CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jul 28, 2021 at 9:28 AM Post #737 of 2,535
I assume it won’t and that the OLADRA upgrade is just the power supply but I could be wrong and often am!. The CX/EX upgrade path only exists anyway up to the end of August 2021 so best to check out with Antipodes what you get with the upgrade and get units booked in before the cut off date?
Oh, they are there at present and are currently in surgery 😁. Speaking to Mark, the performance of the CX/EX after the upgrade is going to be very close, and that the upgrades are very very good value indeed

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #738 of 2,535
I have Norton 360 with VPN on my desktop units and on mobile devices. I have not tried managing My Antipodes on mobil, but to see the configuration dashboard using My Antipodes, I have to disconnect VPN. I can directly enter the IP addresses for server and player with VPN on, just not see the combined dashboard with VPN on. I would suggest directly entering the server and player IP addresses into browser as well.

Yep Mark has dialed in a few times but nothing can be done seemingly ,meanwhile I
end up with a K50 I can’t see or use properly on “my antipodes “ , it’s very frustrating ,I guess my situation is rare but none the less at the moment a problem.

Jul 28, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #739 of 2,535
I actually think most people are able to overcome it as our senses are busy discerning for us all the time. Also what we come to find often are surprises. We think we will get A and B, but then we find what most impresses us is getting C and maybe D. I expected certain things from my K30 - but the vinyl-like density of tone was a total surprise - and I think it’s what I appreciate most about it.
I just wanted to jump back to this: have you heard the Innuos Statement? Or serious efforts from other manufacturers? I'm always curious to see how these things compare across brands (and their quite different approaches). I ask because a friend with an Innuos Statement is doing some upgrades (including a fully-loaded Sean Jacobs DC4 power supply for his DAVE).

Jul 28, 2021 at 9:18 PM Post #740 of 2,535
  • I just wanted to jump back to this: have you heard the Innuos Statement? Or serious efforts from other manufacturers? I'm always curious to see how these things compare across brands (and their quite different approaches). I ask because a friend with an Innuos Statement is doing some upgrades (including a fully-loaded Sean Jacobs DC4 power supply for his DAVE).

I previously owned an Innuos Zenith Mk3. I opted to move to an Antipodes K30 instead of moving up to the Statement. There were many reasons for this:
  1. Low power CPUs like the ones in the Innuos servers were reported to be not be as capable of dynamics and transient speed as the higher power ones.
  2. Roon’s sound quality degraded too much on my Zenith so I hoped the two-tier architecture of Antipodes might lessen the degradation
  3. Innuos promised a Mk3 upgrade to my former Zenith Mk2. I was put on a list in 2019 to receive an email once the upgrade was available. That email never came.
  4. Innuos lacked the ability to run HQPlayer. I wanted to be able to sell my MScaler to be able to fund the purchase of a better server.
  5. Innuos at the time only had one method to play my music files that were upsampled to 768k: Roon. Now they have two. Antipodes has three and should hopefully soon support a fourth.
Innuos makes great servers but Antipodes is a far better match for me. Note how transparent Antipodes is now about available upgrades. It’s hugely important to me that my box has a future beyond what I paid for it. The installed software suite exceeded expectations and is a big step up from what Innuos offered (and is still offering). And it’s soon to get even better. And the sound quality is just phenomenal. A friend who came to visit recently wrote: “And the Antipodes K30 appears to have brought some delicious tonal richness and weight to the party. Really well done.”

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #741 of 2,535
Hi all, just got the K30/S20 delivered and currently messing around with it. Anyone noticed the UBS 2.0 out is flimsy? As in the USB cable I have can easily slide in and out without much friction. Certainly very different to how I experience other typical USB ports. The sound is playing though so seems to hold connection.

Currently using the Roon server / Squeezelite player combo. Is there a better combo for best sound quality? Thanks all.

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #742 of 2,535
Hi all, just got the K30/S20 delivered and currently messing around with it. Anyone noticed the UBS 2.0 out is flimsy? As in the USB cable I have can easily slide in and out without much friction. Certainly very different to how I experience other typical USB ports. The sound is playing though so seems to hold connection.

Currently using the Roon server / Squeezelite player combo. Is there a better combo for best sound quality? Thanks all.
I have had a real go a Antipodes over that flimsy USB output. I got a spurious response saying they had selected that particular USB output socket for its sound quality after doing listening tests. Mine was so loose that the USB cable kept falling out. Antipodes referred me to a YouTube video where a guy bent the prongs on a laptop usb socket to make it a tighter fit but two minutes after doing that the usb socket was back to being loose. In the end my dealer gave me a new K50 but the socket on this new one is not much better.

The usb socket is just a cheap and nasty substandard fitting. It is not soldered onto any main board and could easily be changed as a retrofit item by Antipodes if they were so minded. I must say the unwillingness of Antipodes to acknowledge the problems with the robustness of the usb socket and to try and fob me off with some story about it being the best sounding one they could find is laughable. There are after all just four gold plated prongs inside. I really hope Antipodes will come to their senses and offer a retrofit replacement USB output socket. Maybe more owners need to complain.

Rant over.

As to your question about server / player apps for playback it might be worth delaying a response on that until the new 3.1 software is available at the end of July. Currently though for standard resolution files I prefer Squeeze/Squeezelite to output to my Mscaler, definitely not using Roon as that detracts from sound quality.

But as I say, it may change when we get the 3.1 software.

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #743 of 2,535
I have had a real go a Antipodes over that flimsy USB output. I got a spurious response saying they had selected that particular USB output socket for its sound quality after doing listening tests. Mine was so loose that the USB cable kept falling out. Antipodes referred me to a YouTube video where a guy bent the prongs on a laptop usb socket to make it a tighter fit but two minutes after doing that the usb socket was back to being loose. In the end my dealer gave me a new K50 but the socket on this new one is not much better.

The usb socket is just a cheap and nasty substandard fitting. It is not soldered onto any main board and could easily be changed as a retrofit item by Antipodes if they were so minded. I must say the unwillingness of Antipodes to acknowledge the problems with the robustness of the usb socket and to try and fob me off with some story about it being the best sounding one they could find is laughable. There are after all just four gold plated prongs inside. I really hope Antipodes will come to their senses and offer a retrofit replacement USB output socket. Maybe more owners need to complain.

Rant over.

As to your question about server / player apps for playback it might be worth delaying a response on that until the new 3.1 software is available at the end of July. Currently though for standard resolution files I prefer Squeeze/Squeezelite to output to my Mscaler, definitely not using Roon as that detracts from sound quality.

But as I say, it may change when we get the 3.1 software.
Thanks for the quick response. Wow that is not great for antipodes. I mean these are +$10k servers so what are they thinking with including a flimsy loose 2.0 usb output to go with it. I suppose for your K50 you can easily use other output, I'm stuck with the usb output as I use that to connect to the S20. Really hope they do something with this.

I've got no choice but to use the USB for now, but not 100% sure if the loose usb impacts sound quality or not, as that's the only output that can be used out of the K30.

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:50 AM Post #744 of 2,535
Thanks for the quick response. Wow that is not great for antipodes. I mean these are +$10k servers so what are they thinking with including a flimsy loose 2.0 usb output to go with it. I suppose for your K50 you can easily use other output, I'm stuck with the usb output as I use that to connect to the S20. Really hope they do something with this.

I've got no choice but to use the USB for now, but not 100% sure if the loose usb impacts sound quality or not, as that's the only output that can be used out of the K30.
Antipodes will say that they selected the usb socket because of its sound quality so you do not need to be concerned about sound quality. However the sound quality is not brilliant when the usb cable falls out.

Email Mark Coles at Antipodes and register your unhappiness about the usb socket. My dealer immediately know what I was complaining about because they said the usb cable kept falling out of their demo model.

It wouldn’t have been so bad if the socket had been recessed more and if the hole in the case had been not so big to give some support.

Jul 29, 2021 at 12:48 PM Post #745 of 2,535

Similar situation with the K30, but I was also worried about the strain a heavy cable would place on it. A Stillpoints Aperture panel behind my rack is helping reduce the strain.

AF37F504-F77F-4A81-892C-B1B6A76CAED7.jpeg

Jul 29, 2021 at 1:24 PM Post #746 of 2,535
Had to put a stand to support my ac 12 power cable into my dx3. Course it’s a ridiculous stiff and heavy cable but it would pop the power plug right out of the server. All’s well tho

Jul 29, 2021 at 7:30 PM Post #747 of 2,535
Similar situation with the K30, but I was also worried about the strain a heavy cable would place on it. A Stillpoints Aperture panel behind my rack is helping reduce the strain.
Now that's a chunky USB cable. Good workaround!

Jul 30, 2021 at 1:03 AM Post #748 of 2,535
Jul 30, 2021 at 6:04 AM Post #749 of 2,535
Hi all, been fumbling around trying to get MPD to work. The v3.0 manual I have, I can’t seem to find the information required to get MPD working.

What I’ve done so far:
- Enable MPD as player
- Currently has Roon as server app, clicking on MPD server it doesn’t have much information other than MPD player is all you need
- install mConnectPlayer on my ipad
- I’m able to select K30player, however when trying to play something from tidal selection, the song won’t play, and stuck at 0 second

Any idea what went wrong here? Have fumbled for the last 30 mins and not getting anywhere. Thanks in advance.

Jul 30, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #750 of 2,535
Hi all, been fumbling around trying to get MPD to work. The v3.0 manual I have, I can’t seem to find the information required to get MPD working.

What I’ve done so far:
- Enable MPD as player
- Currently has Roon as server app, clicking on MPD server it doesn’t have much information other than MPD player is all you need
- install mConnectPlayer on my ipad
- I’m able to select K30player, however when trying to play something from tidal selection, the song won’t play, and stuck at 0 second

Any idea what went wrong here? Have fumbled for the last 30 mins and not getting anywhere. Thanks in advance.
I'm of the understanding that it only works with saved content. It doesn't work with streaming content in Qobuz or Tidal for example...could be wrong thoug

Users who are viewing this thread

Back