CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Aug 7, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #121 of 2,412
The first production run of K and S series was over-subscribed by our vendors and we are shipping them as fast as we can right now. Perhaps allow two weeks from now for shipping (slow in these COVID-19 times) and for our vendors to get some experience with them.

There would not be much saving by excluding the reclocker, less than 10%, so we did not consider it a meaningful variation.

HQPlayer is an oddball one. Best to install HQPlayer Server Embedded on the Server engine and HQPlayer NAA on the Player engine, to get the benefits of separation of duties.

The confusing thing about HQP is that they call it a server when it is actually a renderer when used in combination with Roon. My understanding of this is based on the Antipodes user guide for installing Roon/HQP (v2 software). This was a very nice document, hopefully it gets updated for the new software.

If using the Roon/HQP combination I would of thought you would have your Roon core on the server engine and embedded HQP on the player. You would then run HQP with the Alsa back end, unless you want to switch playback options, in which case you would run Naa. The HQP renderer is a substantial improvement over Roon Ready for my Chord TT2. I never want to go back to other players so I run Alsa mode for the simplest installation possible.

Aug 7, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #122 of 2,412
The confusing thing about HQP is that they call it a server when it is actually a renderer when used in combination with Roon. My understanding of this is based on the Antipodes user guide for installing Roon/HQP (v2 software). This was a very nice document, hopefully it gets updated for the new software.

If using the Roon/HQP combination I would of thought you would have your Roon core on the server engine and embedded HQP on the player. You would then run HQP with the Alsa back end, unless you want to switch playback options, in which case you would run Naa. The HQP renderer is a substantial improvement over Roon Ready for my Chord TT2. I never want to go back to other players so I run Alsa mode for the simplest installation possible.
Well said!

I run my roon core and hqp (alsa) on my EX with usb to TT2.

Neat experiment I saw to test if your network is adding noise. Get a tune playing, listen for a bit and then remove the ethernet cable to the EX (CX for combo system). Listen for changes. None for me. Ymmv

Aug 8, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #123 of 2,412
@Progisus @andrewd01 @Kapiti
Thank you all for your help.
I currently have the CX and EX split so unable to set up for a short time, shortly they will be reunited...they sadly miss each other.
I shall retry the HQPlayer as a renderer on the EX in alsa mode.
I assume the EX powerful enough and does anyone use upscaling with and without the Chord Mscaler ?

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #124 of 2,412
Today I installed HQPlayer (alsa mode) on the EX with Roon Core also running on the EX.

I had problems switching to Roon Ready as Roon was unable to connect to Roon Ready when HQPlayer was installed.

I have to remove HQPlayer and Roon Ready then reinstall Roon Ready to get Roon Ready working again..!

Can Roon switch back and forth between Roon Ready and HQPlayer for quick comparison in SQ ?

Also anyone tried power cables with the CX and EX did the SQ change ?

Aug 13, 2020 at 4:07 PM Post #125 of 2,412
I put a monster ac12 power chord on my DX, can't really say there was any difference, but it looked cool, makes me feel good that a chord that could power a aircraft carrier is on my server. it doesn't bend much tho

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #126 of 2,412
I put a monster ac12 power chord on my DX, can't really say there was any difference, but it looked cool, makes me feel good that a chord that could power a aircraft carrier is on my server. it doesn't bend much tho
The AC12 is indeed a monster -- makes a huge difference on my DAC and preamp (both PS Audio). Haven't tried on my EX or EtherRegen. Interesting to hear your results -- thks for sharing.

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:34 PM Post #127 of 2,412
Don’t forget I’m over 50, don’t have a golden ear. I have learned a lot and did a/b all along the way. Found stuff I liked better and kept Those.... but i found power chords, linear power conditioners and Ethernet sound cables the least noticeable differences, although they may be there I can’t tell. Now that didn’t stop me from upgrading chords, conditioners, and Ethernet. My thoughts with this level when in doubt, upgrade anyways. Lol

Aug 13, 2020 at 5:41 PM Post #128 of 2,412
Today I installed HQPlayer (alsa mode) on the EX with Roon Core also running on the EX.

I had problems switching to Roon Ready as Roon was unable to connect to Roon Ready when HQPlayer was installed.

I have to remove HQPlayer and Roon Ready then reinstall Roon Ready to get Roon Ready working again..!

Can Roon switch back and forth between Roon Ready and HQPlayer for quick comparison in SQ ?

Also anyone tried power cables with the CX and EX did the SQ change ?
If you want to be able switch between roonready and hqplayer then you will need to:
1) install hqplayer naa
2) install roonready
3) use the appswitcher to select naa
4) set hqp to use network and apply
5) set the naa to your dac on usb and apply
6) make sure the roonready is set for usb
7) use app switcher to select between roonready and naa
8) roonready will only show as an endpoint when it is active by the switcher

Hope this helps

Aug 14, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #129 of 2,412
The AC12 is indeed a monster -- makes a huge difference on my DAC and preamp (both PS Audio). Haven't tried on my EX or EtherRegen. Interesting to hear your results -- thks for sharing.

I have an AC12. It is like a trans-atlantic cable or an umbilical cable used in a subsea oil field. The cable is so heavy and inflexible that the EX half floated in the air without resting on its feet (probably made worse by the fact that my AC12 is only 1 metre). I was concerned about putting undue strain on the AC socket of my EX so I removed the AC12 and used the lower spec AC5 which at least has some flexibility. I have not made any AB comparisons with a standard cable, but since I already had a Ps Audio P5 powerplant and the power cables I figured I may as well use them.

Aug 14, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #130 of 2,412
Thank goodness I got six feet so it could actually bend and work, but I had to take a metal weed grinder that was the perfect hight to put under it for support or it would torque the plug right out of the DX. I guess not a practice power chord the ac12

Aug 14, 2020 at 9:24 AM Post #131 of 2,412
@Progisus Thank you for your help.

Today I managed to get it working I must admit it was a bit of a flaky install as it takes Roon a while to see the endpoints when you switch, I almost gave up.

I have more listening to do but what fails to amaze me is that so far it beats Roon Ready and is a third party renderer !

I would STRONGLY advise others to try out HQPlayer as a renderer with Roon, at the moment I have set to no upscaling, all set to none to be a fair playing field.

I will come back with more of an overall view when I get more time with HQPlayer looks like I be spending some more cash shortly.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #132 of 2,412
Clive, Looking forward to your thoughts comparing HQP upscaling to your m scaler. I am currently running Sinc-L (2M taps) with LNS15 noise shaper.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #133 of 2,412
Clive, Looking forward to your thoughts comparing HQP upscaling to your m scaler. I am currently running Sinc-L (2M taps) with LNS15 noise shaper.
I was wondering what genre you prefer and how sinc-L might apply. I am a Prog fan and like sinc-m. I’m going to give sinc-L another listen.

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #134 of 2,412
To be honest I haven't done a rigorous comparison. I was using Sinc-M for a while and liked it. When Sinc-L came out I tried it and I think I liked it a bit more. I like a mixture of genres, but typically more relaxed stuff: folk, acoustic, jazz etc.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #135 of 2,412
Not took a lot of notice with the new line up of Antipodes Music servers but was just having a look is the S40 a replacement to the CX as it is a fair bit cheaper?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back