CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jul 27, 2021 at 5:26 PM Post #721 of 2,467
Hi There,
Anyone try Mutec USB reclocker from Antipodes USB out to DAC, I've a K50 sounds great but maybe theres more to be had. Ive noticed USB sounds better than AES into my DAC I thought that would not be the case
Thanks

Jul 27, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #722 of 2,467
I've a K50 sounds great but maybe theres more to be had. Ive noticed USB sounds better than AES into my DAC I thought that would not be the case

This is from the description of the P2:

“The requirements for the P2’s digital outputs are quite different because they are synchronous interfaces. Therefore, in addition to low noise, the P2 needs exceptional accuracy of the clock data carried in the signal. The ultra-low noise signal produced by the CX or EX is sent via USB to the P2, and the P2 regenerates signals using a femto-second clock.”

I believe this continues to apply even to the reclocker in the K50 in that it’s fed USB and then high quality clock data is added to it since USB doesn’t carry that (USB id asynchronous with the receiver clock setting the tempo). I think it would be reasonable to conclude that USB will be the cleanest output. The other outputs are provided for DACs that may not favor or even have a USB input.

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #723 of 2,467

“The requirements for the P2’s digital outputs are quite different because they are synchronous interfaces. Therefore, in addition to low noise, the P2 needs exceptional accuracy of the clock data carried in the signal. The ultra-low noise signal produced by the CX or EX is sent via USB to the P2, and the P2 regenerates signals using a femto-second clock.”

I believe this continues to apply even to the reclocker in the K50 in that it’s fed USB and then high quality clock data is added to it since USB doesn’t carry that (USB id asynchronous with the receiver clock setting the tempo). I think it would be reasonable to conclude that USB will be the cleanest output. The other outputs are provided for DACs that may not favor or even have a USB input.
Hi There,
Anyone try Mutec USB reclocker from Antipodes USB out to DAC, I've a K50 sounds great but maybe theres more to be had. Ive noticed USB sounds better than AES into my DAC I thought that would not be the case
Thanks
Bling, you do not say what your dac is. Does it only have aes and usb input?

Kenny, quite a few of us prefer the BNC output on the K50 rather than usb especially going to the chord mscaler or chord dacs and that is why i ask what dac Bling has.

Jul 28, 2021 at 1:04 AM Post #724 of 2,467
Kenny, quite a few of us prefer the BNC output on the K50 rather than usb especially going to the chord mscaler or chord dacs and that is why i ask what dac Bling has.
Yes but that likely aligns with what I wrote: "The other outputs are provided for DACs that may not favor or even have a USB input." You avoid the Amanaro USB so it's more about the inferiority of that than the superiority of BNC coming out of the K50. I could be wrong of course.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #725 of 2,467
Yes but that likely aligns with what I wrote: "The other outputs are provided for DACs that may not favor or even have a USB input." You avoid the Amanaro USB so it's more about the inferiority of that than the superiority of BNC coming out of the K50. I could be wrong of course.
Agreed, the other thing is that we do not know is whether the P2 from the superseded CX/EX range has the same internal configuration as the K50 with its outputs and therefore whether you mentioning its configuration is applicable to the k50? The Antipodes K50 description says, “all new”.
  • An all-new fully-isolated reclocking engine to provide exceptional S/PDIF, AES3 and I2S digital outputs.
That is why I thought it would be good to know what DAC is being used.

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:18 AM Post #726 of 2,467
Agreed, the other thing is that we do not know is whether the P2 from the superseded CX/EX range has the same internal configuration as the K50 with its outputs and therefore whether you mentioning its configuration is applicable to the k50? The Antipodes K50 description says, “all new”.
  • An all-new fully-isolated reclocking engine to provide exceptional S/PDIF, AES3 and I2S digital outputs.
That is why I thought it would be good to know what DAC is being used.
I noticed you have the Phoenix. Have you tried K50 > Phoenix > M-Scaler using USB? :upside_down:

Jul 28, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #727 of 2,467
I noticed you have the Phoenix. Have you tried K50 > Phoenix > M-Scaler using USB? :upside_down:

Yes, I use that configuration at the moment when I use the Mscaler (indeed whenever I use USB from the K50) but don’t read too much (or indeed anything) from that because I also have an Innuos streamer and I just tend to swop their USB outputs to the Phoenix. I am really waiting for the Antipodes release of 3.1 to enable me to use the current versions of Squeezelite, MPD, etc with the K50 before I spend time trying to work out if the Phoenix improves the K50 usb output.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #728 of 2,467
Bling, you do not say what your dac is. Does it only have aes and usb input?

Hi ,
Yes DAC has both inputs it’s Weiss 501, I was using AES out previously as I just presumed it was the best, I switched back just to try USB and on my system it sound better. I am not using Mscaler or anything between k50 and DAC.
Thanks
Sean

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:23 AM Post #729 of 2,467
the other thing is that we do not know is whether the P2 from the superseded CX/EX range has the same internal configuration as the K50 with its outputs and therefore whether you mentioning its configuration is applicable to the k50? The Antipodes K50 description says, “all new”

The new S20 may provide some insight:

“Unfortunately, USB Audio has been negatively impacted by revisions of the USB standard, and the noise introduced by using Ethernet is just as troubling. The Antipodes S20 is the answer to this problem, isolating the USB input electronically from the reclocker circuit and then providing precision re-clocked outputs, powered by Antipodes HSL power supplies.”

My previous assumption looks like it might not have been correct. I hadn’t considered that additional power supply to power it either. That should definitely be a plus. The K50 has 3 supplies with one powering the reclocker, so K50 owners are in great shape. And K30 owners could always add the S20+S60.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #730 of 2,467

“Unfortunately, USB Audio has been negatively impacted by revisions of the USB standard, and the noise introduced by using Ethernet is just as troubling. The Antipodes S20 is the answer to this problem, isolating the USB input electronically from the reclocker circuit and then providing precision re-clocked outputs, powered by Antipodes HSL power supplies.”

My previous assumption looks like it might not have been correct. I hadn’t considered that additional power supply to power it either. That should definitely be a plus. The K50 has 3 supplies with one powering the reclocker, so K50 owners are in great shape. And K30 owners could always add the S20+S60.

Ah, cool. Thanks for investigating that.

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #731 of 2,467

Thant is ver interseting thank for sharing. The K50 is world clock and unfortunately doesn't accept 10mhz input so my understanding is any clock attached becomes a SLAVE. Have you tried the P2 I am not sure it adds much to the K50 as it already has AES out or maybe I'm wrong and it does more?

Jul 28, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #732 of 2,467
Its a very weird one I'm on Vodaphone and for whatever reason the K50 is not stable either shows streamer only or server only or neither. I still plays music but not as still very frustrating. I am afraid to do tweets or changes incase I loose it all-together. I think it's to do with the single IP address for two devices streamer/server.
I assume you are talking about seeing the K50 Server and Player on MyAntipodes are you? Have you tried reaching out to Mark Coles at Antipodes with this issue? Or do you think it is a cellular signal strength issue and if so do you have an external aerial? Have you looked up on a cellular transmitter map to see which network and which transmitter is best for you?

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:09 AM Post #733 of 2,467

I wonder if this will be added as an OLADRA tech upgrade to the CX/EX units. I assume it will

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:52 AM Post #734 of 2,467
I wonder if this will be added as an OLADRA tech upgrade to the CX/EX units. I assume it will
I assume it won’t and that the OLADRA upgrade is just the power supply but I could be wrong and often am!. The CX/EX upgrade path only exists anyway up to the end of August 2021 so best to check out with Antipodes what you get with the upgrade and get units booked in before the cut off date?

Jul 28, 2021 at 7:14 AM Post #735 of 2,467
I assume you are talking about seeing the K50 Server and Player on MyAntipodes are you? Have you tried reaching out to Mark Coles at Antipodes with this issue? Or do you think it is a cellular signal strength issue and if so do you have an external aerial? Have you looked up on a cellular transmitter map to see which network and which transmitter is best for you?
Yep Mark has dialed in a few times but nothing can be done seemingly ,meanwhile I
end up with a K50 I can’t see or use properly on “my antipodes “ , it’s very frustrating ,I guess my situation is rare but none the less at the moment a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back