.
They did this to benefit new users who have struggled to figure things out. We aren’t privy to all the support tickets that customers submitted, but for Antipodes to take this on I suspect it pained them to see their customers struggling to get their new servers up and running. We should applaud them for wanting to make things easier for their customers.

I think the new interface is fantastic. It not only makes it easier for a new customer to get up and running but it also simplifies the switching between software choices. Those who have multiple DACs are gonna love the presets too. What used to take multiple clicks can all be accomplished by changing to a different preset.

They’ve substituted words for what uses to be icons on buttons. I’m sure each of us had occasions where we clicked the gear icon when instead we wanted to click on the open button. I still get occasionally tripped up by that, but those days will be over once the new version is released.

Oct 7, 2022 at 4:51 PM Post #2,033 of 2,467
I can see the benefits, but really hope they stop messing with the interface after this one. I had only just got used to the last major change.
I would like to see them putting more effort into making the underlying processes run more efficiently so sound quality improves.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:10 PM Post #2,034 of 2,467
I can see the benefits, but really hope they stop messing with the interface after this one. I had only just got used to the last major change.
I would like to see them putting more effort into making the underlying processes run more efficiently so sound quality improves.
I agree with the desire to see things stabilize. But I think your expectations need to be adjusted to face the reality of what kind of products these actually are. These aren't inexpensive products so "good enough" isn't good enough for most of those who shelled out big dollars for these boxes. I think many of us would be rather disappointed if the software became stale.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:11 PM Post #2,035 of 2,467
Being able to monitor cpu usage without having a dev account is going to be super helpful for me. When Antipodes was looking at my K50, there was very high cpu usage on all cores. They said it wasn't typical, but might be due to my library size being so large. I want to monitor cpu usage in real-time to see if my random crashes are due to high cpu load.

Oct 7, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #2,036 of 2,467
Being able to monitor cpu usage without having a dev account is going to be super helpful for me. When Antipodes was looking at my K50, there was very high cpu usage on all cores. They said it wasn't typical, but might be due to my library size being so large. I want to monitor cpu usage in real-time to see if my random crashes are due to high cpu load.
And temperatures when doing the initial load of a library and opening it up to a few cores to just smash it out.

I beleive the operating system is built upon sonicorbitor OS so these changes may be due to an upgrade in that platform rather than something antipodes are specifically pushing themselves.

Oct 8, 2022 at 2:03 AM Post #2,037 of 2,467
I beleive the operating system is built upon sonicorbitor OS so these changes may be due to an upgrade in that platform rather than something antipodes are specifically pushing themselves.

Antipodes has been driving the AMS 4 changes themselves. They’ve also stated that AMS 4 is just a GUI change. Charts such as these are straightforward to implement though Antipodes has brought a cool look to them. I’ve been impressed with a few problems their developer solved so I suspect credit is theirs for this.

Oct 8, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #2,038 of 2,467
I’m sure anyone reading my comments since I began posting in this thread knows that I’ve been absolutely delighted with my K30. It really has been one of the best audio purchase I’ve made. And yet here I sit listening to a demo K50. It’s been here two weeks. The first week I could hear that it was clearly a step up from my K30. Not sure though that it was enough of a step up to justify its much higher price. But by the second week, holy crap I now fear for my wallet. As much as I know that servers make a difference, it is still astonishes me that a server can make this much of a difference. It’s not subtle at all. I’ll share some observations over the next few weeks.

Oct 8, 2022 at 5:11 AM Post #2,039 of 2,467
That’s the thing with antipodes, the longer you listen, the better it gets.

Oct 8, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #2,040 of 2,467
I’m sure anyone reading my comments since I began posting in this thread knows that I’ve been absolutely delighted with my K30. It really has been one of the best audio purchase I’ve made. And yet here I sit listening to a demo K50. It’s been here two weeks. The first week I could hear that it was clearly a step up from my K30. Not sure though that it was enough of a step up to justify its much higher price. But by the second week, holy crap I now fear for my wallet. As much as I know that servers make a difference, it is still astonishes me that a server can make this much of a difference. It’s not subtle at all. I’ll share some observations over the next few weeks.
Which output are you using and which server / player software? I know what I prefer with the K50 but I just wondered what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back