CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Aug 4, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #106 of 2,412
One of the CX/EX users on the roon forum also had the heating issues when doing hi rate dsd. I run roon core and hqplayer on my EX but pcm only. Cool as a cucumber. Are you the same Bill by chance?

Hey..indeed I am :) As I say, it's only using DSD and certain taxing filters and modulators. The SQ if great but the unit itself doesn't seem to like it (light starts flickering) if 75% of Core activity is used. PCM is a walk in the park for them though

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #107 of 2,412
DX doesn’t run hot, dsd 128 was slow and occasional drop outs, dsd 64 was fine. However because of chord dacs I use max pcm

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #108 of 2,412
DX doesn’t run hot, dsd 128 was slow and occasional drop outs, dsd 64 was fine. However because of chord dacs I use max pcm
Do you use hqplayer for dsp or roon’s dsp?

Aug 4, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #109 of 2,412
Aug 4, 2020 at 9:55 AM Post #110 of 2,412
Roon is quite light for dsd, however it's just upsampling. Hqplayer has filters and modulators to go with it. It's those that are making the CPU work harder but sounds stunning

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #111 of 2,412
considering the blistering product line changes antipodes should offer some type of upgrade path that would reward loyalty within the brand. i mean its been 3 years since i asked the question what's the best way to receive bits to ones DAC. since then DT GS and DX move over for EX and CX move over for n50. Course I'm not complaining, improving the offerings is positive and lets face it, the sounds really good from dx to cx. Still tho some loyalty path would be good.

Antipodes are working on developing the parts and processes to enable to launch an upgrade program for the CX and EX later in 2020

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #112 of 2,412
Hey..indeed I am :) As I say, it's only using DSD and certain taxing filters and modulators. The SQ if great but the unit itself doesn't seem to like it (light starts flickering) if 75% of Core activity is used. PCM is a walk in the park for them though
Which unit are you referring to that flickers CX or EX

Aug 4, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #113 of 2,412
For the kumbaya, now it’s a community

0622C7D2-7291-4C9A-9A61-B4E2B8DE26F1.jpeg

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2020 at 9:50 AM Post #114 of 2,412
Which unit are you referring to that flickers CX or EX

Hi, my CX is doing this but only if the Cores are under a hefty load (if 75% average is hefty). As I say, its only when I'm using Sinc-M (Million Taps) ASDM7EC Modulator and 56684000/6144000 rate limits. The EX hovers around 1%. Ive had to pull the rate limit down to 3072000 (keeping the same filter/modulator) to have a stable light and average core load of 25 - 35%. Im guessing its linked to the internal temps.

If however using PCM, a high rate of 352.8/384 again using Sinc-M with LNS15, the Core loads are very low, under 10%

Even using a bit rate thats dsd64, using the the combo of Sinc-M /ASDM7EC, Im finding that prefer the sonics better than PCM at 352.8/384 with Sinc-M LNS15. Ideally I would like to up the rate to be DSD128 but I dont think the hardware would thank me for it.

Im hoping the new upgrades will help with this amongst other benefits

Bill

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #115 of 2,412
@Kapiti Hello Mark,
If I may ask a few questions.
When will the new K and S series range be available also can they be ordered in silver ?
As I do not need the external outputs on the K50 is it possible to order without the clock with a cost saving as the extra power may come in handy ?
Running HQ player (upscaling) with Roon, is it better install on the server board or player board as these are seen as two computers and do not wish to have two licences ?
Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 7:49 AM Post #116 of 2,412
Aug 7, 2020 at 9:09 AM Post #117 of 2,412
-;

Last edited:
Aug 7, 2020 at 9:11 AM Post #118 of 2,412
@Kapiti Hello Mark,
If I may ask a few questions.
When will the new K and S series range be available also can they be ordered in silver ?
As I do not need the external outputs on the K50 is it possible to order without the clock with a cost saving as the extra power may come in handy ?
Running HQ player (upscaling) with Roon, is it better install on the server board or player board as these are seen as two computers and do not wish to have two licences ?
Thank you.
The first production run of K and S series was over-subscribed by our vendors and we are shipping them as fast as we can right now. Perhaps allow two weeks from now for shipping (slow in these COVID-19 times) and for our vendors to get some experience with them.

There would not be much saving by excluding the reclocker, less than 10%, so we did not consider it a meaningful variation.

HQPlayer is an oddball one. Best to install HQPlayer Server Embedded on the Server engine and HQPlayer NAA on the Player engine, to get the benefits of separation of duties.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 7, 2020 at 10:08 AM Post #119 of 2,412
The first production run of K and S series was over-subscribed by our vendors and we are shipping them as fast as we can right now. Perhaps allow two weeks from now for shipping (slow in these COVID-19 times) and for our vendors to get some experience with them.

There would not be much saving by excluding the reclocker, less than 10%, so we did not consider it a meaningful variation.

HQPlayer is an oddball one. Best to install HQPlayer Server Embedded on the Server engine and HQPlayer NAA on the Player engine, to get the benefits of separation of duties.
Thanks Mark,
With the CX EX combo and Roon I seemed to remember only installing the HQPlayer server is it still the case I need both NAA and the HQPlayer server with Roon and Roon ready?
Any news on the silver ?
The CX EX combo ends up using two Ethernet connections and hence filtration from network noise (I assume) the K50 only needs one ethernet connection does it have the same or better filtration from network noise ?

Aug 7, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #120 of 2,412
Thanks Mark,
With the CX EX combo and Roon I seemed to remember only installing the HQPlayer server is it still the case I need both NAA and the HQPlayer server with Roon and Roon ready?
Any news on the silver ?
The CX EX combo ends up using two Ethernet connections and hence filtration from network noise (I assume) the K50 only needs one ethernet connection does it have the same or better filtration from network noise ?
With Roon and HQPlayer server on the CX you would still need naa on the EX. HQPlayer will only talk to the naa. You would only need roon ready on the EX if you wanted to bypass HQP for some reason. I hope I understood your question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back