CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jul 30, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #751 of 2,467
I'm of the understanding that it only works with saved content. It doesn't work with streaming content in Qobuz or Tidal for example...could be wrong thoug
Ok maybe that's why. I managed to get the ssd tracks to play. The Tidal tracks are still stuck. But all good, as long as I can play the ssd ones for now I'm happy. :)

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #752 of 2,467
Hi Antipodes owners

What connection do you find sound best on specifically your K devices into your DAC's. Would it be silly to use the network connection into Network enabled DAC and use it as Roon end point. My DAC is Weiss 501 and has this option.
Has anybody tried Mutec clocker another clock to reclock from K to DAC.
What player software do you use I am using Squeeze/Roon but heard others sound much better
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_2266.jpg
    IMG_2266.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Jul 30, 2021 at 1:20 PM Post #753 of 2,467
Hi all, just got the K30/S20 delivered and currently messing around with it. Anyone noticed the UBS 2.0 out is flimsy? As in the USB cable I have can easily slide in and out without much friction. Certainly very different to how I experience other typical USB ports. The sound is playing though so seems to hold connection.

Currently using the Roon server / Squeezelite player combo. Is there a better combo for best sound quality? Thanks all.
My K50 is the same I though it was actually broken so I mailed the dealer with a video and I got what now seems to be the standard line that Antipodes chose this to sound the best. Its actually surprising it works given how loose the connection is.

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #754 of 2,467
Hi Antipodes owners

What connection do you find sound best on specifically your K devices into your DAC's. Would it be silly to use the network connection into Network enabled DAC and use it as Roon end point. My DAC is Weiss 501 and has this option.
Has anybody tried Mutec clocker another clock to reclock from K to DAC.
What player software do you use I am using Squeeze/Roon but heard others sound much better
Thanks
Every DAC is different.. For most DACs, some inputs sound better than others. This is the appeal of the K50 -- you can try AES, HDMI, SPDIF, etc., and see input which sounds best on your DAC.

Ideally you can get equivalent-quality cables for the comparison. Also keep in mind your different inputs may support different resolutions. Typically USB and Ethernet support the highest formats / bitrates -- but don't let this be a distraction. AES or another input might sound substantially better for the redbook to 24/192 music you probably listen to 99% of the time.

Re: your Weiss, I would be surprised if the ethernet input (even fed from the K50) sounds better than USB or AES, but try it! YMMV. My CX / EX / Innuos Phoenix / P2 (via HDMI) sounded better than either the Tambaqui built-in ethernet or the PS Audio DirectStream Bridge II.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #756 of 2,467
Every DAC is different.. For most DACs, some inputs sound better than others. This is the appeal of the K50 -- you can try AES, HDMI, SPDIF, etc., and see input which sounds best on your DAC.

Ideally you can get equivalent-quality cables for the comparison. Also keep in mind your different inputs may support different resolutions. Typically USB and Ethernet support the highest formats / bitrates -- but don't let this be a distraction. AES or another input might sound substantially better for the redbook to 24/192 music you probably listen to 99% of the time.

Re: your Weiss, I would be surprised if the ethernet input (even fed from the K50) sound better than UEB or AES, but try it! YMMV. My CX / EX / P2 (via HDMI) sounded better than either the Tambaqui built-in ethernet or the PS Audio DirectStream Bridge II.
Yes that's certainly true of the K50 having the options to try and of coarse if DAC supports but using say Ethernet and your DAC as an end point would render the K50 player basically obsolete but using say USB or AES would not or am I getting this wrong. Thanks

Jul 31, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #757 of 2,467
Hi all,

What players are you using with your Antipodes. I would like to try HQPlayer as I have heard it sounds better than Roon/Squeeze. Is it difficult to set up, anyone A/B test the sound quality.
Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 10.02.16.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 10.02.16.png
    642.6 KB · Views: 0
Jul 31, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #758 of 2,467
Hi all,

What players are you using with your Antipodes. I would like to try HQPlayer as I have heard it sounds better than Roon/Squeeze. Is it difficult to set up, anyone A/B test the sound quality.
Thanks
Anything soumds better than Roon/Squeeze to my ears.

Have you tried Squeeze on the Server and Squeeze on the Player? Many think this is the best sound quality but at the price of loss of convenience. Use the Material web browser for file selection or iPeng.

This is obviously until we get the new Antipodes 3.2 software hopefully some time in teh next few days then we will have to see what extra options are open to us (Minimserver for instance).

Jul 31, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #759 of 2,467
Thought I provide update after 2 days messing around with the K30/S20. I managed to find best quality doing the below:

Upgraded Qobuz to sublime and start purchasing high res tracks. Transfer the high res files to K30. Set up K30player as MPD player. Use Mconnect player HD from iPad to play the downloaded tracks. The sound quality is very noticeable step up from using Roon / Squeeze to play the same track from the same SSD. I haven’t done much extensive a/b testing, but quick impressions seem to be playing off the SSD is much better than streaming. And MPD providing the best sound quality to my ears.

As for Squeeze server / Squeeze player combo, I need to come back to this at some point. Initially when trying this combo after the Roon / Squeeze combo, I thought there is a step up in quality. However, after more listening, I find the treble energy seems quite strong, almost bright. Switching back to Roon / Squeeze combo seems to warm up the sound. So for now have moved away from Squeeze / squeeze.

I just managed to set up HQplayer today, so haven’t had much experience with this yet. Might try the HQPcontrol? / HQplayer combo to see whether it surpass the MPD combo mentioned above.

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #760 of 2,467

Have you tried Squeeze on the Server and Squeeze on the Player? Many think this is the best sound quality but at the price of loss of convenience. Use the Material web browser for file selection or iPeng.

This is obviously until we get the new Antipodes 3.2 software hopefully some time in teh next few days then we will have to see what extra options are open to us (Minimserver for instance).
Hi no I haven't tried but I will take a look. Yes I hearing a lot that Squeeze/Roon is better than Roon but still a not the best option. I was only using as I like the Roon interface etc. Is it difficult to get set up? Im having network problems with K50 which are unresolved and I don't want to loose what I have.
Thanks for reply.

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #761 of 2,467
Thought I provide update after 2 days messing around with the K30/S20. I managed to find best quality doing the below:

Upgraded Qobuz to sublime and start purchasing high res tracks. Transfer the high res files to K30. Set up K30player as MPD player. Use Mconnect player HD from iPad to play the downloaded tracks. The sound quality is very noticeable step up from using Roon / Squeeze to play the same track from the same SSD. I haven’t done much extensive a/b testing, but quick impressions seem to be playing off the SSD is much better than streaming. And MPD providing the best sound quality to my ears.

As for Squeeze server / Squeeze player combo, I need to come back to this at some point. Initially when trying this combo after the Roon / Squeeze combo, I thought there is a step up in quality. However, after more listening, I find the treble energy seems quite strong, almost bright. Switching back to Roon / Squeeze combo seems to warm up the sound. So for now have moved away from Squeeze / squeeze.

I just managed to set up HQplayer today, so haven’t had much experience with this yet. Might try the HQPcontrol? / HQplayer combo to see whether it surpass the MPD combo mentioned above.
Good on you for trying the various options out. I just tried Ethernet from K50 to DAC and use DAC and Roon Ready end point. This actually sounds good but renders 2/3 of K50 redundant. Then I tried Roon/Squeeze and that's what ive been using for a while as I've read its better than Roon alone. Would be interested to hear how you go with HQ player. Thanks for reply

Jul 31, 2021 at 8:41 AM Post #762 of 2,467
Yes that's the tricky part about trying to utilize all of the unit's capability. If you have the K50, I reckon you should try to use AES, SPDIF, or i2s to benefit from the re-clocking function, effectively the s20 unit.

Jul 31, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #763 of 2,467

This is a major jump in SQ!!! like seriously a major jump not a subtle thing, it sounds amazing. Thanks for the tip here. I think I have it set up ok but Ipeng asks me to switch to Roon app ? is this for searching as I don't seem to be able to search on Ipeng app.Thanks for help

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 10.02.16.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 10.02.16.png
    642.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 14.13.46.png
    Screenshot 2021-07-31 at 14.13.46.png
    715.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2299.PNG
    IMG_2299.PNG
    339.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2300.PNG
    IMG_2300.PNG
    296.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2301.PNG
    IMG_2301.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 31, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #764 of 2,467
Yes that's the tricky part about trying to utilize all of the unit's capability. If you have the K50, I reckon you should try to use AES, SPDIF, or i2s to benefit from the re-clocking function, effectively the s20 unit.
My God the jump in SQ is mind-blowing using Squeeze/Squeeze. I think I have it all set up correctly but not sure 😁, alls I know is that it sounds amazing, could you have a look at my screenshots, what I don't understand is that Ipeng asks to switch to Roon app, is this normal? thanks so much.

Attachments

• IMG_2299.PNG
    IMG_2299.PNG
    339.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2300.PNG
    IMG_2300.PNG
    296.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2301.PNG
    IMG_2301.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Jul 31, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #765 of 2,467
My God the jump in SQ is mind-blowing using Squeeze/Squeeze. I think I have it all set up correctly but not sure 😁, alls I know is that it sounds amazing, could you have a look at my screenshots, what I don't understand is that Ipeng asks to switch to Roon app, is this normal? thanks so much.
The screenshots look good to me.

iPeng is just giving you the option to switch to Roon, it is not asking you to do it.

Glad I could help.

Like I say, more maybe to come with the update to the 3.1 software soon. Not long now.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back