CX, EX, K, S, Oladra, Antipodes, Owners Unite
Jan 23, 2021 at 9:30 AM Post #331 of 2,468
The dim light issue was on the early models.
CEO Mark was aware of this and made changes to the later models.

Hi,

Can anyone pls share how the led(s) and pcba are for me the explore the possibility of modification on color and brightness ?

If it is 4 pins RGB multicolor type, it would be impossible to modify the color from current green to my preferred blue with my limited knowledge while brightness will probably still be possible with the correct resistor value change if it is too bright ?

My CX was bought used and it was said to have been modded to almost not lighted up because previous owner wanted it that way.

TIA and cheers.

Richard

https://www.circuitbread.com/tutorials/how-rgb-leds-work-and-how-to-control-color
Screenshot_20210123-230133_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #333 of 2,468
I found the opposite. My older EX was waaaay brighter than a brand new CX that received December 2019. The CX light is much preferred by my retinas lol.
It was more to do with the CX-EX combo with the one dimmer than the other so looked odd when they were stacked or side by side.
You won't get any variation now on the new combo setups.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 5:35 PM Post #334 of 2,468
I now have the CX in my system. I had a long listening session last night. It didn’t take long to notice that the combination is clearly quite a significant step up from the stand alone EX. I have read some posts on other forums that the CX doesn’t bring much if you mainly stream music from Tidal etc. I completely disagree, since 99% of my listening is Tidal now.

I am using a Supra ethernet cable between EX and CX for now while the Antipodes cable is getting burned in between my modem and wifi router (based on recommendation from @Clive101 since I have his old CX and he hadn’t burned in this particular cable). After 2 months I will swap the cables and report back.

There is no documentation on how to swap a Roon core from an EX to CX so here are some tips based on recommendations from Mark at Antipodes:

1. Install a new SSD in the CX and add to storage in the antipodes.online interface. I used a disk of identical type, but not sure if this is necessary.
2. Power down both CX and EX, then remove the disk installed in step 1 and replace with the disk from the EX.
3. Fire up both machines. In the settings delete the Roon core from the EX.
4. In Roon remote select the new Roon core on the CX, enter passwords for Roon and Tidal etc. Restore your latest backup.

Mark warned that it is important not to skip step 1. If you just add your EX disk in the CX and then try to add this disk to storage it will delete the contents of the disk!

To be extra safe you can make a copy of your EX disk after step1. This is a royal PITA. My tiny 150Gb library took a day to copy and at the final stage I get error message that some files couldn’t copy because of .DS_store files. This then requires going through hundreds of albums one by one to find the missing files!

For now I am leaving my setup as Roon on CX and HQPlayer on EX. I am probably missing the last fraction of sq, but don’t really enjoy faffing with computers much.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #335 of 2,468
I now have the CX in my system. I had a long listening session last night. It didn’t take long to notice that the combination is clearly quite a significant step up from the stand alone EX. I have read some posts on other forums that the CX doesn’t bring much if you mainly stream music from Tidal etc. I completely disagree, since 99% of my listening is Tidal now.

I am using a Supra ethernet cable between EX and CX for now while the Antipodes cable is getting burned in between my modem and wifi router (based on recommendation from @Clive101 since I have his old CX and he hadn’t burned in this particular cable). After 2 months I will swap the cables and report back.

There is no documentation on how to swap a Roon core from an EX to CX so here are some tips based on recommendations from Mark at Antipodes:

1. Install a new SSD in the CX and add to storage in the antipodes.online interface. I used a disk of identical type, but not sure if this is necessary.
2. Power down both CX and EX, then remove the disk installed in step 1 and replace with the disk from the EX.
3. Fire up both machines. In the settings delete the Roon core from the EX.
4. In Roon remote select the new Roon core on the CX, enter passwords for Roon and Tidal etc. Restore your latest backup.

Mark warned that it is important not to skip step 1. If you just add your EX disk in the CX and then try to add this disk to storage it will delete the contents of the disk!

To be extra safe you can make a copy of your EX disk after step1. This is a royal PITA. My tiny 150Gb library took a day to copy and at the final stage I get error message that some files couldn’t copy because of .DS_store files. This then requires going through hundreds of albums one by one to find the missing files!

For now I am leaving my setup as Roon on CX and HQPlayer on EX. I am probably missing the last fraction of sq, but don’t really enjoy faffing with computers much.

How important is the Ethernet between the 2 units. Not what I have but I difnt spend a fortune on it. I have the SOtM from the switch to the CX

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #336 of 2,468
Anyone thought about getting a K40.

I've a standalone CX playing to my Devialet 1000Pro via ethernet cable, so thinking if I upgrade then K40 would be the best choice.

Any comments appreciated :thumbsup:

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #337 of 2,468
How important is the Ethernet between the 2 units. Not what I have but I difnt spend a fortune on it. I have the SOtM from the switch to the CX

I will let you know after I swap out the cables in two months. To me it is intuitive that the cable closest to the dac/amp would be the most important, but I will make up my mind after I do the test.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:41 PM Post #338 of 2,468
My understanding is it's the other way around.

Require best ethernet into the Antipodes, with the Antipodes doing a final clean-up before sending to endpoint (if input ethernet has more 'noise' then Antipodes has more work to do to clean up).

Jan 24, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #339 of 2,468
Anyone thought about getting a K40.

I've a standalone CX playing to my Devialet 1000Pro via ethernet cable, so thinking if I upgrade then K40 would be the best choice.

Any comments appreciated :thumbsup:
My understanding is it's the other way around.

Require best ethernet into the Antipodes, with the Antipodes doing a final clean-up before sending to endpoint (if input ethernet has more 'noise' then Antipodes has more work to do to clean up).

Welcome to the thread.

Devialet 1000 pro very nice :)

If it were me get the K50 rather than the K40 and part Ex the CX. The K50 is 5 k more but if you may get a good deal from your dealer who knows you may be flat on cost (or close).

You then have no choice or worries about ethernet cables and most importantly use that S/PDIF into your Devialet, IMHO better than ethernet or USB.

I get very good results with the "Wave Cable" BNC to BNC but I am sure it could be made RCA to RCA.

The K50 and CX EX combo are immune to network noise IMHO just use the reference cable that comes with the Antipodes (it needs lots of burning in) between them and say a Supra to the network, from the K50 to the network use the Antipodes reference cable.

Try both scenarios before you part with any cash.

What I love about the K50 no fancy network switches, ethernet cables or re-clockers needed, just a Wave Cable and your good to go with one box. Oh and only one mains cable and only one shelf on the HiFi rack need I say more.

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #341 of 2,468
I have a question about using HQPlayer in a CX/EX setup. Is it better to install the HQP server on the CX and then only run the NAA on the EX? This way the EX does the bare minimum amount of processing.

I currently have the HQP server on the EX since that was all I had when I bought the license. I suppose I would need to buy another license if I want to run the HQP server on the CX.

Jan 24, 2021 at 4:35 PM Post #342 of 2,468
I have a question about using HQPlayer in a CX/EX setup. Is it better to install the HQP server on the CX and then only run the NAA on the EX? This way the EX does the bare minimum amount of processing.

I currently have the HQP server on the EX since that was all I had when I bought the license. I suppose I would need to buy another license if I want to run the HQP server on the CX.
Hey, yes that's the way I was advised to set it up

Jan 24, 2021 at 7:27 PM Post #343 of 2,468

If you contact Jussi at signalyst he will transfer your license. Use the support email on the webpage. He did that for me when I upgraded to 2.8 and the fingerprint changed.

Jan 24, 2021 at 8:29 PM Post #344 of 2,468
Welcome to the thread.

Devialet 1000 pro very nice :)

If it were me get the K50 rather than the K40 and part Ex the CX. The K50 is 5 k more but if you may get a good deal from your dealer who knows you may be flat on cost (or close).

You then have no choice or worries about ethernet cables and most importantly use that S/PDIF into your Devialet, IMHO better than ethernet or USB.

I get very good results with the "Wave Cable" BNC to BNC but I am sure it could be made RCA to RCA.

The K50 and CX EX combo are immune to network noise IMHO just use the reference cable that comes with the Antipodes (it needs lots of burning in) between them and say a Supra to the network, from the K50 to the network use the Antipodes reference cable.

Try both scenarios before you part with any cash.

What I love about the K50 no fancy network switches, ethernet cables or re-clockers needed, just a Wave Cable and your good to go with one box. Oh and only one mains cable and only one shelf on the HiFi rack need I say more.
Clive101

Thanks for the introduction to the thread.

I'm not expecting to get any more than $5k/$6k (hopefully more, but unsure) trade-in for the CX hence another $3k/$4k to upgrade to K40, whereas would be another $8k/$9k to get the K50 (too rich for me, especially as I'm not working).

My CX is being sent back to Antipodes as it has severe over heating problems after the F28 software update and will only go into play mode for a few minutes then it removes itself from the network (support have tried several times to work out what the problem is, but finally had to give up and request I send it back to Antipodes to investigate the issue). Either they can easily fix the issue or would be willing to give myself a good trade-in price to upgrade to a K40.

I know K50 would be the best option for upgrade, but just waaaaaaaaaay above my funds to purchase. I'm hoping the K40 will be a big leap over the CX and as I cause my D1000 Pro as the Roon player then just need to core solution of the K40.

Jan 25, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #345 of 2,468
My loan/demo K50 has version 4.18.1 of embedded HQPlayer and despite removing HQP and then reinstalling from 'Available Apps' on the web interface it seems stuck on that version from July 2020. The latest embedded version is 4.21.0.

Does any Antipodes owner have info on how to load the latest version?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back